• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool test footage

1,341 posts in this topic

DEADPOOL Now Highest Grossing R-Rated Movie Ever At Worldwide Box Office

Fox’s superhero action-comedy now has a worldwide box office total of nearly $746 million. That puts it ahead of the movie previously at the top of the chart, The Matrix Reloaded, which grossed $742.1 million worldwide.

Domestically, Deadpool is still only the third highest grossing R-rated movie with $349.5 million, just behind American Sniper in second with $350.1 million. However, Deadpool is still playing in theaters, so there’s a good chance it will overtake American Sniper by the end of its run.

:applause:

Wow and all done without the help of China.

Why didn't China let Deadpool play there?

DEADPOOL Denied Release in China Due to Graphic Violence

According to widespread local media reports, Deadpool, which was produced by 20th Century Fox and based on the Marvel comic book character, has been denied permission to screen in China due to its violence, nudity and graphic language.

A source close to the decision at China Film Group tells The Hollywood Reporter that the reports are indeed accurate.

I went to the movie this evening with my wife. There were only 19 people in total in the audience during our screening. We both came out of it with the same reaction - it was good, but did not live up to the hype we had heard about it from our friends. I knew we should have seen it earlier before our expectations were built up. Overall it was a fun film, but I hated the way they portrayed Colossus - he was one of my X-faves as a kid and I would have preferred him being more of a badass........

The funniest moment came after the movie. Most of the people left right away and I overheard them saying that there were no post credit scenes. My wife asked me and I said they were wrong, so a few people that overheard me stuck around for a bit. When the scenes did not show up halfway through two people gave me a dirty look and left, and the other small group followed them out even after one of the kids checked and said there were two post-credit scenes. doh! In the end, it was just the attendant/cleaning staff, my wife and I watching the post-credit scenes. lol

I also found that the Civil War trailer was weak, and so did my wife. I told her that if it follows the comics then Captain America would die, and she was not pleased as he likes looking at Chris Evans. lol I can't stand the look of the actor who plays Bucky so I hope he is not the "new Cap" in the end. That being said, she did not care for the trailer and neither did I. It will still do well at the box office, but if Civil War is a dud like AoU was that is two misses in a row for Feige/Marvel Studios.

it was good, but did not live up to the hype we had heard about it from our friends.

Pretty much my feeling too. Good, not great. I can do without the crude humor and constant fourth wall breaking (which wasn't an original thing with Deadpool).

I give them credit for being original, being r-rated for less gross (or so they tought), getting Colossus right at last and having a great costume for Deadpool.

I was also really disappointed there was no Wolverine cameo. Totally expected one, especially after the opening credits "gratuitous cameo" which turned out to be Stan Lee. Love you Stan but it's getting a bit boring now.

Deadpool Blu-Ray release announced for 13 June. UHD 4K will also be release, date unsure.

I already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray (assuming it will be jammed with the extras). So good to know when this will be shipped.

DEADPOOL Bumps AMERICAN SNIPER As Second Highest Grossing R Rated Film

The 20th Century Fox film has now passed American Sniper, a film from the same studio, to become the second highest grossing R-rated movie of all time with $350.58 million.

Deadpool has exceeded all expectations which started with a massive opening weekend which topped $150 million domestically. The Ryan Reynolds film is the first R-rated comic book movie to come anywhere near those sorts of numbers.

The number one R-rated film at the box office is The Passion of the Christ, which sits ahead of Deadpool by $20 million at $370.8 million. At its current rate, it's doubtful Deadpool would take the top spot but if it were to be re-released it would certainly take the honors.

DEADPOOL Bumps AMERICAN SNIPER As Second Highest Grossing R Rated Film

The 20th Century Fox film has now passed American Sniper, a film from the same studio, to become the second highest grossing R-rated movie of all time with $350.58 million.

Deadpool has exceeded all expectations which started with a massive opening weekend which topped $150 million domestically. The Ryan Reynolds film is the first R-rated comic book movie to come anywhere near those sorts of numbers.

The number one R-rated film at the box office is The Passion of the Christ, which sits ahead of Deadpool by $20 million at $370.8 million. At its current rate, it's doubtful Deadpool would take the top spot but if it were to be re-released it would certainly take the honors.

Point of Order -- given inflation & IMAX screens, this is basically a meaningless stat.

Inflation-adjusted, Deadpool barely breaks the top 20 for R-Rated films (sitting at # 19). It's got a _long_ way to go to catch behemoths like Beverly Hills Cop or T2.

By that rubric American Sniper doesn't even top the crack 12.

Hah! edited -- I re-thought & didn't count higher grossers like The Exorcist, The Godfather & Rocky Horror because all of those had multiple theatrical releases (so not comparable).

Yup. When you check Box Office Mojo, it reflects two totals for The Exorcist.

- Domestic Total Gross: $193,000,000

- Domestic Lifetime Gross: $232,906,145

But for its 1973-1974 run, the studio made $66.3 MM, which is half of ticket sales. So its original release Domestic Box Office was $132.6 MM.

$132.6 MM (1974) = $637.8 MM (2016)

That's massive!

Wow -- so that inflation-adjusted total for The Exorcist is counting just its original theatrical run?

It's just a pet peeve of mine when people trot out stats like "biggest R-Rated" ever or "biggest R-Rated comedy" because nothing in the last 30 years has come close to Beverly Hills Cop.

Then again, with media fragmentation and average theatrical runs of just 6 weeks nowadays, it was truly a different era.

Beverly Hills Cop dropped less than 25% from its first to second weekend and ran the table for 13 straight weeks at # 1.

It sold more tickets than Batman '89, any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and any of the Lord of the Rings movies.