• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Summer Featured Auction

338 posts in this topic

I'm shocked by the ASM #141 cover result - between the vellum and Spidey's back turned, I would have guessed closer to half of the final price. The ASM #239 at $46,444 also exceeded my expectations by about 10%. The Conan #88 cover at $20,583 shocked me - nice cover, but I thought it would go for something more like $12K. Sienkiewicz Elektra: Assassin cover at $50K went at the high end of what I thought ($40-$50K).

Agree with you on the ASM 141. I don't mind the vellum at all, and the cast of villains is wonderful, but Spidey's back is turned to the viewer and for me, that detracts from the overall appeal.

Romita Jr ASM 239 cover...I would think this is the most $$$ paid for a Romita Jr cover in a public sale. I'm not certain if the ASM 238 cover would top it, but I prefer this one. I think this more than doubles the highest price paid for a Romita Jr X-Men cover in a public sale.

Conan 88 cover. At first I thought it was expensive, but Buscema art has been on a strong upswing for several years, and based on recent public sales for his other Conan covers and splashes from this era, I think this falls in line with those prices realized.

I say don't look at what the cover doesn't have (Spidey's face) but rather what it does have: great shots of EVERYone else.

If Spidey had not been present, that would have been a big problem. Shot of him with his back turned? Not so bad in this case. Not ideal, but not so bad considering everything else you get.

I believe the world record price for a private sale of comic book art is cool million or that is the asking price now ( Spiderman #50 by JR). That being so, I would think the price is a very good one considering every inch of the cover is used for hero/villain. His covers are really gonna take off ( see the other cover that sold for over 40K by his son and when prices go way up, collectors are gonna have to go for the son).

I'm shocked by the ASM #141 cover result - between the vellum and Spidey's back turned, I would have guessed closer to half of the final price. The ASM #239 at $46,444 also exceeded my expectations by about 10%. The Conan #88 cover at $20,583 shocked me - nice cover, but I thought it would go for something more like $12K. Sienkiewicz Elektra: Assassin cover at $50K went at the high end of what I thought ($40-$50K).

Agree with you on the ASM 141. I don't mind the vellum at all, and the cast of villains is wonderful, but Spidey's back is turned to the viewer and for me, that detracts from the overall appeal.

Romita Jr ASM 239 cover...I would think this is the most $$$ paid for a Romita Jr cover in a public sale. I'm not certain if the ASM 238 cover would top it, but I prefer this one. I think this more than doubles the highest price paid for a Romita Jr X-Men cover in a public sale.

Conan 88 cover. At first I thought it was expensive, but Buscema art has been on a strong upswing for several years, and based on recent public sales for his other Conan covers and splashes from this era, I think this falls in line with those prices realized.

I say don't look at what the cover doesn't have (Spidey's face) but rather what it does have: great shots of EVERYone else.

If Spidey had not been present, that would have been a big problem. Shot of him with his back turned? Not so bad in this case. Not ideal, but not so bad considering everything else you get.

I believe the world record price for a private sale of comic book art is cool million or that is the asking price now ( Spiderman #50 by JR). That being so, I would think the price is a very good one considering every inch of the cover is used for hero/villain. His covers are really gonna take off ( see the other cover that sold for over 40K by his son and when prices go way up, collectors are gonna have to go for the son).

That cover went over 40K because it's a memorable image from the second appearance of the Hobgoblin - a book that has been broken out in price guides for almost 30 years now. Not because it's JRJR. And the sale has even less to do with JRSR's market. Nobody is going to buy JRJR because they can't afford his dad's art.

Also, did anyone else hear that the ASM #50 cover sold for $1 million? That's in another zip code from the price I heard (though I only heard second-hand).

Did not sell for 1M. I'd say I'd eat my shorts if it did but I've not had too much luck with that bet of late...

ultimately I think the reserves (on a lot of auctions) discouraged people from getting involved in bidding

Agreed. Reserves can be a real turn off.

I think reserves are good for sellers and bad in that it guarantees the item won't sell for less than what they value it at, but at the same time there's a lot of buyers / bidders who don't like reserves for some reason and speculate either higher prices (a la coollines) with a "why bother?" attitude, or feel some sort of strategy that if they don't bid and the reserve isn't met, the seller will be forced to reduce the price maybe without a reserve as well and the piece will inherently be semi-valued, so bidding wars may cease at certain levels potentially.

My take on reserves as a buyer is to bid on 'em as much as the piece is worth to me regardless of the reserve being met or not, and that's my "best efforts bid", unless the piece is out of my price range from the get go and it's just a tease, I leave it alone (i.e. I'd never have bid on the Incredible Hulk #180 end page because I know I'd not be able to afford it under almost any reasonable condition or situation)

I do think the "no reserve" also from an engagement level gets everyone involved from the ground floor and in theory, sans deadbeats, it's guaranteed to sell, so most buyers will approach it with more vigor than an auction whose reserve hasn't been met yet.

Honestly, a reserve really does make me not want to bother. A reserve says "this isnt really an auction, its a chance to pay OVER retail if you are lucky enough to win the bid."

