• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Estate Sale/How I Acquired a Grail
1 1

117 posts in this topic

First and foremost: A huge shootout to RCheli! On Wednesday he hit me up with a PM telling me about a huge estate sale in my area. We'd only ever seen each others' posts but never even interacted. Yet he went out of his way to point out an opportunity to me for business. It only further supports what I enjoy about this place and the community here. Thanks RCheli!

Also a shout out to Buzzeta for moral support. I sort of thought/think I got in over my head a bit.

Now the story:

So I looked at the estate sale during the week. It was a bunch of photos of what looked like an OO collection from a majority of the 60s. I gave the guy a call running the estate sale to try and get in early but he wasn't having it. He said no one had lived in the house in 10 YEARS. He also said he'd had a ton of interest and the only advice he could give was to get there at 6. I thought that was crazy but everyone else thought it was a good idea. Buzz suggested getting there at 5.

So this morning I left the house at 4:30. The estate sale was about 45 minutes from my house. I needed to get a bit more cash at the ATM and get out there. I was the first one there. I arrived around 5:30ish About ten minutes after I arrived, the second guy showed up. He was a record collector and pretty big estate sale/yard sale guy from VA. The third guy showed up and he was a book dealer- apparently there is big money in vintage text books (who'd a thought?). Then of course the fourth guy showed up at 6:30 and he was after comics. He was also a Spidey collector.

We got official numbers at 7 and I went off to get a cup of coffee. It started at 9 so I had some time.

When I got back, there was a lot of people and I stood out front and talked to them for a bit. Number 2 sort of pulled me aside. He knew it was my first estate sale and he'd seen I made friends with number 4 (remember the comics guy). He said when we get in there to grab it all. His first estate sale everyone had been nice to him out front and then cutthroat inside.

It turned out to be great advice and I pretty much walked in and grabbed the table. It ended up being pretty scattered issues and not as complete as the pictures online had implied. From what I gathered, the son collected comics and clearly just went and got books from time to time. It also looks like he must have been a typical product of the 60s and traded some books because a few had subscription creases but nothing consistently.

I sort of decided on my select books and left what I thought was over priced or in rough shape.

So one of my grails was also in the collection. It is rough but it was really cheap and I couldn't leave it behind. Both covers are there but no longer attached. It is rough, but it is a grail.

Pictures:

(I look a bit rough since I didn't sleep much)

IMG_5921_2_zps5f2bbdb0.jpg

The copy is rough but it is a grail. My bet is he traded or bought the copy later as it looks like he started collecting in late 63 or 64.

IMG_5925_zps38755b17.jpg

The 121 is probably the nicest book in the collection. He obviously picked it up when he was older based on the timeline.

IMG_5932_zpsd3ac8770.jpg

He must have been a Daredevil fan. The books are well read but really solid and will make great readers.

IMG_5935_zps9ae93058.jpg

He must have also really liked Sgt. Fury. I probably grabbed these more because I was being sentimental with the anniversary of D-Day. They are neat covers too.

IMG_5928_zps5ccf82b0.jpg

He had a ton of FF stuff and a pretty extensive run through the Galactus and Surfer issues.

IMG_5930_zps9e2cae6c.jpg

Sorry for the mega post. This was pretty exciting for me though and I thought I'd share. I've never picked up books like this in my life.

Congratulations! I know I'd be posting all over the place if this had happened to me! ASM #1 at an estate sale? whoda thunk it? doh!

Picking up a grail, almost by surprise, that is epic! :headbang:

Awesome.

Was that the one in Ellicott City? I heard about it and wondered if someone was going to be there from the boards.

Congrats!

Awesome.

Was that the one in Ellicott City? I heard about it and wondered if someone was going to be there from the boards.

Congrats!

Yes sir and someone was there (thumbs u

Where do you live?

Far. ;)

Just outside Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Awesome.

Congrats!

Yes sir and someone was there (thumbs u

Where do you live?

Far. ;)

Just outside Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Yea I thought you were Canadian. It was just odd to hear you mention Elicott City so casually.