• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

Here is an inaccuracy I found in the tv-show

Screenshot2014-08-18at13837AM_zps07b597c2.png

There is no Burito Boyz in manhattan. There is no Burito Boyz outside of Toronto for that matter. Could this be a potential spanish related food plot twist?

Only time will tell.

Great episode I am really enjoying Fet's character. I don't remember the scene with his parents in the book.

I am guessing there will be 2 seasons per book the way its going. Some of the extra scenes are just brilliant.

The beginning of episode 3 with the makeup mirror hooked my son into watching. While this show wont be a Walking Dead style hit, its going to be a fun series to watch.

When it gets to the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd book is where it might off of the rails, but that's awhile away.

Great episode I am really enjoying Fet's character. I don't remember the scene with his parents in the book.

I am guessing there will be 2 seasons per book the way its going. Some of the extra scenes are just brilliant.

The beginning of episode 3 with the makeup mirror hooked my son into watching. While this show wont be a Walking Dead style hit, its going to be a fun series to watch.

When it gets to the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd book is where it might off of the rails, but that's awhile away.

yeah i'm liking that they are going deeper into the story i know del toro said that he nows the ending of season two would be the ending of of book two(novel not comic book i guess).

Just caught up again, I've been downloading them and then skipping a week and watching them two at a time. Helps to speed up the pacing of the show sort of and I would probably go nuts with only one ep a week.

Still loving this show, just keeps getting better! I think I'll hold onto my #1 now since I'm very happy just to own it.

Just joining this thread here. The show is kind of fun but it is really bad. I mean how much suspension of belief do we have to extend here?

- A gigantic ornate coffin filled with dirt and worms is found on a plane where all but four of the passengers have died in flight and then the coffin is allowed to be stolen from the scene because one guy lets a van past a checkpoint. I think they'd be keeping a closer eye on it than that and would probably be able to track it.

- The CDC investigators find the worms on the plane and examine them in the lab where they see they are ravenous for human blood. Nobody other than main characters at all concerned.

- The doctor doing autopsies on the dead passengers is killed by the reanimated dead passengers and nobody seems to notice he's missing.

- The 200 dead passengers disappear and nobody is concerned (again, other than the main characters)

- The four survivors (or their loved ones) can't think to call a doctor or the CDC once they start exhibiting some pretty terrifying and disgusting symptoms of their infection.

- The manager of the rock star sees him kill a doctor she brings to him -- yes, finally somebody does think to call a doctor! -- yet she doesn't call the cops.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on the parade but the show is one forehead slapping scene after another. It's not a good show at all! I haven't read the novels or the comics so I have to think this is a poor adaption of the source material as I find it hard to believe Guillermo del Toro would come up with something so silly.

But I am still watching it because I do want to see where they take it. I just wish it was better! A TV show with a plot that advances only because every character is clueless and does stupid things does not make for a well-written show. It's also not very well-paced as there have been several scenes in each episode that do nothing to progress the story.

I hope I can come back here after a few more episodes and have a different opinion. I really want to like it, but thus far it's mostly just trying my patience.

You are so right....it stinks, FX orders a second season, has the highest cable tv show rating this summer, Del Toro co-wrote a bestselling trilogy of it, its supported 3 series of comic books.

Its not real its a horror tv show sorry you don't like it. To each their own.

I think that the tale of the tape kinda gives us some ideas....2 million watchers debut vs walking deads 5.6 million....

extrapolating from that ( I know many many factors....) and that the print run of #1 was higher....I think that #1s should hit in the neighborhood of 500 cgced 9.8....

Sounds like someone's upset they didn't snag that stack of #1s off the rack 2.5 years ago :o

For real though.. I'm enjoying the series immensely. You can pick apart all the little things about any show. Humans have faults and frequently make mistakes. These characters are believable for the most part. If you're watching a show about vampires, you should at least be open to the fact not everything will be realistic.

Why do people analyze every bit of the show instead of just enjoying it, oh yeah and your gonna continue to watch it ..

+1

I think it's a good show. Yes, if you try to think about things logically there are some gaps, but fictional entertainment is SUPPOSED to defy logic. It's not real. "The Matix is stupid... no one can go inside a machine. The Lord of the Rings is nuts. How can power go into a ring?" None this matters. Just enjoy the show.

I will say that the incompetence someone mentioned above that frustrates them about the show is not too far fetched. Incompetence abounds in the real world. How could we allow the financial crisis of 2008 to happen in our modern society? :eyeroll:

So, finding some incompetence in a TV show (ie: letting the box slip through the airport, no one cares, the cops don't know, the rock manager didn't call the cops, etc.) is not unheard of to me.

2c

Just joining this thread here. The show is kind of fun but it is really bad. I mean how much suspension of belief do we have to extend here?

- A gigantic ornate coffin filled with dirt and worms is found on a plane where all but four of the passengers have died in flight and then the coffin is allowed to be stolen from the scene because one guy lets a van past a checkpoint. I think they'd be keeping a closer eye on it than that and would probably be able to track it.

- The CDC investigators find the worms on the plane and examine them in the lab where they see they are ravenous for human blood. Nobody other than main characters at all concerned.

- The doctor doing autopsies on the dead passengers is killed by the reanimated dead passengers and nobody seems to notice he's missing.

- The 200 dead passengers disappear and nobody is concerned (again, other than the main characters)

- The four survivors (or their loved ones) can't think to call a doctor or the CDC once they start exhibiting some pretty terrifying and disgusting symptoms of their infection.

- The manager of the rock star sees him kill a doctor she brings to him -- yes, finally somebody does think to call a doctor! -- yet she doesn't call the cops.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on the parade but the show is one forehead slapping scene after another. It's not a good show at all! I haven't read the novels or the comics so I have to think this is a poor adaption of the source material as I find it hard to believe Guillermo del Toro would come up with something so silly.

But I am still watching it because I do want to see where they take it. I just wish it was better! A TV show with a plot that advances only because every character is clueless and does stupid things does not make for a well-written show. It's also not very well-paced as there have been several scenes in each episode that do nothing to progress the story.

I hope I can come back here after a few more episodes and have a different opinion. I really want to like it, but thus far it's mostly just trying my patience.

I'll agree that it's a bit cheesy (although in a good way I find), but I mean it's called fiction for a reason (shrug)

I think many fans of the horror genre (specifically The Walking Dead), were hoping for the same level of realism in The Strain tv show. I admit I was at first. The Strain couldn't be more different than The WD. WD did something in the first season that was special. It made viewers care about the characters. On top of that, it took an old horror genre (zombies) and made it so realistic (at least in the first season), and all about the culture of the living.....instead of focusing solely on the zombies.

The Strain never came out of the gate with the intention of being steeped in "realism". Sure, it takes place in NY City. And none of the "heroes" in the show appear to have super-human skills. However, the majority of the show, as ItsJustRyan stated, defies logic (i.e., common sense). Now I will say that the acting isn't quite the caliber as WD. But perhaps that's what makes The Strain a fun summer series. It's not meant to be taken too seriously. What it has is certainly enough to keep me coming back for more.

Meck