• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any ethics left in this hobby ?

700 posts in this topic

Biting someone during a football / soccer match.

1 - Inflicts physical harm

2 - Impacts the individual who did the biting as it impacts the prospects for their career

3 - Impacts the teem as a whole they lose a player to suspension.

Yeah, impacts them so much that another team is negotiating right now for the right to pay US$120 million for the rights to sign Suarez and give him a massive pay raise.

As we`ve learned from the whole Michael Vick "rehabilitation", you can commit virtually any kind of heinous crime, but if you can score goals, TDs, etc., then all will be forgiven.

As someone who posts rarely (possibly fresh perspective), I will say that the thread reads like the seller in question was wondering about an answer to the question to prevent that blasted PLOD from happening in the future. (I have no idea if this is actually the case.) Given that it reads that way to some of us, it would qualify as a sales tactic, albeit possibly a future one.

That said, the only way to know the true intent would be to have a solid idea about the seller's ethics. I do not (and apparently many of us do not) so it leaves it wide open to personal interpretation. Benefit of the doubt kind of goes out the window where money is involved, and that's not necessarily wrong.

It's an interesting discussion and best case scenario the seller will add context to a query like that in the future so people don't assume the worst.

First off, I've been wondering for the last little while what the heck happened to you! :headbang:

Second, I personally don't have a doubt in my mind about the seller / OP's ethics. I know the hecklers are going to say "Cool Books" but that has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty good at sniffing out a bad egg from a few random posts and I'm quite sure Sniper isn't one of them. Just take the time to read his previous posts. (shrug)

And I don't think Bob is a bad guy for starting this thread. Bob is one of the 'good guys' but I do think it was an 'impulse post' and he probably should have PM'd Sniper first for clarification before firing a shot about someone's ethics that would echo for some time to come.

I agree that benefit of the doubt goes out the window when money is involved but like many of us, Sniper is not a 'one and done' board member. He's been here for a while and will probably continue to be here for a while. He just asked a question. That's my gut feeling.

Nice to chat with you again too! I lurk quite frequently, but I post much less than I did since I'm not actively collecting. I find it very, very, very difficult not to collect and I find the more I post, the more the bug gets me. I also had some rather major issues with social anxiety for a while that caused me to be somewhat withdrawn from lots of people/groups in my life also. Was not an issue with not still loving/liking people, just had some stress going on from my old job and when our stepson moved in. (He's doing well now, so stress has abated somewhat. Good parenting FTW.)

At any rate, I usually agree that a PM is in order, but an after-the-fact PM in this case wouldn't do any good because if you assume nefarious tactics, the answer will become unbelievable too.

All of the above being said, your firsthand word on the seller's ethics would be good enough for me- and that's kind of the awesome thing about these boards. In a case like this, I was suspicious but got input from someone who I trust (you) that swayed my opinion. So even a critical thread can have positive results!

As someone who posts rarely (possibly fresh perspective), I will say that the thread reads like the seller in question was wondering about an answer to the question to prevent that blasted PLOD from happening in the future. (I have no idea if this is actually the case.) Given that it reads that way to some of us, it would qualify as a sales tactic, albeit possibly a future one.

That said, the only way to know the true intent would be to have a solid idea about the seller's ethics. I do not (and apparently many of us do not) so it leaves it wide open to personal interpretation. Benefit of the doubt kind of goes out the window where money is involved, and that's not necessarily wrong.

It's an interesting discussion and best case scenario the seller will add context to a query like that in the future so people don't assume the worst.

First off, I've been wondering for the last little while what the heck happened to you! :headbang:

Second, I personally don't have a doubt in my mind about the seller / OP's ethics. I know the hecklers are going to say "Cool Books" but that has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty good at sniffing out a bad egg from a few random posts and I'm quite sure Sniper isn't one of them. Just take the time to read his previous posts. (shrug)

And I don't think Bob is a bad guy for starting this thread. Bob is one of the 'good guys' but I do think it was an 'impulse post' and he probably should have PM'd Sniper first for clarification before firing a shot about someone's ethics that would echo for some time to come.

I agree that benefit of the doubt goes out the window when money is involved but like many of us, Sniper is not a 'one and done' board member. He's been here for a while and will probably continue to be here for a while. He just asked a question. That's my gut feeling.

Biting someone during a football / soccer match.

1 - Inflicts physical harm

2 - Impacts the individual who did the biting as it impacts the prospects for their career

3 - Impacts the teem as a whole they lose a player to suspension.

Yeah, impacts them so much that another team is negotiating right now for the right to pay US$120 million for the rights to sign Suarez and give him a massive pay raise.

As we`ve learned from the whole Michael Vick "rehabilitation", you can commit virtually any kind of heinous crime, but if you can score goals, TDs, etc., then all will be forgiven.

Or make money from stocks. meh

Your ability to strain at a gnat while swallow a camel always amazes me.

You make money hand over fist on the world markets, which are built on unethical practices left, right and center, but you'll draw the line on comics because they're pressed.

