• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1

CGC No Grade: 0.3

Publisher: Timely
Bid History: Sold For
$9,556 

38 Bids 

Time Left:
Auction Ended

End Time: 7:58 PM EDT
Tuesday 9/12/2017
Comments: ow/white pgs; cvrless
Kirby & Simon cvr/art; origin & 1st app. Captain America, Bucky, & Red Skull; classic Hitler cvr!

2 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1

CGC No Grade: 0.3

Publisher: Timely
Bid History: Sold For
$9,556 

38 Bids 

Time Left:
Auction Ended

End Time: 7:58 PM EDT
Tuesday 9/12/2017
Comments: ow/white pgs; cvrless
Kirby & Simon cvr/art; origin & 1st app. Captain America, Bucky, & Red Skull; classic Hitler cvr!

you beat me to the posting

Edited by Action Comics

4 minutes ago, Action Comics said:
On 9/11/2017 at 7:53 AM, Chicago Boy said:

That's a real nice looking coverless copy.  I'm going with 10k.

Sold for $9556 so you were pretty much spot on 

Yeah, I was way high at $17K.  Surprises me that a nice complete coverless copy went for (a bit) less than $10K.  If the buyer has a cover .... 

I think the demand for these coverless books is low.  If only one showed up a year then there could be crazy bidding wars, but there have been 5+ Cap #1s offered in the past 2 years.   But then again if you need a centerfold you gotta do what you gotta do.  Then piece out the rest.    

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I was way high at $17K.  Surprises me that a nice complete coverless copy went for (a bit) less than $10K.  If the buyer has a cover .... 

Well, even with a super nice cover you would only get a max grade of 4.0 and most likely qualified at that.   Would a 2.0 qualified end product be worth the $17 + Cover costs?  Prob $30 total spent?   I'm not sure.

Edited by Knightsofold

1 minute ago, Knightsofold said:
7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, even with a super nice cover you would only get a max grade of 4.0 and most likely qualified at that.   Would a 2.0 qualified end product be worth the $17 + Cover costs?  Prob $30?

It would depend on the cover.  Would definitely come back qualified with a married cover.  I could see a 2.0 qualified that presented well doing $30K.  A 4.0 qualified would go for way more, I would think.  But, then, I thought this coverless copy would go significantly higher than it did! :)

4 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Well, even with a super nice cover you would only get a max grade of 4.0 and most likely qualified at that.   Would a 2.0 qualified end product be worth the $17 + Cover costs?  Prob $30 total spent?   I'm not sure.

Did you ever marry your cover and coverless copy?

1 minute ago, Action Comics said:

Did you ever marry your cover and coverless copy?

No, it's still really fun to view em side by side.  Plus, I'd rather put the $ it would take to grade into another comic.

I paid more for my coverless than this latest auction, but not too much more.  I think around 10k is fair, but could fluctuate greatly in both directions IMO.

33321466902_9cf51a19f6_h.jpg 

Just now, Knightsofold said:

No, it's still really fun to view em side by side.  Plus, I'd rather put the $ it would take to grade into another comic.

I paid more for my coverless than this latest auction, but not too much more.  I think around 10k is fair, but could fluctuate greatly in both directions IMO.

33321466902_9cf51a19f6_h.jpg 

:cloud9:

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It would depend on the cover.  Would definitely come back qualified with a married cover.  I could see a 2.0 qualified that presented well doing $30K.  A 4.0 qualified would go for way more, I would think.  But, then, I thought this coverless copy would go significantly higher than it did! :)

If you got really lucky with your cover and interior there's always a chance it would come back blue.  But with Timely manufacturing, you could go through a dozen or more of each just to try to match up exterior edges and staple holes.  Would be much easier if you knew it was a purple. 

45 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I think the demand for these coverless books is low.  If only one showed up a year then there could be crazy bidding wars, but there have been 5+ Cap #1s offered in the past 2 years.   But then again if you need a centerfold you gotta do what you gotta do.  Then piece out the rest.    

Not too long ago, a coverless Cap #1 could be had for 5-6K. My experience, as it pertains to demand, has been the opposite.

I thought this copy would sell for 12-15K, so we're not there yet. Congrats to the winner if anyone on the boards won it. 

3 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Not too long ago, a coverless Cap #1 could be had for 5-6K. My experience, as it pertains to demand, has been the opposite.

I thought this copy would sell for 12-15K, so we're not there yet. Congrats to the winner if anyone on the boards won it. 

I wish we could find out where the other coverless ones went. 

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

There does seem to be an inordinate amount of coverless Cap 1's out there.  So much of this book's value is in its cover.  The real score was Knight's cover that he picked up for  $10k a ways back. I would imagine that would go for a lot more now.  

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

There does seem to be an inordinate amount of coverless Cap 1's out there.  So much of this book's value is in its cover.  The real score was Knight's cover that he picked up for  $10k a ways back. I would imagine that would go for a lot more now.  

-J.

I had a cap 1 missing centerfold for something like 15 years without ever seeing even one coverless copy.