• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me with a value estimation of this Comic collection

76 posts in this topic

The $10,000 question is - does the chap mean he actually has a Hulk #1

If not - then $100 max.

If he does, then $100 max, plus the Hulk #1

Sorry - just bad choices of books to buy and keep and look for value later on.

Fun to read for sure - some great stories, but value....

He could probably make one good box of the bronze Marvel books - the Spidey, FF, Avengers, etc and perhaps get $200--$250 just for that box from a collector locally (Craigslist?)... And then maybe eke out another $75-100 on copper run sales on eBay.

But if he walked into a LCS with that I'm guessing the offer would be between $0 and $100....they just want a lot of that. Again he'd do better walking into the LCS with just the selected box of bronze marvels. That they'd buy.

It really does look like he went suspiciously out of his way to avoid keys, by the way.

There are people here who could do this far better than I but I skimmed the list. My eyes rested only on the Hulk #1 and there the condition becomes very important.

My advice to you is to BOLD books that you think might be valuable. It is time consuming to properly skim a list like that.

From a wholesaling point of view, most of the books have little value, in my town about ten cents.

The hulk 1 is either a typo (I.e. he meant hulk 142 and forgot the 42) or is from a different series. Op was born in 1983. Hulk 1 was an expensive book even back in 1991 (around the time op says he stopped collecting) and depending on condition would have gone for as high as 3 grand, the total amount he paid for his whole collection. Also every other book is bronze and copper and new age. It would be very weird to have that collection and just one silver age book that happens to be a mega key.

Went through the entire list. I would say in bulk selling the whole thing (I just sold a 1,100 collection recently) it would probally sell for $150-$200 to a collector and a comic shop maybe $75-$150. Most of what is here has little to no value. There are no hot books or anything that collectors want. Most of this is a hard resell. Would not waste my time selling individually. Most of these books are worth less then shipping .

Went through the entire list. I would say in bulk selling the whole thing (I just sold a 1,100 collection recently) it would probally sell for $150-$200 to a collector and a comic shop maybe $75-$150. Most of what is here has little to no value. There are no hot books or anything that collectors want. Most of this is a hard resell. Would not waste my time selling individually. Most of these books are worth less then shipping .

I met a couple the other day who had over 1,000 books and had a comic shop owner offer them $30 bucks for all of them. :facepalm: they had more keys than this listing

So either you do the work as someone suggested to maximize your $ or you move cheap and get the 10 cents to 30 cents each

The hulk 1 is either a typo (I.e. he meant hulk 142 and forgot the 42) or is from a different series. Op was born in 1983. Hulk 1 was an expensive book even back in 1991 (around the time op says he stopped collecting) and depending on condition would have gone for as high as 3 grand, the total amount he paid for his whole collection. Also every other book is bronze and copper and new age. It would be very weird to have that collection and just one silver age book that happens to be a mega key.

I think he probably has it listed exactly right. If you look at his list again he has it listed as issue -1 (Minus One) which is one of those Flashback issues that came out in the early 1990s.

e941_12.JPG

The Mighty Thor (60 Issues) - 344

Luke Cage Power Man/Power Man Iron Fist (44 Issues) - 54, 57

Avengers (119 Issues) - 66, 67, 103, 132, 140, 143, 152, 153, 158-162, 164, 165, 171, 177, 181, 182, 187-191, 196-202, 257

Captain America (71 Issues) - 360

The Silver Surfer (41 Issues)- 34

X-Factor (55 Issues) - 5

Secret Wars Volume 1. 1-12 Complete #8

2001 a Space Odyssey 8

Captain Marvel 29

Marvel Spotlight 4

The Defenders 26

Action Comics #1 (1992 reprint)

These are some of your more sought-after books, as far as I know. Bolded books are (or just were) hot. I think these issues could get $200-$400 on eBay dependent on condition.

