• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by your collection?

98 posts in this topic

The statement that SOT wrote is pretty much about true, In my case, I'd maybe live to be 80 something. I'm not a smoker nor drinker myself. but who can never know? (shrug)

Anyone remember the story in "Amazing Stories" - the chap who hoarded all the stuff in an old Dressraburg car? I'm little bit like that character (without the car).

Of course, tomorrow is an unknown day - we all can never know what will come up in our faces! (knock wood)

At the moment I have about 10 short boxes and another 8 boxes of assorted books all stored inside. Then another 4-5 boxes of comic book related stuff. All over in my room. Doing fine but I sure need my own comic book room! lol

Next year - when I start look for my own place ... maybe I'll finally have a den room to call my "man cave" :cloud9:

Time is what what overwhelms me with my collection.

They were all in the attic and taking over till my brother built a room in my garage for them. Now I have space for filling cabinets but little time to spend on sorting it. In my head I have a perfect ocd dream of five cabinets perfectly full of comics each bagged and boarded and in order. I will get there in time.

I think I only have one short box of unsorted comics out of around 7000 so I'm not doing to bad.

I was pretty overwhelmed and frustrated in 2003. I sold my entire collection and didn't buy another comic book for 9 years. Since I started collecting again, I narrowed my focus considerably, and am much happier with my state of organization.

7 short magazine boxes filled with Marvel 12 and 15 cent covers. It's taken me 2 years or so to accumulate that much. Beats the tar out of the 14 long boxes of Bronze books that I had back in 03, at least for me. Couldn't be happier with my collection.

I was pretty overwhelmed and frustrated in 2003. I sold my entire collection and didn't buy another comic book for 9 years. Since I started collecting again, I narrowed my focus considerably, and am much happier with my state of organization.

7 short magazine boxes filled with Marvel 12 and 15 cent covers. It's taken me 2 years or so to accumulate that much. Beats the tar out of the 14 long boxes of Bronze books that I had back in 03, at least for me. Couldn't be happier with my collection.

I've been pretty overwhelmed with my collection for the last 2-3 years at least. I'd like to sell most of it off and narrow my focus. Problem is, how do you sell off over 40K comics (shrug)

I even got as far as downloading Turbo Lister 2 from ebay, but the piece of junk won't work.

The best and worst thing I've done was get into original art doh!

Yes, definitely. I had about 40 or so long boxes, 20-some short, and 6 magazine boxes. My wife (the BOSS), said I have to reduce, so that's what I did. Sold about 7 or so long, and a few shorts, made a dent in it for sure!

Problem is though, I see a craigslist or maybe a flea market deal and can't pass up, and boom! Before you know it, I have 3 or 4 more long boxes! My wife (the BOSS), shakes her head and walks away...

Now that I'm getting older, hair is growing in even funnier places.

Is it time to contemplate that ear-hair comb-over you've always dreamed of, to cover up that Friar Tuck bald-spot...,? :think:

Not going bald yet, so my wife has been braiding it for me. People tend to leave you alone when you walk around with braided ear hair. :eek:

To those of you that have sold off large numbers of your books, how did you do it? The cricket choir that are my sales threads has left me looking beyond the boards and eBay.

I think my biggest problem is letting go of all the stuff that I know is nothing more than good kindling, simply because I've had them for so many years. I honestly could whittle my collection down to 2 or 3 short boxes of the stuff that I really love.

It's hard letting go...(sniff) someone hold me :cry:

lol

I can deal with the emotional side, how do you actually move them, though?

Well...all of the books you have I'm sure are not really "collectable"? Goodwill, local library, youth homes, community centers....these are some choices. I'm going to give a lot of books to places like this.

If I'm not now, I'm getting really close...

2 Christmas' ago my girlfriend bought me the death of superman comic I had when I was young(er). Starting collecting last February, just a few books here and there. Then some keys and more expensive issues. In April I bought my first collection, about 800 books, and now I'm up to about 100 long boxes.

I'm in the process of turning my guest room into a comic room...no more sleepovers.

Making it worse it that with my extremely limited mobility(I'm quadriplegic for those who don't know), sorting by myself isn't an option. I have a couple people that help me, but I've definitely bit off more than I can chew.

Hopefully the comic room will help cause if not I might be single soon.

Yes, I tried organizing some stuff today and that is exactly what I felt...overwhelmed. Yet, I do not want to get rid of anything because the moment I do, it will be hot. lol

Happened to me...I looked at my 25 long boxes, and for years realized I would never sit and read many of them again. I sold 10 boxes (on these boards, no less), and of course many of the books are now hot. No big deal, I wanted to get the books on to the next person that would actually enjoy them. I'd owned many of the books for 30 years or more...Ms Marvel, Nova, Warlock...all pretty hot now, and in the hands of someone that will appreciate them (or sold them to someone else who will!)

There is a part of me that wishes I hadn't sold them, but honestly, if they were sitting in my comic room in a box, I'd browse through them about the same amount as what I can now, which is to say not at all.

To those of you that have sold off large numbers of your books, how did you do it? The cricket choir that are my sales threads has left me looking beyond the boards and eBay.

I think it depends on how cheap you are willing to go? (shrug) I am going to start selling of comic runs some at VCC this time around and then I am forced to go either on Ebay or Craigslist.

Two years ago, I had great success on CL. Not that I made a ton but I was able to move lots of comics there. No shipping for me is a great incentive to sell cheap. This year, no one is buying anything. A lot of local business by me are either empty or going out of business. So I don't really expect to be able to sell a whole lot at the moment.

I was doing a lot of trading with MCS but they now offer too little to make the shipping worth while. Plus their comics now are too expensive now so if I take a credit, I feel like I am overpaying.

Hi. This is a quick note specifically to the several people in this thread who have mentioned trying to organize their comic collection.

I have just started a website that allows collectors (of anything) to organize and showcase their collection by creating their own website. As it is just getting started, I am still looking for testers to try it out. I don't have any comic collectors at this stage, so would love to have one or two try it out!

This would be totally for free, and I would help you step by step. In return I would just ask for any feedback (good and bad) that you may have along the way.

I don't want to waste anyone's time, so I should caution that there is no way of waving a magic wand and your collection is organized. You do have to be serious. But if you want to, it is entirely possible.

If you are interested, have a look at the website at The Collecting Bug www.thecollectingbug.com and then email or message me, and I will send you more details.

Thanks! Philip

I think it depends on how cheap you are willing to go? (shrug) I am going to start selling of comic runs some at VCC this time around and then I am forced to go either on Ebay or Craigslist.

Two years ago, I had great success on CL. Not that I made a ton but I was able to move lots of comics there. No shipping for me is a great incentive to sell cheap. This year, no one is buying anything. A lot of local business by me are either empty or going out of business. So I don't really expect to be able to sell a whole lot at the moment.

I was doing a lot of trading with MCS but they now offer too little to make the shipping worth while. Plus their comics now are too expensive now so if I take a credit, I feel like I am overpaying.

I had the same CL experience. Sold about 25 long boxes a few years ago. But zero success this year. Honestly, I've hardly tried because it wasn't working. Stupid, because there is no sell potential if not available to the public.

Patrick