• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

Yeah...that's how the graders notes read from a book I was looking at that had the slightly brittle pages designation.  Sorry to derail the conversation too much but just one more quick question on the subject.  Does pages splitting from spine necessarily mean those pages are brown or tan?  I'm guessing even if you did resub a book that had slightly brittle pages, you risk it coming back graded as brittle as well...or that if the spine splitting generally indicates tan to brown anyway, there'd be no point resubbing because people who would shy totally away from a slightly brittle book, probably have no interest in a brown- tan book either.  Also...isn't calling something 'slightly brittle' about the same as calling someone slightly dead...?

Page color does not always coincide with asigned "quality"...typically it's comparable, but not always. 

On 7/3/2017 at 8:44 PM, Jaydogrules said:

hm You know I'm just not seeing that.  My copy (thanks again, Reece) says "ow/w" on the label and that little exposed piece of paper doesn't look any different on it than it does on mine.  To me, the book just looks dirty, but like a very, very nice 1.0, cover attached, and everything.  I don't see anything that really "looks" brittle to me, like pieces of the book falling off and laying at the bottom of the well.  

If anything, considering restored, trimmed, married, incomplete 0.5 copies have gone for $20k, if I was a gambling man or a dealer, I would definitely buy this copy and CPR it.  I would send it to CCS raw, let them do their thing, and have it re-graded.  I have no doubt that this book's grade would improve, and since the "PQ" on the label ain't getting any lower, and odds are, would improve, I would have nothing to lose at all.  

Just a thought.

-J.

I dont know what you dont see.  There is clearly splitting of the paper at the top of the spine.  The spine may be mostly split as well and i am not 100% sure the cover is attached.  The bottom staple is torn and I can't see the top one.  As Rick said that black is likely mold damage.

As for CCS pressing it i had them kick back a Cr-Ow book because it was to fragile to press.  It is much harder to press golden age books. Regardless i am sure the brittle pages are turning others like myself off.

James G

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

Solid.  So the .5 restored at 20k. This one at 36k.   Where's that leave the two .5 universals ?  25k ?  Do they squeeze 30??   Is the highest graded book a million dollar book yet ??

Well evidently the "brittle pages" on the label might have discouraged some people from bidding, no matter how good it looked from the front, so $36k is low for a 1.0.  It may have gone for 40 or more(?) if it didn't say "brittle", which I would imagine would put a decent blue 0.5 at around  $30k.

-J.

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I'll second that 1. What gives ??

I've never been able to find the actual selling prices on eBay.  If you go off eBay, it just says $44,000 crossed out and "best offer accepted".  Watchcount provides the bid history for the 1.0.  4 unique bidders in total (if you omit the multiple bids from the same user):

$36k, $27.5k, $20k, $20k

Edited by Riddler

9 minutes ago, Riddler said:

I've never been able to find the actual selling prices on eBay.  If you go off eBay, it just says $44,000 crossed out and "best offer accepted".  Watchcount provides the bid history for the 1.0.  8 bids in total at an average of $22.6k:

$36k, $32k, $30k, $27.5k, $26.5k, $20k, $20k, $15k, $10k

The final accepted offer was $36k as shown in the original link I provided and as also reflected now on GPA.

-J.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I see Adam was gunning for it as well. Brittle pages surely kept him from going higher :eek:

$36K for a 1.0 with brittle pages.  Yipes! 

I won't go into "I can remember when mode" but I can remember when! :preach: 

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Brittle pages surely kept him from going higher :eek:

Page quality doesn't matter, or haven't you heard.

There's nothing quite as distasteful as someone constantly pushing theories and isolated data points in order to enhance similar books in their own collection.

16 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

$12k.

Greg Reece just listed at blue label 3.5.  I feel like this is a boardie book:

http://www.reececomics.com/Comics/CAPTAIN_AMERICA_1_CGC_3_5_LT_OW_PAGES

-J.

I think I've seen this copy before.  I remember that big ole rat chew on the edge.  Would be interesting to see how much it sells since i haven't seen a complete unrestored copy sell recently.

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I think I've seen this copy before.  I remember that big ole rat chew on the edge.  Would be interesting to see how much it sells since i haven't seen a complete unrestored copy sell recently.

Didn't a 3.0 blue label (or around there)  sell instantly at BIN on one of the auction sites recently? ComicLink I think. I vaguely remember a friend saying someone got a heck of a deal. Around $80,000?