• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

If Disney was smart they would throw a truck load of money at Daniel Day-Lewis to play Dr. Strange. That man can play anything and will most likely be the first actor since Heath Ledger to win an acting Oscar for his role in a superhero film.

Doctor strange was another counter culture hero like the Hulk in the 60's he lived in Greenwich Village in the early 60s which was a mecca for music, hippie counter culture, and mind expanding drugs. Ditko's cosmic art was certainly psychedelic lsd trippy inspired as well as just flat out awesome.

From wiki

The stories showcased surrealistic mystical landscapes and increasingly vivid visuals that helped make the feature a favorite of college students. Comics historian Mike Benton wrote,

"The Dr. Strange stories of the 1960s constructed a cohesive cosmology that would have thrilled any self-respecting theosophist. College students, minds freshly opened by psychedelic experiences and Eastern mysticism, read Ditko and Lee's Dr. Strange stories with the belief of a recent Hare Krishna convert. Meaning was everywhere, and readers analyzed the Dr. Strange stories for their relationship to Egyptian myths, Sumerian gods, and Jungian archetypes."[3]

"People who read 'Doctor Strange' thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But … I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do."[4]

"Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare

really? people are giving Stan Lee credit for this one too?

Guess he said the word strange in a meeting and that's all it took to claim he came up with the whole thing. Dr. Strange came out of Ditko's mind alone. Others worked with that concept afterwards.

1963 letter from Stan Lee to Jerry Bails

StanLeetoJerryBails1963p2ditkodrstrange.jpg

If Disney was smart they would throw a truck load of money at Daniel Day-Lewis to play Dr. Strange. That man can play anything and will most likely be the first actor since Heath Ledger to win an acting Oscar for his role in a superhero film.

Seconded!

Lewis would be awesome.

What happened to joaquin phoenix, I thought he was being locked up for the Dr?

Doctor strange was another counter culture hero like the Hulk in the 60's he lived in Greenwich Village in the early 60s which was a mecca for music, hippie counter culture, and mind expanding drugs. Ditko's cosmic art was certainly psychedelic lsd trippy inspired as well as just flat out awesome.

From wiki

The stories showcased surrealistic mystical landscapes and increasingly vivid visuals that helped make the feature a favorite of college students. Comics historian Mike Benton wrote,

"The Dr. Strange stories of the 1960s constructed a cohesive cosmology that would have thrilled any self-respecting theosophist. College students, minds freshly opened by psychedelic experiences and Eastern mysticism, read Ditko and Lee's Dr. Strange stories with the belief of a recent Hare Krishna convert. Meaning was everywhere, and readers analyzed the Dr. Strange stories for their relationship to Egyptian myths, Sumerian gods, and Jungian archetypes."[3]

"People who read 'Doctor Strange' thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But … I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do."[4]

"Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare

really? people are giving Stan Lee credit for this one too?

Guess he said the word strange in a meeting and that's all it took to claim he came up with the whole thing. Dr. Strange came out of Ditko's mind alone. Others worked with that concept afterwards.

1963 letter from Stan Lee to Jerry Bails

StanLeetoJerryBails1963p2ditkodrstrange.jpg

Wow! Great insight in that letter. You could sense the innocence in Stan`s thought. Little did the world know what a pop culture icon empire Marvel would become 50 years later! :o

thanks for sharing.

I don't think Daniel Day Lewis is motivated by money as much as he's motivated by a decent -script or a solid director. If you want talent like his, you need to go those routes but what do I know.

Seconded!

I'd love it too. Just can't see DDL sticking around for multiple films. Disney would want Strange to be a top tier character and DDL wouldn't want to be tied down to 3-4 films, even if they are quality ones at that.

Seconded!

I'd love it too. Just can't see DDL sticking around for multiple films. Disney would want Strange to be a top tier character and DDL wouldn't want to be tied down to 3-4 films, even if they are quality ones at that.

Maybe a big paycheck will do the trick.

Both Chris Hemsworth and Robert Downey Jr each both cleared over 30 million last year to play Thor and Iron Man.

DDL might be considered the better actor, but his pride must be hurt when Chris Hemsworth dwarfed him in salary last year.

These Marvel movies make the stars very wealthy now, so Marvel probably can get anybody they want.

One thing though why DDL probably would not go with Marvel is DDL is 57 years old! That`s kind of old for the demographics Marvel is looking for to be in a starring role. Maybe DDL could play the Ancient One instead?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

You guys are out of your mind if you think Daniel Day Lewis will play Dr. Strange. Never ever happening. Never.

It would be sweet though. :gossip:

+ 1

I do think Jack Huston can make this come off like a true-to-life Ditko version of Doctor Strange, and make this role stand out.