• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Estate Sale/How I Acquired a Grail
1 1

117 posts in this topic

I have to ask Chris, I went to my first estate sale this past week and while I wasn't first in line (more like 20th) I did get into the house within 45 seconds of the doors opening.

By that time, there were 2 guys hoarding all the comics in both long boxes, immediately taking them to a corner of the room and not letting anyone touch them until he was picking through them.

Question: While he did in fact beat me in line to the sell, not knowing how far he drove to the sale, is it all unfair that he have the whole stack to himself, picking what he may and then handing over his leftovers?

I ask this because by this time, maybe 3 minutes into the actual sale, all comics are out of the box but none have been paid for, so technically not his, technically not mine. After I left I was rather upset knowing I had driven an hour only to get bamboozled by an eager fellow. I personally feel that if they're not paid for yet, you can give me half the stack and we go through together; we find something and we can talk about it. Perhaps that's just the naive side of me but if the situation was reversed, I shudder to think how he would've handled it.

I walked in and took everything on the table then turned over what I didn't want. It seemed odd to me, but it also was what I was told to do. The number 4 guy who was also into comics stood behind me as we went through the pile.

He was only after the ASM 1 though.

And I feel for you. It seems like an odd system but there are people that take the estate sale thing very seriously. Some of the other guys there made their living going to estate/yard sales and dealing what they got.

Maybe someone here who goes to estate sales more often can add something.

Watch for grubby hands. I have been looking at something at a store only to find a grown man reach through the space between my arm and my torso to get something that they were hyperventilating about.

There was no, "excuse me" said before I noticed I might have grown a third arm. There was no, "I'm sorry."

While I did not pull a Kav and roundhouse kick the guy. I will say, that I responded, poorly. I like my personal space and do not like people invading it.

I have to ask Chris, I went to my first estate sale this past week and while I wasn't first in line (more like 20th) I did get into the house within 45 seconds of the doors opening.

By that time, there were 2 guys hoarding all the comics in both long boxes, immediately taking them to a corner of the room and not letting anyone touch them until he was picking through them.

Question: While he did in fact beat me in line to the sell, not knowing how far he drove to the sale, is it all unfair that he have the whole stack to himself, picking what he may and then handing over his leftovers?

I ask this because by this time, maybe 3 minutes into the actual sale, all comics are out of the box but none have been paid for, so technically not his, technically not mine. After I left I was rather upset knowing I had driven an hour only to get bamboozled by an eager fellow. I personally feel that if they're not paid for yet, you can give me half the stack and we go through together; we find something and we can talk about it. Perhaps that's just the naive side of me but if the situation was reversed, I shudder to think how he would've handled it.

Estate sales can be brutal. I didn't realize that, at least in my area, people put little trinkets (bottle caps, paperclips, playing cards, etc...) on the front step to indicate their place in line now. I thought I was first in line at the last estate sale I went to, only to discover that I was about 8th. Ended up missing everything I was interested in.

I've had people literally push me and my wife out of the way to get to stuff. It's like a feeding frenzy at these things. Ugly.

I've basically stopped going. I prefer auctions and craigslist, however at auctions lately everyone seems to think they are bidding on Action Comics #1 on every comic.

Yea i couldnt handle this. Sounds like a black friday type thing and just thinking about how rude people can be too one another at this event annoys me beyond belief. Thats why i dont go, ide for sure hit someone

hm Is that where your name VIOLENTLuke comes from?

People literally went sprinting in to the house behind me. Luckily the comics were right at the door and I didn't have to go far.

It was pretty intense, and looking back on it I bought some stuff I shouldn't have. I was so excited and felt under the gun.

It was an awesome experience though and I ended up with a book I'd have had a hard time acquiring otherwise.

I am curious.

Why aren't all the haters piling on the OP about how he ripped off the estate by only paying 10% or less of the real value?

If Mile High Chuck had done this he would be castigated, with many wanting to castrate him as well.

BTW my personal opinion is that neither party did anything wrong. Perhaps the Estate Sales people really messed up, but that is between the family and them.

Only time I was at an Estate sale, absolutely nothing was marked. Had I known how inexpensive thing were I might have bought more

Given what you guys have just said I'm not sure I'd do well at one of these.

I'd probably kill someone, or at least maim them.

Peace,

Chip

I have a bad habit of getting into intense discussions with some of these folks. I never use swear words. I simply let them know how rude and inconsiderate they are. Most of the time, this doesn't go over very well. I once had a guy of about 70+ threaten to coldcock me.

First and foremost: A huge shootout to RCheli! On Wednesday he hit me up with a PM telling me about a huge estate sale in my area. We'd only ever seen each others' posts but never even interacted. Yet he went out of his way to point out an opportunity to me for business. It only further supports what I enjoy about this place and the community here. Thanks RCheli!

I hope you threw him something for the heads up about the estate sale.

I think with estate sales you just get there early,pay for the books/boxes right away,go home and thumb through them.If you get a gem awesome,if not,better luck next time.

I am curious.

Why aren't all the haters piling on the OP about how he ripped off the estate by only paying 10% or less of the real value?

If Mile High Chuck had done this he would be castigated, with many wanting to castrate him as well.

BTW my personal opinion is that neither party did anything wrong. Perhaps the Estate Sales people really messed up, but that is between the family and them.

Only time I was at an Estate sale, absolutely nothing was marked. Had I known how inexpensive thing were I might have bought more

Haha who said I paid 10% of FMV? I wish. What a score this would have been...

I think with estate sales you just get there early,pay for the books/boxes right away,go home and thumb through them.If you get a gem awesome,if not,better luck next time.

I would miss out in this circumstance because I would treat it like I was at a comic show and someone else was looking at the box of comics I want to look through and they got there ahead of me. I patiently wait until it is my turn.

I also probably don't bother waiting as I assume the guy ahead of me will buy anything and everything I would be wanting. (shrug)

Is also why I wouldn't bother going in the first place.

I am curious.

How did you arrive at that figure?

I am curious.

Many estate sales are managed by a professional company. At what point do we become responsible for a company if they price it to low

I am curious.

Many estate sales are managed by a professional company. At what point do we become responsible for a company if they price it to low

At what point does any adult become responsible for how much another competent adult freely sells an item for? (Provided you're not acting in some very professional paid capacity creating a conflict of interest, like an appraiser or agent.) I don't tell the manager at the grocery store that he undercharging for bananas.

Where is the line between getting a good deal and ripping someone off? What if I need the money from flipping the item to feed my homeless family, or pay for a child's surgery? I think every case is unique and subjective, too tough to judge, and therefore I think we shouldn't.