• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make an official statement?

500 posts in this topic

Hey since I have your attention, how do you feel about the new restoration label? As someone that works for CGC to some extent and restores books, I'm of the impression the new label is a huge slap in the face to people who restore books. This is made worse when another company that will not be named is putting restored books in universal slabs.

Thoughts?

As a person who restores books I love the new system. It will allows for much more information to be put on the label, not just what extent the book was restored , but how well it was done.

That is all I , or anyone else who works on, buys and sells restored books could ask for. Yes it will be confusing at first. But eventually, it will really help people better understand just what is sitting in the slab.

As opposed to the old fashioned Slight, Mod, and Ext.

One thing that is also curious about this entire mishap: CGC chose to do it when everyone was out of the office.

Seems like rather convenient timing on their part.

How on earth is pulling Joeys thread, a mishap? CBCS promoted Joey on their site as their exclusive pressing service. On his site Joey displayed, and linked CBCS.

As soon as CGC was made aware of this they promptly deleted the "I love Joey post" thread as it was in violation of their no CBCS policy. Heavy handed or not, I thought they made this very clear when all the CBCS threads first took over CG.

The people that Joey wants to speak with at CGC might currently be "OOO", but to say that they pulled Joeys thread while everyone was out of the office is silly.

As I mentioned before, I thought CGC was VERY tolerant of Joeys pressing thread, given he was in direct competition with CCS for the very same service. As they are with other varying platforms of competition posted on their site. But as soon as Joey and Steve went public with their news, they pulled his thread.

How could anyone, Joey included not see this coming?

Joey is free to submit books, post here, and carry on business as usual. The ONLY thing that changed was CGC pulled a thread that allowed him an internet platform promoting his and CBCS's site/service. Not selling a CBCS book or three, not talking about CBCS. But actually being promoted by CBCS as the exclusive pressing service for CBCS.

And this is just me saying this, not CGC. Nobody calls me up and asks me what I think they should do. I was given moderation powers in the Restoration forum to, I suppose monitor, and control reported posts.

I am just somebody looking at it from both sides, and understand why what was done should not be surprising to anybody. And I also imagine this thread will get pulled too, so I have no idea why I just spent what little online time I have....typing out the same thing I did a few days ago.

Joey, good luck!! But man, you are taking up my free time!

lol

Well stated Kenny

Thanx man...these are indeed unique times.

I still owe you a call, never got around to it months back. But really appreciated your kind words.

I'll have the 6-pack a waitin' :foryou:

Hey since I have your attention, how do you feel about the new restoration label? As someone that works for CGC to some extent and restores books, I'm of the impression the new label is a huge slap in the face to people who restore books. This is made worse when another company that will not be named is putting restored books in universal slabs.

Thoughts?

As a person who restores books I love the new system. It will allow much for much more information to be put on the label, not just what extent the book was restored , but how well it was done.

That is all I , or anyone else who works on, buys and sells restored books could ask for. Yes it will be confusing at first. But eventually, it will really help people better understand just what is sitting in the slab.

As opposed to just the old fashioned Slight, Mod, and Ext.

Hmmmm… I suppose that is true. It seems sort of confusing though to people that might now usually deal in restored books. What makes an A 1 different than and A 2 or even a B1? That sort of causes me to scratch my head. Am I misunderstanding it though?

I have a book getting some work done so hopefully in the next few months we will see some new books hit the market so I can decide.

Thoughts?

As a person who restores books I love the new system. It will allow much for much more information to be put on the label, not just what extent the book was restored , but how well it was done.

Hmmmm… I suppose that is true. It seems sort of confusing though to people that might now usually deal in restored books. What makes an A 1 different than and A 2 or even a B1? That sort of causes me to scratch my head. Am I misunderstanding it though?

I have a book getting some work done so hopefully in the next few months we will see some new books hit the market so I can decide.

I gotta run, so cant address this now but wanted to reply and not have you think I just ignored you.(like I would Greggy)

It is all laid out in the announcement of the new label system.

Thoughts?

I gotta run, so cant address this now but wanted to reply and not have you think I just ignored you.(like I would Greggy)

It is all laid out in the announcement of the new label system.

I appreciate the responses. I have to say that I'm still a bit confused even after reading the announcement for the second time. The new system doesn't seem user friendly unless you really know restored books.

With all that said.When is the CBCS's message board going up?

You should see if they'll let you paste over a CBCS logo on your forumite of the year plaque.

It would save some time.

And issue the follow up strike ahead of time as well?

You should see if they'll let you paste over a CBCS logo on your forumite of the year plaque.

It would save some time.

BOTY always has a strike curse attached to it.

I'm looking forward to getting the MSC forum boardie of the year.

It would save some time.

I successfully avoided it during my term of office, despite my efforts to the contrary.

Is the Collectors Society forum here to promote the hobby or CGC? That's all I'm really trying to figure out. Without the support of the collectors, dealers and related businesses and the community in general none of this would even be possible.

