• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make an official statement?

500 posts in this topic

So why is this thread still alive? That's what I keep asking myself.

Because lately, the forum seems to be identifying with the motto for Hydra. For every thread, no matter what that thread is, that gets poofed or locked, someone seems to start the thread up again and/or a thread to talk about why the thread was locked. In addition to that people will go to the LTPC and UICS threads to discuss the matter even further.

Basically CGC did not learn anything when it comes to operating online.

They even have a name for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet.

Because the mods are opposed to Fingh's oppressive, dreary reign and are supporting the eventual revolution.

Close it down, boys (and girl).

Because the mods are opposed to Fingh's oppressive, dreary reign and are supporting the eventual revolution.

You are full of disappoint. I had publicly said that you would be owning that LTPC game by now.

You are full of disappoint. I had publicly said that you would be owning that LTPC game by now.

:cry:

I lack the foot soldiers to distract the pretenders.

I need a Photography for dummies class, a brevity seminar for the long winded and a wooden spoon to distract the unworthy.

It is something of a slippery slope. :wink:

I'm not comfortable with that word,..."Slippery" :makepoint:

:ohnoez:

Not quite. For a while Joey was happily doing business on this board with full endorsement of CGC, until CGC eventually decided to provide the service themselves. It's more like a lawyer promoting his wares on a site owned by a guy thinking of one day going to law school maybe, and then years later when he actually graduates he deletes every mention of the previous lawyer.

Also, every time that previous lawyer handled a case, the law school student got paid, accumulating to countless thousands of dollars we can only speculate at the moment.

I'm surprised this part of the quote has gone unchallenged so far (unless the post was pruned before I saw it).

I challenged it, at least in my head, but I already talk too much for some, and I have to pick which aspects to go after...

...cuz there's oh so much. :ohnoez:

But thanks for highlighting it. It was needed.

Hey since I have your attention, how do you feel about the new restoration label? As someone that works for CGC to some extent and restores books, I'm of the impression the new label is a huge slap in the face to people who restore books. This is made worse when another company that will not be named is putting restored books in universal slabs.

Thoughts?

As a person who restores books I love the new system. It will allows for much more information to be put on the label, not just what extent the book was restored , but how well it was done.

That is all I , or anyone else who works on, buys and sells restored books could ask for. Yes it will be confusing at first. But eventually, it will really help people better understand just what is sitting in the slab.

As opposed to the old fashioned Slight, Mod, and Ext.

I, too, think the system is a big improvement. There's much more information, and, while no system is perfect, the more information in the easiest to understand format, the better.

Now if you could just get Harshen and Litch to move forward with the 9.7, 9.5, 9.3, 9.1 plan....

:whistle:

Hey since I have your attention, how do you feel about the new restoration label? As someone that works for CGC to some extent and restores books, I'm of the impression the new label is a huge slap in the face to people who restore books. This is made worse when another company that will not be named is putting restored books in universal slabs.

Thoughts?

As a person who restores books I love the new system. It will allows for much more information to be put on the label, not just what extent the book was restored , but how well it was done.

That is all I , or anyone else who works on, buys and sells restored books could ask for. Yes it will be confusing at first. But eventually, it will really help people better understand just what is sitting in the slab.

I, too, think the system is a big improvement. There's much more information, and, while no system is perfect, the more information in the easiest to understand format, the better.

Now if you could just get Harshen and Litch to move forward with the 9.7, 9.5, 9.3, 9.1 plan....

So if you saw a comic with a B1 on it, what does that mean? Can you explain what the difference would be if it had a B3?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand the new system.

From my understanding, Color touch might be rated a B1 where as cleaning pages with chemicals is a B3. They average the two together and thus put a B2 on the cover.

Is that correct or am I being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

Thoughts?

So if you saw a comic with a B1 on it, what does that mean? Can you explain what the difference would be if it had a B3?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand the new system.

From my understanding, Color touch might be rated a B1 where as cleaning pages with chemicals is a B3. They average the two together and thus put a B2 on the cover.

