• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Estate Sale/How I Acquired a Grail
1 1

117 posts in this topic

The way the guy today said he priced them was to go to ebay. He then looked for completed sales and tried to price them based on the sales. However, he did say he cut the price in half after he saw the listing. So they weren't all fixed prices. For the most part, stuff was 5, 10, and 15. However, he knew some of the keys were worth more and priced accordingly.

You also have to remember that while there are some key issues in there, the condition isn't outstanding. These were a kids collection and clearly he loved them as a kid.

What gets me, the son is still alive and in his 50s or early 60s. If he loved his comics so much, why would he put them in his parents' estate sale?

Maybe the son either outgrew comics as he got older or just didn't realize/know they were there. My father in law had all the early Marvels (he always says specifically Spider-Man and Fantastic Four) and thought they were in his Mother's attic when he went to college. He mostly forgot about them until he was in his late 20s and wanted to take them to his own house finally and she told him she'd gotten rid of them years ago. Maybe this instance for your find is the exact opposite. Parents held onto them and son really just didn't care anymore?

Congrats!

I see ads for estate sales, and I think, I'm totally going to that, and then I never do.

I really need to start checking these things out.

The number of sales that are a complete waste of time far outweigh the sales with comics like these.

Unless you're in the market for bread makers and overpriced "antiques." If so, you'll be happy with what you find at estate sales.

Isn't it enough to just be happy for the guy? (shrug)

It's irrelevant how much he paid and personally, I don't think it's very couth to keep asking. At least not in his celebration thread.

It's irrelevant how much he paid and personally, I don't think it's very couth to keep asking. At least not in his celebration thread.

what he said.

I certainly don't ask OOs what they paid for their keys. :insane:

Grats on the sweet books!

He paid low enough that he still has a smile on his face, that's all that matters.

Congrats man!

He paid low enough that he still has a smile on his face, that's all that matters.

Congrats man!

I love it when grails are acquired,congrats man! :applause:

Congrats!

I see ads for estate sales, and I think, I'm totally going to that, and then I never do.

I really need to start checking these things out.

The number of sales that are a complete waste of time far outweigh the sales with comics like these.

Unless you're in the market for bread makers and overpriced "antiques." If so, you'll be happy with what you find at estate sales.

+1

I've gone to a variety of them and the only thing I leave with is the shocked feeling of seeing someone pay 3X what they should for something because they get "auction fever".

I'm sure there are great ones, but for the most part where I live - they are hilariously overpriced garage sales.