Deleting the "I love joey post" threads was not necessary as he doesn't promote CBCS here. Just because I may purchase a CBCS graded book and then proclaim it to be better than CGC shouldn't stop me from participating on the boards provided I don't promote the competition here.

The fact that Joey's thread existed before CGC purchased CI is more evidence that the thread really promoted the hobby and his business was simply a benefactor as CGC allowed it to continue unabated.

CBCS promoted Joey on their site as their exclusive pressing service. And I suppose CBCS should have said that CCS?

The "I love joeypost" thread, while including useful general information, also included a recommendation for joeypost right there in the title. Had Joey started the thread to promote his business your statement might be justified. But I am positive that was not the case.

rantrant

It would save some time.

I successfully avoided it during my term of office, despite my efforts to the contrary.

I can't figure that out. I reported you like 50 times.

Really wish you were going to WW Chicago. If not do you live in-between there and Florida? I may drop in and say hi.

Say the word man, say the word.

Not to stir the pot but. FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! :ohnoez:

J/K guys your both class acts. :headbang:

It would save some time.

[

Is the Collectors Society forum here to promote the hobby or CGC? That's all I'm really trying to figure out. Without the support of the collectors, dealers and related businesses and the community in general none of this would even be possible.

Deleting the "I love joey post" threads was not necessary as he doesn't promote CBCS here. Just because I may purchase a CBCS graded book and then proclaim it to be better than CGC shouldn't stop me from participating on the boards provided I don't promote the competition here.

The fact that Joey's thread existed before CGC purchased CI is more evidence that the thread really promoted the hobby and his business was simply a benefactor as CGC allowed it to continue unabated.

CBCS promoted Joey on their site as their exclusive pressing service. And I suppose CBCS should have said that CCS?

The "I love joeypost" thread, while including useful general information, also included a recommendation for joeypost right there in the title. Had Joey started the thread to promote his business your statement might be justified. But I am positive that was not the case.

rantrant

I can say definitively that they're not here to promote direct competitors. And if you think the website is hosted for altruistic reasons...well I genuinely hope you never lose your world view. Because that type of hope and faith in people...you can't get it back once you've lost it. And I hope you have some good people around you to protect that hope.

Joey isn't a competitor of CGC, he submits to them and others on behalf of his customers. I can understand why CGC would want to remove posts referring to their competiton, though I may not think it the best way for them to deal with it. Removing posts regarding someone that they work with because he is endorsed by their competition is a whole different thing though.

If this is really the route that they are going to take then I really think that they are shooting themselves in the foot by eroding goodwill and respect of some of their customers. I hope they clarify their position soon.

I wonder if he will still be able to directly sub to CGC

I wonder if the other relationship has any "exclusivity" to it.

this is turning into my 9th grade year all over again when Mom and Dad made me choose who I went to go live with... (ok not that bad..)

Kind of stupid on CGC's part if it's not an easy process for Joe to accept books I may want him to press and then submit directly to CGC. But if they want to play the spoiled child game, that's cool. I'd just have Joey press my books that need it, send back raw to me and I'd have... someone... grade them.

It would save some time.

:applause:

Haven't heard this song or seen the video in a long time. Eighties forever! lol

Joey isn't a competitor of CGC, he submits to them and others on behalf of his customers. I can understand why CGC would want to remove posts referring to their competiton, though I may not think it the best way for them to deal with it. Removing posts regarding someone that they work with because he is endorsed by their competition is a whole different thing though.

If this is really the route that they are going to take then I really think that they are shooting themselves in the foot by eroding goodwill and respect of some of their customers. I hope they clarify their position soon.

I wonder if he will still be able to directly sub to CGC

I wonder if the other relationship has any "exclusivity" to it.

this is turning into my 9th grade year all over again when Mom and Dad made me choose who I went to go live with... (ok not that bad..)

Kind of stupid on CGC's part if it's not an easy process for Joe to accept books I may want him to press and then submit directly to CGC. But if they want to play the spoiled child game, that's cool. I'd just have Joey press my books that need it, send back raw to me and I'd have... someone... grade them.

I will have no difficulty submitting books to CGC.

lol

I imagine it's coming in a few months to be honest. They have more important things to focus on at this point in their launch is my guess.

More importantly, i'm looking forward to getting my books. :gossip:

Banned in the USA! :headbang:

I can't use and like both companies? hm(shrug)

(more of a philosophical broader question that goes to the heart of this discussion)

This is where I :facepalm: the crazy Italian-Americans I know in Brooklyn. There is this street that has two pizza places on it. They are literally across the street from one another. Each place was known for certain types of things. One place made their pizza better than the other and the place across the street had better meals. So, some went to one place for one type of food, and the other for the other kind.

This was seen as betrayal. So if you were caught venturing to your non-regular pizza place the attitude you received for doing that exhibited that feeling of betrayal.

The point of this is that CGC will now likely ban your account for your post at the worst and at best, expect all future labels to come back purple label, trimmed 1.8's. :insane:

Electronic - Getting Away With It...

When members of New Order, the Pet Shop Boys and the Smiths came together...

Mind was blown then, mind blown now.