• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone bought from Anthony Snyder (Comic Book Men "expert")?

53 posts in this topic

Comics, that is.

I've done some research and understand Anthony to have a pretty good reputation on the art front, but I've come across a few of his comic listings on eBay and that his grades seem... well, "generous" is a polite way of putting it. At least based on the photos he's uploaded - as we know, something in hand might be better or worse than a scan makes it out to be.

Case in point is this book I was looking at:

JLA 18

With the spine wear, creases, micro tears along the edge and hole above the "L" in "League" I personally would call that closer to a 3.0-3.5, but again, maybe this is just an anomaly in his usual grading... I'd love to hear from anyone who's bought books from him and can provide some fb on how accurate they find his descriptions.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I bought a low grade GA book via Ebay and was pleased - not that I could be too disappointed considering the grade.

My disappointment came from asking a question on his website (not on Ebay). I sent a message through their website and never got a response. I didn't bother to call them and it could have just got lost on their end.

I bought a slab from him via eBay, so I knew what I was getting in that instance. Book came as pictured/described, no hassle.

However, when trying to do art deals, I've found him extremely difficult to communicate with via email, with conversations being completely dropped, no response, etc.

That book is not a 3.0-3.5 from the fc scan. At least not per the industry standard (CGC). Perhaps you are the one who needs to brush up on your grading.

Do you think that Anthony Snyder grades the comic books himself? Note that his comic book auctions say "Uploaded by EC from the warehouse". Perhaps he has an employee doing his comic book auctions.

I have bought original art from him in the past with no problems at all. The only comic book I have bought from him was this low grade Strange Tales Annual #2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301122457750?_trksid=p2059210.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When the book arrived I immediately noticed that the back cover was significantly bigger than the rest of the book, and a quick check revealed that it wasn't the correct back cover for that book at all. When I pointed this out to Anthony's, they offered me a partial refund of $12.12 which I accepted. However, I never received the partial refund, and after three weeks I filed an "item not as described" complaint with eBay and they immediately issued a courtesy refund to me for the full price of the book plus shipping.

I can kind of see how Anthony's might have missed the wrong back cover, although it seemed quite obvious to me when I had the book in hand. However, I'm not sure why they never issued the partial refund that they offered me, even after I messaged them about it on three separate occasions over a three week period. (shrug)

Anyway, I do see that Anthony's has a 4.9 star rating for "Item as Described" so I guess most people must be happy with their grading.

I've bought a few books from him and he is pretty good. Raw grades are all over the map, even from experienced graders. If you don't like the book or grade assigned, regardless of who is selling it, you should move onto the next one on your list. Keep in mind a 5.0 is halfway between a rag and a mint copy. That book seems to fit the bill. 5.0 doesn't seem like much of a stretch. If you see someone calling books like that 3.0's you should try to buy out their collection.

I bought a ff #3 in a cgc case from him a while back. There were no problems there, and, in fact, he tossed in one of those silicon cgc case protectors.

Just yesterday I bought two expensive (for me, anyway) GA books from him. He says due to SDCC, they won't ship for a while. I guess I'll be chiming in here if there's a serious problem with them.

He's had a lot of GA books for sale lately and I was tempted by quite a few of them. Like I said, I ended up buying two.

Edited by cousin itt

That book is not a 3.0-3.5 from the fc scan. At least not per the industry standard (CGC). Perhaps you are the one who needs to brush up on your grading.

Wow, okay. What department do you work for at CGC?

If the back cover is approximately equivalent, could be a 5 on a good day I'd say. I have a CGC 5.5 that doesn't look noticeably better.

If the back cover is approximately equivalent, could be a 5 on a good day I'd say. I have a CGC 5.5 that doesn't look noticeably better.

I guess the level of grading has sadly gone south if that's the case (although I guess if you're the one getting a book graded, that's a good thing)... This other listing for a CGC 3.5 Spidey looks pretty equivalent to the JLA 18, though like you say who knows what's going on with the back cover, in both cases.

CGC 3.5 Spidey

I bought a ff #3 in a cgc case from him a while back. There were no problems there, and, in fact, he tossed in one of those silicon cgc case protectors.

Just yesterday I bought two expensive (for me, anyway) GA books from him. He says due to SDCC, they won't ship for a while. I guess I'll be chiming in here if there's a serious problem with them.

He's had a lot of GA books for sale lately and I was tempted by quite a few of them. Like I said, I ended up buying two.

+1 some very cool books recently I have as well bought 2...one slabbed ASM #11 that I won at auction at a very nice price and a BOY COMICS #10...good communication for me would buy from again

+1

Not even overstreet grading. We all have a copy of the overstreet grading guide. does the scan of the front look like the 3.0-3.5 pictured in the guide?

I guess the level of grading has sadly gone south if that's the case (although I guess if you're the one getting a book graded, that's a good thing)... This other listing for a CGC 3.5 Spidey looks pretty equivalent to the JLA 18, though like you say who knows what's going on with the back cover, in both cases.

CGC 3.5 Spidey

But you can see why this is a 3.5 which looks worse, at least front cover wise, than the jla 18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALES-TO-ASTONISH-60-1964-ANT-MAN-GIANT-MAN-HULK-CGC-3-5-No-Reserve-/380949212097?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item58b257abc1

CGC 3.5 Spidey

First, the accumulation of defects showing on the front cover of the JLA are definitely allowed in 5.0.

Second, comparing it to the slabbed Spider-man is worthless without knowing why the Spidey got that grade in the first place, because it sure as shoot wasn't due to accumulated wear on the front cover.