• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any ethics left in this hobby ?

700 posts in this topic

Perhaps the seller naively believed that by pressing a cover back to its original size, the trimming is removed. In other words, he created a tortured moral equivalency between untrimmed and the restoration of its original size. (tsk)

Wasn't it an afterthought?

The book had already sold.

Yes, the book was sold. For that reason I felt comfortable starting this thread.

Sold or not, I felt the question was repugnant. I think it was a serious question, seeking advice for future situations.

I can't believe that came from SNiPER. :sick:

I'm sure everyone knows my point of view on this and anything else that manipulates a book.Whether it be pressing,trimming etc. Not my cup of tea! :makepoint:

As far as ethics is concerned.If you don't have your word,you have nothing.

Wasn't it an afterthought?

The book had already sold.

Yes, the book was sold. For that reason I felt comfortable starting this thread.

Sold or not, I felt the question was repugnant. I think it was a serious question, seeking advice for future situations.

What if it was just a thought, like, what if I bought a book that had been manipulated.

So who picked up the trimming on the PGM thread? hm

That question is answered in the thread linked earlier, first post.

Here it is again for you to not click on. :makepoint:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7830517#Post7830517

Here's the original PGM

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=338572&Number=7640615#Post7640615

That question is answered in the thread linked earlier, first post.

Here it is again for you to not click on. :makepoint:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7830517#Post7830517

Here's the original PGM

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=338572&Number=7640615#Post7640615

What a dink. There's no link in the first post :P

You're a crack grader,did you hit on it?

I would have, if I saw it. :whistle:

Like you, I find the whole discussion distasteful. :P

What if it was just a thought, like, what if I bought a book that had been manipulated.

Maybe, however, since the book was sold the question would be what if I just SOLD a book that had been manipulated. Minimally, asking the question in his own sales thread was inappropriate. However, I did not start this thread to bash the seller. I started the thread to bash the question itself.

I bought the book. I'm guessing the discussion came after because I didn't see it when looking at the book. It's a nice copy, and will most certainly not be cracked and manipulated. I

as "things with value" continue to thrive, its going to come with the territory. People are always wanting to do more to make a bigger buck. Only way i know how to deal with it is to by from those you trust and know.

But this is coming from one of our own, respected Boardies in his own sales thread. Am I wrong to trust my fellow Board members ?

Generally speaking, I'm not sure if you should be trusting folks you "know" from the internet.

A slight tangent from the topic since ethics and trust were brought up - I'm seeing a few sellers asking to be paid via money order, certified cheque, etc. I understand that PayPal has taken enough of your money but this seems pretty risky for the buyer. Hopefully most buyers here understand how much risk they are exposing themselves to.

I'm not familiar with the situation at hand, but....

I think there are plenty of ethical people involved in our hobby. Some have been on these boards for many years, while others may be pretty new. Most collectors and dealers that I've crossed paths with over the last 25 years have a sincere interest in preserving our hobby in a healthy manner for subsequent generations to enjoy.

There will always be a segment of the population who don't adhere to those tenants. They will in time regret not doing so. Those folks will enjoy short term gains only.

I bought the book. I'm guessing the discussion came after because I didn't see it when looking at the book. It's a nice copy, and will most certainly not be cracked and manipulated. I
(thumbs u

as "things with value" continue to thrive, its going to come with the territory. People are always wanting to do more to make a bigger buck. Only way i know how to deal with it is to by from those you trust and know.

But this is coming from one of our own, respected Boardies in his own sales thread. Am I wrong to trust my fellow Board members ?

Generally speaking, I'm not sure if you should be trusting folks you "know" from the internet.

A slight tangent from the topic since ethics and trust were brought up - I'm seeing a few sellers asking to be paid via money order, certified cheque, etc. I understand that PayPal has taken enough of your money but this seems pretty risky for the buyer. Hopefully most buyers here understand how much exposure to risk they are putting themselves to.

There are many of us who know each other outside of this forum,so to be honest were not all just a person behind a keyboard.So deal with the people you know and trust,and you'll never go wrong.

Unfortunately it is an effect of the current influx of speculators and investors that don't care about comic books as a medium of art and literature. This is only the current in thing to invest in.

Kind of tough to read literature and appreciate art when its encased in plastic.