Is that correct or am I being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

My understanding...and please know this information is new, so I may not have a completely firm grasp of it yet, either...is that the letters "A-C" stand for the quality, or "workmanship" of the work done, with A being the highest quality work (or the old "professional"), while C is the lowest quality (or the old "amateur".)

Then come the numbers, with 1 being slight, 5 being extensive.

The resulting score is based on the "most significant" restoration, that is, a book which has had the cover cleaned would be, as they say, an "A-1" type of restoration, but that also has a piece fill, which might be "B-3"...so the result would be "B-3", even if there are lesser forms of resto present.

In other words, the score isn't "cumulative" (and that wording could be fixed on the site), but rather, based on the rating of the "worst" resto that the book has, even if "less significant" resto is also present (which will still be noted on the label.) It's based on what CGC considers "the most invasive" type of resto.

(I use quotes, because I may be muddling the terminology a bit.)

A score of "A-1" would be the highest quality, least extensive type of resto, while a score of "C-5" would be the lowest quality, most extensive. It's not an average of the scores, but rather, the most significant resto present on which the entire book is scored. In your example, the score would be B-3, not B-2.

At least, that's how the article lays it out. I base that on their own ASM #1 example, because they assigned it a score of B-3, even though the "average" of A-1, A-1, B-1, and B-3 isn't B-3. When they say "cumulative", I believe they are referring to the "accumulation of restoration techniques", and not the scores thereof.

And this quote from the release makes my head hurt:

After the restoration on a comic book has been assessed by our experts, the final designation on the label will reflect the quality (letter) and quantity (number) of restoration. An example: an Amazing Spider-Man #1 that has a moderate amount of restoration with an overall quality grade of B will reflect a restored grade of B-3.

Every type of restoration found on each book will be individually graded for quantity and quality, with a cumulative score determining the final restoration grade assigned. For instance, if the Amazing Spider-Man #1 exhibits a cover cleaning, tear seals, piece fill and color touch, CGC will assign a quality and quantity grade to each: cover cleaning, A-1; tear seals, A-1; piece fill, B-3;, color touch, B-2. The cumulative grade will be determined by the highest letter and number assigned to each technique applied. In this particular case, the highest letter and number assigned is B-3, which would become the overall restoration grade of the Amazing Spider-Man #1.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4030&

whether its level A restoration or Level Z...ITS STILL RESTORED. Will it really make that much of a difference in anyones mind if its one letter or number over the other? Whats so hard about just using a universal label and just noting what restoration was done..WITH FREE GRADERS NOTES.

whether its level A restoration or Level Z...ITS STILL RESTORED. Will it really make that much of a difference in anyones mind if its one letter or number over the other? Whats so hard about just using a universal label and just noting what restoration was done..WITH FREE GRADERS NOTES.

That's what is cool about those CBCS labels.. Plenty of room on the back for graders notes. Yet it looks as they choose to go with things like Twinkie and stick-on ads. :facepalm:

CGC and other legitimate grading companies don't need CPR.

You haven't gotten anything this wrong in a long time.

Barring statistics, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Just because some/many/most/nearly all (pick whatever suits) books subbed are cracked out of slabs and pressed in hopes of a higher grade does not therefore mean that CGC would not be in business without it.

The vast majority of my business is not CPR. In fact, I have cracked (or had customers crack) about 10 slabs, out of 1000+ pressed, in the past year.

Agreed. I was disagreeing with the concept that CGC doesn't "need" CPR. I guess we're both right. It all depends on how you define "need". My reading is that it represents significant volume for submissions that CGC would not like to lose. I believe your reading is that CGC would continue to operate without it. And I agree with that.

For whatever reason, the market has decided that the least amount of restoration is best. I believe it has to do with the idea that maybe it can be removed. Thus a book with a dot colored on the spine is worth more than the same book in the same grade if it has paper added and the cover reattached.

That last part makes sense.

And I agree on the Free Graders Notes…