If you want to sell the item for a set high retail/over price then just call it out with an opening minimum bid. Because having an auction with a reserve is basically lying. Just start the auction at the minimum the person will take. Why play games with letting people bid amounts that by design can never possibly be honored? Why even record it?

Nobody is going to buy JRJR because they can't afford his dad's art.

This.

Seconded

That's true. They are separate people with separate names and styles.

If legacy were the case, then the sons of Neal Adams would be commanding the same prices as he does for commissions, but they don't.

Ken Griffey Jr is better than his dad Ken Griffey Sr. Barry Bonds was a better player than his father Barry Bonds. Michael Jordan's son never made it as a professional NBA player. Cecil Fielder's son, Prince Fielder is on par with his dad, maybe slightly better. Stephan Curry is a better player than his dad, Del Curry.

I think the only interesting collectible would be art by both Romita's, so John Romita Sr or Jr. doing inks over the other's pencils for a family collaboration, whose value is heavily tied to the rendering by John Romita Sr.

But, yes, one has nothing to do with the other and a JR JR is no substitution for a JR SR and vice versa for that matter for fans of JR JR.

I'd say JR JR's art does stand on it's own merits, especially his work on Iron Man with Bob Layton. So, 'tho JR JR isn't as highly touted or valued as JR SR, he's still a known and respected force within comics on his own.

Also, did anyone else hear that the ASM #50 cover sold for $1 million? That's in another zip code from the price I heard (though I only heard second-hand).

Maybe you don't know Oleg as well as you thought hm

That cover went over 40K because it's a memorable image from the second appearance of the Hobgoblin - a book that has been broken out in price guides for almost 30 years now. Not because it's JRJR. And the sale has even less to do with JRSR's market. Nobody is going to buy JRJR because they can't afford his dad's art.

You're right, nobody is going to buy JRJR because they can't afford his dad's work, but some of us, including myself, would buy it because we like JRJR work, especially his first run on ASM, notwithstanding who his dad is.

ultimately I think the reserves (on a lot of auctions) discouraged people from getting involved in bidding

Agreed. Reserves can be a real turn off.

I wish that were the case for this Venom cover! Winning bid was triple the reserve :mad:

149945.jpg.ce5c1ac1911a73f1bb1a33eaec41e9f3.jpg

Im still at :o with Tim Sale Long Halloween selling at 16K

Confirming what I had long feared but suspected that prices for the two main Tim Sale Batman books are getting the respect they've deserved for years. A few years back a wonderful 2 page spread went for over $5k, which caused nothing but trouble for fans of the books trying to buy more pieces from them. lol This is a gorgeous rock star stand alone piece from LH. I can understand the demand and the battle for it.

Ya Chris I remember that sale at Heritage, its the DPS where Batman is perched on the gargoyle; I also felt dread that my 4K bid got obliterated and knew that things were going to get tougher in the TS-LH market.

Oh well, there's always Dark Victory artwork, as long as no one starts talking about it. D'oh!

You're right, nobody is going to buy JRJR because they can't afford his dad's work, but some of us, including myself, would buy it because we like JRJR work, especially his first run on ASM, notwithstanding who his dad is.

Did I say otherwise? There's nothing wrong with JRJR's art, only with Mitch's logic.

Im still at :o with Tim Sale Long Halloween selling at 16K

Confirming what I had long feared but suspected that prices for the two main Tim Sale Batman books are getting the respect they've deserved for years. A few years back a wonderful 2 page spread went for over $5k, which caused nothing but trouble for fans of the books trying to buy more pieces from them. lol This is a gorgeous rock star stand alone piece from LH. I can understand the demand and the battle for it.

Ya Chris I remember that sale at Heritage, its the DPS where Batman is perched on the gargoyle; I also felt dread that my 4K bid got obliterated and knew that things were going to get tougher in the TS-LH market.

Oh well, there's always Dark Victory artwork, as long as no one starts talking about it. D'oh!

(tsk):censored:

TLH use to have a premium over DV, but I think that premium is pretty much gone and they are the same prices. Even the pre-TLH batman use to be less regarded (and lower priced) but this batch at clink so those sell for decent amounts too.

Malvin

Ah Joe, looks like you nabbed your Perez Cover and can exit stage left the market (thumbs u :hi: Having seen it in person this is a great piece, very early in the run (1981 end of first year) and George put some attention to detail on this one even for him. The $$$ to consignor are a tad more than what I was thinking about privately but not too much more so congrats to the new owner and consignor who are both really good guys. (thumbs u

Thanks, this is the piece I really wanted and frankly was prepared to pay more, its going to primo wall real estate once it arrives!

Could not be happier with this one.

The nice thing about the Sale discussion is that it got me to buy and read The Long Halloween! Awesome!!! Now I want some art :insane:

I believe the world record price for a private sale of comic book art is cool million or that is the asking price now ( Spiderman #50 by JR).

One million dollars for the ASM 50 cover?

Reportedly it was over $500,000 but the buyer didn't want the exact price made public.

http://oaelite.blogspot.com/p/comic-line-art-covers-100k.html