• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any ethics left in this hobby ?

700 posts in this topic

My two cents. Listen if you want to do this type of stuff do me a favor and keep it between your ears.

The sad thing is there are plenty of people on these boards who are all about the $$$ and would do this in a heartbeat if they could figure out how.

Nobody here has admitted they want to game the system and unplod books. My guess is virtually nobody wants to.

Wow, I want to smoke the same happy drugs you`re smoking.

These boards, and the hobby in general, is full of people who are constantly gaming the system.

Nobody here has admitted they want to game the system and unplod books. My guess is virtually nobody wants to.

These boards, and the hobby in general, is full of people who are constantly gaming the system.

I agree, you always have people who want to circumvent the system.

Which one would you say is less ethical; working to get a purple label to a blue label or biting someone during a football match?

Some people need to calm down a bit. Nobody here has admitted they want to game the system and unplod books. My guess is virtually nobody wants to. And trust that the checks are in place to catch them here eventually. Again, I think it was some idle speculation after the book had sold.

C'mon man the seller didn't crack it open and try to swindle somebody. They could have done that and pawned it off on ebay, they did not, they swallowed the plod and sold it here.

No one here questioned the transaction. As both the seller and buyer appear to be content, there is no reason to. The post-sale discussion was a bit untoward, and in mind distasteful and inappropriate, particularly in that it suggests an MO for someone to pursue. Strangers on a Train, anyone?

Which one would you say is less ethical; working to get a purple label to a blue label or biting someone during a football match?

Biting someone during a football / soccer match.

1 - Inflicts physical harm

2 - Impacts the individual who did the biting as it impacts the prospects for their career

3 - Impacts the teem as a whole they lose a player to suspension.

:gossip: ..... and always has been. That's why CGC was necessary in the first place. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a frien d of jesus) (thumbs u

Or he was using the question as a sales tactic (which would be even worse). :P

A sales tactic after the book was sold? ???

Biting someone during a football / soccer match.

1 - Inflicts physical harm

2 - Impacts the individual who did the biting as it impacts the prospects for their career

3 - Impacts the teem as a whole they lose a player to suspension.

Purple - Blue.

It hurts the person that person tries to sell it to.

biting in sports

it hurts the person getting bitten.

they're both equal.

Or he was using the question as a sales tactic (which would be even worse). :P

A sales tactic after the book was sold? ???

The Kansas City shuffle.

After just reading a sales thread where the seller is asking if his CGC PLOD

trimmed book can be manipulated to deceive CGC I have to question the current state of ethics in this hobby.

Here is the seller's quote.....

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

Is there no end to the manipulation ? We already have spine realignments, staple tear tucks, and other techniques employed specifically to 'fool' CGC. Now we want to add techniques to hide a trim? It scares me that the seller openly suggests this concept = let's discuss how to deceive CGC on their own forums. I do hope that both Joey and Matt would be above such nonsense. The buyer of these books deserve a fair shake.

Bob, really? :facepalm:

Sniper made that remark after the book was sold. That removes intent to deceive and ethics from the equation.

And if that removes ethics and intent to deceive from the equation, why start a thread like this?

I believe it was just a question that possibly others might have had. Don't you ever wonder what 'bad guys' do to bend the rules (even outside of the comics)? It's human nature to wonder.

If I never bought another "Cool Book" from Sniper, I'd still think he's 'one of the good guys'.

Unbelievable how witch hunts start from the slightest thing. doh!

I actually believe you owe Sniper an apology for over reacting. :foryou:

WOW! this topic got way out of hand! I woke up to all this!

Here was my response to who ever started this,

and for the rest who feel like the guy above.

Wonder if it can be cracked/pressed and slipped past CGC and get a blue label? hm

Book was pressed by Joey, not sure if he caught it or not, I didn't ask for him to check trimming or not to forward it to CGC if it was trimmed or purple.

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

Thanks for showing the kinds of things that you believe would be "OK" to do to deliberately try to deceive CGC so that you could sell a trimmed book as untrimmed without giving a damn about the collector who will end up buying the book.

It's always good to know who shouldn't be trusted around here.

My intent has never been to deceive anyone thats why I had it slabbed to begin with before selling it here on the boards!

A couple of boardies were kind enough to point what they thought there was trimming. Was I disappointed when it returned a PLOD? Yes, was I surprised? A little, it looks great in hand.

I also noted in the PMG thread beforehand that if I sold it I always take back any book and if they had sent it in to CGC and received a PLOD I will always refund the book, all shipping and CGC fees!

When someone mentioned about pressing, and re-subbing, my question was if an experienced restorer like Matt or Joey could make a cut edge look like it was not, a purely hypothetical question. A question I don't know the answer to, it was as simple as that.

Where you get the idea that I'm "OK" to deliberately deceive CGC so I can sell trimmed books as untrimmed is beyond me :screwy: I sell mostly raw and hardly ever use CGC unless its for my own collection.

And you can take that last comment and shove it back in your blank where it came from.

I thought that happened during a soccer game?

get a purple label to a blue label or biting someone during a football match?

It happened to Italy – case closed. :D

BTW, if we are down to compare things in such a way, better not to start such threads… :facepalm:

Go USA!

After just reading a sales thread where the seller is asking if his CGC PLOD

trimmed book can be manipulated to deceive CGC I have to question the current state of ethics in this hobby.

Here is the seller's quote.....

Is there no end to the manipulation ? We already have spine realignments, staple tear tucks, and other techniques employed specifically to 'fool' CGC. Now we want to add techniques to hide a trim? It scares me that the seller openly suggests this concept = let's discuss how to deceive CGC on their own forums. I do hope that both Joey and Matt would be above such nonsense. The buyer of these books deserve a fair shake.

Bob, really? :facepalm:

Sniper made that remark after the book was sold. That removes intent to deceive and ethics from the equation.

And if that removes ethics and intent to deceive from the equation, why start a thread like this?

I believe it was just a question that possibly others might have had. Don't you ever wonder what 'bad guys' do to bend the rules (even outside of the comics)? It's human nature to wonder.

If I never bought another "Cool Book" from Sniper, I'd still think he's 'one of the good guys'.

Unbelievable how witch hunts start from the slightest thing. doh!

I actually believe you owe Sniper an apology for over reacting. :foryou:

As someone who posts rarely (possibly fresh perspective), I will say that the thread reads like the seller in question was wondering about an answer to the question to prevent that blasted PLOD from happening in the future. (I have no idea if this is actually the case.) Given that it reads that way to some of us, it would qualify as a sales tactic, albeit possibly a future one.

That said, the only way to know the true intent would be to have a solid idea about the seller's ethics. I do not (and apparently many of us do not) so it leaves it wide open to personal interpretation. Benefit of the doubt kind of goes out the window where money is involved, and that's not necessarily wrong.

It's an interesting discussion and best case scenario the seller will add context to a query like that in the future so people don't assume the worst.