• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The centerpiece of your collection

282 posts in this topic

I'm going to cheat and pick a group of books rather than just one. My under 100 Action Comics. :cloud9:

IMG_0906_zps8d7d872e.jpg

IMG_0915_zps864f8b4e.jpg

If I had to pick just one it would be the #23.

Fun

I guess I will get off the pot and for a single book say my Nelvana :) I don't have a good pic of it handy, but there was this pic of my copy floating around on google. I can tell its mine as it has the characteristic light dust shadow along spine.

NELVANA.jpg

For me the center piece is my set of the four John Carter of Mars covers from The Funnies. It took me years to put this set together as these books are incredibly rare -- especially 36. Three of these (35, 37, and 40) are File Copies and three of them (35, 36, and 37) are the highest graded copies. This group may not move the needle like some the big superhero books in this thread, but for this ERB fan, putting this set together was one of the biggest and toughest accomplishments I've done as a collector.

evlQkO7.jpg3YXwKsW.jpg

rG3jxpY.jpgtW7kKNA.jpg

Outside of comics, my centerpiece is probably my Fantasy Fan #7 from 1934. This rare fanzine is one of only a handful that still exist and features the first publication of the Conan story "Frost Giant's Daughter" (retitled "Gods of the North"). Far rarer than any of the Conan Weird Tales and it's in great shape for such a fragile item.

3lvVJy2.jpg

UZSHqKl.jpg

I'm going to cheat and pick a group of books rather than just one. My under 100 Action Comics. :cloud9:

IMG_0906_zps8d7d872e.jpg

IMG_0915_zps864f8b4e.jpg

Fun

What a beautiful group of funny books. :applause:

IMG_0906_zps8d7d872e.jpg

IMG_0915_zps864f8b4e.jpg

A stellar group of comics :applause:

We should start calling you Century Man

Outside of comics, my centerpiece is probably my Fantasy Fan #7 from 1934. This rare fanzine is one of only a handful that still exist and features the first publication of the Conan story "Frost Giant's Daughter" (retitled "Gods of the North"). Far rarer than any of the Conan Weird Tales and it's in great shape for such a fragile item.

3lvVJy2.jpg

UZSHqKl.jpg

You know I like this (and yes, the condition is incredible for this title)! :cloud9:

Probably this page full of scribbles.

thundaoaboard.jpg

Got to see it in person. :cloud9:

(thumbs u Yeah, I got a kick out of the fact that Patrice's picture in the Howard days promo I saw was taken in my comic room.

Yeah, he loves that pic and still talks about that visit to your amazing museu... er... home.

There were many wonderful books in this thread (thumbs u

My collecting focus is, well, not very focused. :blush: I like to own a variety of comics featuring different artists, genres, time periods and themes representative of the first 30 years of the American newsstand comic.

That makes it more than a bit difficult to pick a "centerpiece" but this book is as good as any example of the type of comic that is a bit outside the mainstream but still expressing the power and the range of the medium in its early days.

RealLife3new.jpg