• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Estate Sale/How I Acquired a Grail
1 1

117 posts in this topic

I'm guessin $2000 for the ASM #1

You don't go to many estate sales, do you?

Never been to one

Well, just so you (and others who have never been to an estate sale) know how things go, when they have comics, the usually price them per piece. Usually, it's $1 or $2 or $5 or sometimes $10. They very, very rarely differentiate the costs based on type or even age of comics.

To a person running an estate sale, a Roy Rogers comic from 1954 is just as popular (if not more) than a Haunt of Fear published the same month. And they may both cost $20. We know different, but they don't. And that's because estate sale companies' job is to empty out houses by selling as much as possible for as much as they possibly can. They may know that old comics are worth something the same way they know that old pottery is worth something or old tools or cameras.

Most don't have the understanding of all of the nuances of comics, because it's just not worth it to know a lot because they have to know stuff about everything.

They may see a #1 and think it's valuable, so you'll see Image from the 90s priced at $10 and high numbered comics from the 60s priced at $2.

However, there are rarely amazing deals at estate sales. This was a once in every 5 or 10 years type of a sale, especially considering the comics lasted until the day of the sale. (A lot of times they're sold before the sale begins.)

I do searches for stuff all the time, but it's no way to make a living (at least with comics). Now furniture or clothing or jewelry is another story, because every estate sale has that stuff.

Is there a way to get on your notification list? hm

:grin:

I have many, many searches. It's why I'm one of the top comic sellers on my block in Chicago.

Edited by RCheli

I'm the top comic collector in my 5 unit apartment complex....

Awesome.

Was that the one in Ellicott City? I heard about it and wondered if someone was going to be there from the boards.

Congrats!

Yes sir and someone was there (thumbs u

Where do you live?

Far. ;)

Just outside Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Yea I thought you were Canadian. It was just odd to hear you mention Elicott City so casually.

I've been there which is why I instantly recognized it.

It was advertised on cragislist as well. Thought about going over, but glad someone who appreciated it more got it.

I just saw it today and was at work.

I think it was run by the same people that setup the one in southern Md and that was an overpriced CF.

Congrats to the OP on picking up some books. :headbang:

My guess is he paid no more than $400 for all. He went to an ATM for cash and most banks out a limit on daily withdrawal at an ATM

He had cash on hand. He went to the ATM to "get a bit more"

I would say more than that.

For the rest of you asking how much he paid. He has not said, respect the privacy in that if he wanted you to know, he would have disclosed that information already.

Let it go Indiana... let it go.