The Mighty Thor (60 Issues) - 344

Luke Cage Power Man/Power Man Iron Fist (44 Issues) - 54, 57

Avengers (119 Issues) - 66, 67, 103, 132, 140, 143, 152, 153, 158-162, 164, 165, 171, 177, 181, 182, 187-191, 196-202, 257

Captain America (71 Issues) - 360

The Silver Surfer (41 Issues)- 34

X-Factor (55 Issues) - 5

Secret Wars Volume 1. 1-12 Complete #8

2001 a Space Odyssey 8

Captain Marvel 29

Marvel Spotlight 4

The Defenders 26

Action Comics #1 (1992 reprint)

These are some of your more sought-after books, as far as I know. Bolded books are (or just were) hot. I think these issues could get $200-$400 on eBay dependent on condition.

I think you should send him $300 for those issues!!

I honestly think the OP should post this in the copper subforum for a better estimation from the guys who frequent there. There might be some harder to find books in there somewhere that might contain some value.

From my vantage point I see a Secret Wars 8 in the complete run of Secret Wars and an X-Factor 5 that stand out to me. Not world breakers to say the least, but they do have some value currently. Those later ASM's (436,439) can also be pretty hard to find. Those venom minis also sell in lots, not necessarily as individual issues.

The ROM run also stands out to me. I imagine someone out there would snatch the whole thing up for the right price. Completed listing on eBay shows a ROM run of 1-75 sold for just over $100 recently. That's more than what I think most dealers would even offer for the collection.

I agree with the overall sentiment though. I don't think I would pay $300 for it. I would lean more towards 10c per book. Personally I think the OP could sell it off in grouped lots rather than selling the entire collection off to a dealer.

I'll be the Debbie Downer:

I don't even believe this lot is worth 10 cents a book. Maybe closer to 3 or 5 cents.

You have over 1000 books that would sit, and sit...and sit in boxes for years. No one's looking to buy them.

G.A.tor buys bulk lots like this and says he pays 10 cents a book (which is generous). he then says he sells them 4 for $1, but sells most of them at his 50% off sale, which would be 8 for $1, or 12.5 cents a piece. Imagine how long it takes to sell all that drek?!?!?!

If this were offered to me, I wouldn't even buy it unless I could pick out the books I wanted. Then you've truly got a pile of worthless books.

Sorry OP...but just like many others (myself included) our late 80s and 90s collections are better served as strictly reading material...or donated to get a small tax benefit!

I'm in agreement with othr people in this thread. Looks like that collection was cherry picked long ago, and there isn't anything expensive in that lot. All the well-known (at the time) 90's books seem to be gone out of the runs (McSpideys, Hulk 341/377, X-Factor 24).

With no bag/board on most of them, I don't even know if they'd be worth selling. A bunch of 80s and 90s books that have storage damage? Yikes. Maybe 10¢ each?

I was born in 1983. I collected comics as a kid from the late 80's to mid 90's. I only bought them secondhand from a local comic store. Most were from the mid silver age (early 70's) to early bronze age (early 90's).

BTW, in general without getting into splitting hairs over exactly when a particular "age" began, Silver Age refers to comics from the 60s, Bronze Age to comics from the 70s, Copper Age to comics from the 80s and Modern Age to comics from the 90s on up.

Forgot that half this was not bagged and boarded. That really hurts as someone who might pay $200 is going to have to shell out $50+ to bag and board ., Also shipping on these might cost more then the comics are worth. This would have to be a local pickup sale . No one would pay $200 for these and then pay $250 to ship and another $50 to bag and board. Collection really has little value if you have to ship and someone has to bag and board. I agree with everyone here. $150 tops sold locally and $0 if you have to ship it.

Follow these simple steps:

Pick out the 5 or so books bolded by someone up above (plus the Powerman 66 and Avengers 67) and list those on eBay

Put the rest on Craigslist @ 4/$1 or $50 per long and cross your fingers.

What remains, give them to hospital/women's shelter, etc.