I'll shake your hand when I finally meet you, I'll drink beer and sing in a pub with you one day but I'll never understand your choices or your rationale.

People are free to ask any kinds of questions they like. There's a time and place for most things and a sales thread on the CGC forums ( I don't care if the book had already sold ) is not the appropriate place to wonder if a book can be manipulated to fool CGC. I know Bob and I don't believe his intent was to accuse the seller of doing anything, I believe he's just fed up with all the shenanigans like face jobbing, color touch scraping ( and calling it something else ), etc. 2c

I hate to be 'the guy' in a situation like this, and what I stand to gain from Sniper, I stand to lose from Bomber-Bob for posting my thoughts in a thread like this, but I believe in doing the right thing and I agree with Blazing Bob...stuff like this should be voiced in private first, mano a mano, before being made public.

Reputations stand and fall on the internet and viral communication overtakes reason sometimes.

If someone offends you, the right way to handle it is to ALWAYS go to them first. As long as you are not in some grave, irreversible danger this is always the first rule.

If you don't find resolution, then bring a few friends or witnesses and try again.

If finally you still have no resolution THEN bring it to the masses.

This is generally the most effective way to deal with a problem, IMO.

People are free to ask any kinds of questions they like. There's a time and place for most things and a sales thread on the CGC forums ( I don't care if the book had already sold ) is not the appropriate place to wonder if a book can be manipulated to fool CGC. I know Bob and I don't believe his intent was to accuse the seller of doing anything, I believe he's just fed up with all the shenanigans like face jobbing, color touch scraping ( and calling it something else ), etc. 2c
:sumo:

Thanks. This is exactly where I was coming from. I never accused the seller of anything other than introducing a topic that was distasteful to me. As the Blazing one commented, the topic itself, hiding a trim, should have been kept quiet. Roy, next time read the thread and my specific comments before you throw this back at me. Sniper, I never accussed you of anything, just questioning the topic. I am tired of all the manipulation and have spoken.

For what its worth, I've bought several high dollar raw books from Sniper and have never had a problem. To question his ethics when he sold the JIM already CGC graded is just silly. He's definitely one of the good guys here.

I think most people are fed up with shenanigans (even possibly including Sniper although I'm only speculating as only he knows his true intent) but don't all sorts of off topic things go on in sales threads?

Just the way I see it, but I respect your perspective. :)

Thanks. This is exactly where I was coming from. I never accused the seller of anything other than introducing a topic that was distasteful to me. As the Blazing one commented, the topic itself, hiding a trim, should have been kept quiet. Roy, next time read the thread and my specific comments before you throw this back at me. Sniper, I never accussed you of anything, just questioning the topic. I am tired of all the manipulation and have spoken.

Once a discussion enters the public arena it's basically open to all opinions.

And while your intention may not have been to call Sniper out for his ethics, that's exactly the opposite of what I (and others) saw.

Again, it's just my perception but perceptions are reality to all of us.

I know you are one of the good guys. I believe Sniper is too. That's the main reason I've commented so much in this thread. :)

And after thinking about it, I'm leaning towards Logan510 and agreeing that a sales thread is probably not the best place to post a thought like that.

Conversations happen organically; it was a 2 or 3 post exchange in a selling thread that had served its purpose and was winding down.

Some of you are wound really, really tight.

Conversations happen organically; it was a 2 or 3 post exchange in a selling thread that had served its purpose and was winding down.

Some of you are wound really, really tight.

You sir, need a clock tightening.

See what I did there? :blush:

Is there no end to the manipulation ? We already have spine realignments, staple tear tucks, and other techniques employed specifically to 'fool' CGC. Now we want to add techniques to hide a trim? It scares me that the seller openly suggests this concept = let's discuss how to deceive CGC on their own forums. I do hope that both Joey and Matt would be above such nonsense. The buyer of these books deserve a fair shake.

I thought this was simply called "maximization of potential" when the whole fiasco of manipulation of books for higher grades was identified about 10 years ago.

As we were told then, the only thing that mattered was the grade and colour on the CGC label as nobody really cared about the previous state of the book. It's all about the CGC label and less so about the book. Needless to say, almost everybody jumped onto this bandwagon immediately as they saw nothing but dollar signs in their eyes. Totally not surprising! :(

But as the collectors or purists would say: buy the book, not the label! (thumbs u

To the "appropriate posting" police: what is the appropriate amount of evidence required to start a thread questioning another board member's ethics?

Sorry in advance if that question is inappropriate.

To the "appropriate posting" police: what is the appropriate amount of evidence required to start a thread questioning another board member's ethics?

Sorry in advance if that question is inappropriate.

He wasn't questioning the ethics of the seller, though if you're not paying close attention I could see where one could think that.

For what its worth, I've bought several high dollar raw books from Sniper and have never had a problem. To question his ethics when he sold the JIM already CGC graded is just silly. He's definitely one of the good guys here.

+ 1,000,000 ....................Val is a super tight grader and turns up some fantastic material..... he's easy to work with and as honorable as anyone I know. If they weren't already married, I'd try to hook him up with one of my sisters, seriously. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u