• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any ethics left in this hobby ?

700 posts in this topic

After just reading a sales thread where the seller is asking if his CGC PLOD

trimmed book can be manipulated to deceive CGC I have to question the current state of ethics in this hobby.

Here is the seller's quote.....

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

Is there no end to the manipulation ? We already have spine realignments, staple tear tucks, and other techniques employed specifically to 'fool' CGC. Now we want to add techniques to hide a trim? It scares me that the seller openly suggests this concept = let's discuss how to deceive CGC on their own forums. I do hope that both Joey and Matt would be above such nonsense. The buyer of these books deserve a fair shake.

as "things with value" continue to thrive, its going to come with the territory. People are always wanting to do more to make a bigger buck. Only way i know how to deal with it is to by from those you trust and know.

as "things with value" continue to thrive, its going to come with the territory. People are always wanting to do more to make a bigger buck. Only way i know how to deal with it is to by from those you trust and know.

But this is coming from one of our own, respected Boardies in his own sales thread. Am I wrong to trust my fellow Board members ?

After just reading a sales thread where the seller is asking if his CGC PLOD

trimmed book can be manipulated to deceive CGC I have to question the current state of ethics in this hobby.

Here is the seller's quote.....

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

Is there no end to the manipulation ? We already have spine realignments, staple tear tucks, and other techniques employed specifically to 'fool' CGC. Now we want to add techniques to hide a trim? It scares me that the seller openly suggests this concept = let's discuss how to deceive CGC on their own forums. I do hope that both Joey and Matt would be above such nonsense. The buyer of these books deserve a fair shake.

link?

But this is coming from one of our own, respected Boardies in his own sales thread. Am I wrong to trust my fellow Board members ?

"one of our own" can be a loose statement here nowadays. Anyone can sign up for a message board, doesn't mean you should trust them.

but i get what your saying. Id personally like to think those who are on this forum are serious collectors who respect the hobby and the people in it. Manipulating a book to make an extra buck is anything but that.

either way. it sucks..

"one of our own" can be a loose statement here nowadays. Anyone can sign up for a message board, doesn't mean you should trust them.

but i get what your saying. Id personally like to think those who are on this forum are serious collectors who respect the hobby and the people in it. Manipulating a book to make an extra buck is anything but that.

either way. it sucks..

Just like to point out that the seller is from the class of 08

There was also a lot of discussion that people felt the book was not trimmed and perhaps CGC made a mistake. I have no comment on that, but I don't see a problem with discussing it.

I didn't see where anybody advocated doctoring the book to fool CGC, more like people were curious if it "could" be done.

Rest assured if it could be done, some people will do it. You can see that from the history of comic collecting.

On these boards; anybody caught pulling a "trim removal" trick will be pitchforked. You can tell that from the history of discussions here.

Ethics go out the window in most cases when money is involved. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Agreed, however, what surprises me is the fact that the seller would bring this concept up in his own sales thread. Let's discuss how I can manipulate this book and then sell it to you. Does he think this question will put him on most people's list of favorite sellers ?

There's always good eggs, there's always bad eggs. It seems like comics have more bad eggs than I'd like, but I bet it's the same in any collectible hobby. Collectors are probably easy targets for the less ethical. But plenty of good people here, plenty of good people on other boards I'm on, plenty of good people I've met in real life.

What got me in to this hobby and has had me stay on these boards is the integrity of many of the members. I understand that a lot of shysters have come in recently but I still respect and admire the "old guard" here on this forum and in the hobby itself.