• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading differences

31 posts in this topic

Hello. I've been collecting comic books for years. Collected them as a child, and got rid of them all (probably a yard sale or something).

With the Death of Superman and Knightfall, I got back into collecting comics. I wrote a piece for a high school journalism class on the Death of Superman, and the research at the local shops got me hooked again.

That collection was sold after college to help pay down bills. A few years later, I happened into a shop and was once again hooked.

With that being said, I can grade decently. I'm pretty consistent with the lower, "normal" grades (although I've seen a LOT of grading here in this forum than it a LOT stricter than most of the grading I've seen elsewhere ... makes me nervous to attempt to sell anything here).

But, for the LIFE of me, I can't distinguish between the top tier grades. I grade and list books for my local shop, and he won't allow anything higher than VF/NM listed, because of people complaining about the smallest defects. How can you really determine between a 9.0, a 9.2, and 9.4, and 9.6 and a 9.8? Can anybody point me to a site where I could see visual examples of the minute differences between these?

A good way to learn, but expensive is to buy a 9.4 9.6 9.8 of either the same book or books all graded right around the same time, and crack them. And look at the differences.

-Kystix

I visit the Heritage Auction archives quite often to be able to see the differences in the graded books as well as the uncertified books that CGC will assign a grade. Steve Borock was at HA for quite some time as well as here at CGC before going off on a new unspeakable adventure.

Membership to join the HA website is free and the archives are quite extensive and very educational. I would definitely recommend visiting and checking it out. There is a good search engine to narrow down the books you wish to compare. Like I said I use them often.

Heritage Auction

does the book have sharp corners, shiny, no dents...its a 9.8

does it look like the book above, but have a small dent knick in on the spine that doesn't break color? now your at a 9.6

does that dent break color...you get the idea.

does it look like the book above, but have a small dent knick in on the spine that doesn't break color? now your at a 9.6

The 1st example would be a 10.0 - the second example would still be a 9.8.

When I went to Chicago in 2009, I saw on television people in a nice area of the city paving their own residential streets since the city wouldn't. The city argued and stated that there were other issues, and other projects more important. Further, The city got into a hissy fit when they found out that people were paving their own streets, and they were actually doing a good job. The reporter showed pictures of the before and after. The city exclaimed that individuals who did this would be fined and arrested. Later, I found out that there is so much corruption in Chicago that unless you pay someone under the table then nothing gets done. In retrospect, I have found this out in many of adventures as a citizen, consumer, as an employee. So figuring out what is a CGC book worthy of a 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and etc. is depending of those who know and who don't know. Do you know the know the password? and if you do then you are in your comfort zone. I think companies like Heritage can consider themselves very comfortable and I doubt that they are going to divulge their coveted password. In my opinion, I think even opening CGC books and comparing them won't get anyone closer to that revelation. But I may be wrong on this. By the way, I hope the narrative helps.

You skipped 9.9

When I went to Chicago in 2009, I saw on television people in a nice area of the city paving their own residential streets since the city wouldn't. The city argued and stated that there were other issues, and other projects more important. Further, The city got into a hissy fit when they found out that people were paving their own streets, and they were actually doing a good job. The reporter showed pictures of the before and after. The city exclaimed that individuals who did this would be fined and arrested. Later, I found out that there is so much corruption in Chicago that unless you pay someone under the table then nothing gets done. In retrospect, I have found this out in many of adventures as a citizen, consumer, as an employee. So figuring out what is a CGC book worthy of a 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and etc. is depending of those who know and who don't know. Do you know the know the password? and if you do then you are in your comfort zone. I think companies like Heritage can consider themselves very comfortable and I doubt that they are going to divulge their coveted password. In my opinion, I think even opening CGC books and comparing them won't get anyone closer to that revelation. But I may be wrong on this. By the way, I hope the narrative helps.

Are you saying that there is corruption at CGC,or that you have to know someone to get a high grade? Are you out of your mind? or just an idiot. lol

+1. This.

-J.

Are you saying that there is corruption at CGC,or that you have to know someone to get a high grade? Are you out of your mind? or just an idiot. lol

I think he's saying "I don't know how to grade - be very careful about buying my raw books" :gossip:

I think he's saying "I don't know how to grade - be very careful about buying my raw books" :gossip:

lol Is that what that carp was all about? :screwy:

I don't think CGC knows the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8; even a 9.9+. After that trimming fiasco recently and an original owner who bought a book off the stands getting a purple label, it makes me wonder. Since anything over 9.6 has zero grader notes, roll the dice!

I don't think CGC knows the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8; even a 9.9+. After that trimming fiasco recently and an original owner who bought a book off the stands getting a purple label, it makes me wonder. Since anything over 9.6 has zero grader notes, roll the dice!

:screwy:

It's called practice practice practice, you will eventually hit 95 out of 100 free throws. If you don't want to practice, don't complain when you miss the rim.

Practice means grading 10's of thousands of comics.

It's called practice practice practice, you will eventually hit 95 out of 100 free throws. If you don't want to practice, don't complain when you miss the rim.

Practice means grading 10's of thousands of comics.

some of us get better faster----- ;)