• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make an official statement?

500 posts in this topic

You're not wrong, this is CGC's board and they can run it however they see fit. That being said, sometimes you can see a company make a misstep in how they handle something incredibly simple, like a presser being mentioned on another board. Sometimes you can see a company make several missteps over the course of a couple months, painting a picture that puts that company in a less than admirable light. But they have the right to do that, you are correct.

lol

I don't think you read anything I post. I've complained about this board's direction many times, and in many ways. My friends are tired of hearing me whine about it. Truly.

There's just no controversy about this one. It's directly related to business.

Like I said...if you were to say anything derogatory about PCGS, anything at all, you get banned from their message board. That people are allowed to flip CGC the bird like they do, and still remain, is quite amazing.

Point of clarification, though...this is actually the CCG's message board, of which NGC, PMG, CCS, and CGC are only parts.

The only controversy is in how CGC went about it. Even if some saw the writing on the wall, I think it was reasonable of Joey to expect fair warning and some advance notice of severing of ties with people he has been friends with and brought thousands of dollars of business to through the years (yes, I understand it is a two way street). Yes, business is business, but that doesn't imply a total lack of class and transparency, there is a smart way to do business and a stupid way. I'll leave what happens over the next 24 months to be the ultimate determination, and I don't claim to have a crystal ball, but I do know that I will choose to do business with the company that listens to customers and provides the best value for my hard earned dollar.

The only thing that happened was that some threads were deleted.

You folks are making it sound as if the world came to an end.

Perspective is lacking.

But I completely agree with your last sentence.

Except that most would agree that it is disingenuous to compare the "I love joeypost" thread to 'some threads were deleted'. .

meh

It's called a "summation." You would probably gain more traction if you didn't accuse people of being disingenuous. And how do you know what "most" would agree with...? Have you polled them?

What makes "I love joeypost" threads any more or less special than others? It was free advertising (it still is, while we continue to discuss it.) No one else gets that type of consideration here. All the things that were considered to be gems of information could easily have been discussed in other threads.

Some threads were deleted. It's not the end of the world, nor the giant conspiracy you folks are trying to make it be.

If you have some deep-seeded bitterness toward Joey and his success you can twist or rationalize even the most boneheaded business move, but any objective spectator would rate the last 28 hours at least a 7 on the PR debacle scale. And yes, the 'I love joeypost' thread was unique, and in a good way.

The phrase you're looking for is "deep-seated", and you're still overreacting. You are, self-evidently, not an objective spectator, so you can't really make claims about what an objective spectator would "rate" this on the "PR debacle scale."

As far as having "bitterness" toward his success, I'll assume you're using the general "you", and not referring to me, specifically. Wouldn't be very gracious to resort to ad hominem, after all.

I want Joey to be successful...you know why? Because the more business he gets, the more I get, and the more others like me get. The more people become aware of the benefits of pressing, the more people who will seek it out. Joey, and Matt, and whoever else is "top tier" in the industry can't do it all...and I'm perfectly happy to take (and have taken) the overflow.

As well...I intend to offer, and have offered, what I consider a better service, and will gladly take those customers who agree. The heart of competition is improvement. The harder your competitors push you, the better you must become, or you fail. And who do you think wins when that happens?

The customers. Always the customer.

So, no, no "deep-seeded bitterness." Success for one means opportunity for all. And competition is a glorious thing.

:cloud9:

With all that said.When is the CBCS's message board going up?

lol

I imagine it's coming in a few months to be honest. They have more important things to focus on at this point in their launch is my guess.

More importantly, i'm looking forward to getting my books. :gossip:

Banned in the USA! :headbang:

Not quite. For a while Joey was happily doing business on this board with full endorsement of CGC, until CGC eventually decided to provide the service themselves. It's more like a lawyer promoting his wares on a site owned by a guy thinking of one day going to law school maybe, and then years later when he actually graduates he deletes every mention of the previous lawyer.

Also, every time that previous lawyer handled a case, the law school student got paid, accumulating to countless thousands of dollars we can only speculate at the moment.

I'm surprised this part of the quote has gone unchallenged so far (unless the post was pruned before I saw it). These boards are run by C C G, the Certified Collectibles Group. C C G has many branches, including NGC, NCS, PMG, CGC Comics, CGC Magazines, and acquired Classics Incorporated in Nov 2012, which relaunched as CCS in Jan 2013.

CFP Comics does compete with CCS in at least some aspects of their business, which means CFP Comics does compete with C C G for the last year and a half. The "I love joeypost" thread, while including useful general information, also included a recommendation for joeypost right there in the title. The fact that the thread was tolerated for as long as it was does not in any way imply "the full endorsement of CGC."

The terms of use 7©: you acknowledge and agree that we shall have the right (but not obligation), in our sole discretion, to refuse to publish or to remove or block access to any Content you provide at any time and for any reason, with or without notice

The only controversy is in how CGC went about it. Even if some saw the writing on the wall, I think it was reasonable of Joey to expect fair warning and some advance notice of severing of ties with people he has been friends with and brought thousands of dollars of business to through the years (yes, I understand it is a two way street). Yes, business is business, but that doesn't imply a total lack of class and transparency, there is a smart way to do business and a stupid way. I'll leave what happens over the next 24 months to be the ultimate determination, and I don't claim to have a crystal ball, but I do know that I will choose to do business with the company that listens to customers and provides the best value for my hard earned dollar.

Biggest understatement of the whole thread :gossip:

You're not wrong, this is CGC's board and they can run it however they see fit. That being said, sometimes you can see a company make a misstep in how they handle something incredibly simple, like a presser being mentioned on another board. Sometimes you can see a company make several missteps over the course of a couple months, painting a picture that puts that company in a less than admirable light. But they have the right to do that, you are correct.

lol

I don't think you read anything I post. I've complained about this board's direction many times, and in many ways. My friends are tired of hearing me whine about it. Truly.

There's just no controversy about this one. It's directly related to business.

Like I said...if you were to say anything derogatory about PCGS, anything at all, you get banned from their message board. That people are allowed to flip CGC the bird like they do, and still remain, is quite amazing.

Point of clarification, though...this is actually the CCG's message board, of which NGC, PMG, CCS, and CGC are only parts.

The only thing that happened was that some threads were deleted.

You folks are making it sound as if the world came to an end.

Perspective is lacking.

But I completely agree with your last sentence.

Except that most would agree that it is disingenuous to compare the "I love joeypost" thread to 'some threads were deleted'. .

meh

It's called a "summation." You would probably gain more traction if you didn't accuse people of being disingenuous. And how do you know what "most" would agree with...? Have you polled them?

What makes "I love joeypost" threads any more or less special than others? It was free advertising (it still is, while we continue to discuss it.) No one else gets that type of consideration here. All the things that were considered to be gems of information could easily have been discussed in other threads.

Some threads were deleted. It's not the end of the world, nor the giant conspiracy you folks are trying to make it be.

If you have some deep-seeded bitterness toward Joey and his success you can twist or rationalize even the most boneheaded business move, but any objective spectator would rate the last 28 hours at least a 7 on the PR debacle scale. And yes, the 'I love joeypost' thread was unique, and in a good way.

The phrase you're looking for is "deep-seated", and you're still overreacting. You are, self-evidently, not an objective spectator, so you can't really make claims about what an objective spectator would "rate" this on the "PR debacle scale."

As far as having "bitterness" toward his success, I'll assume you're using the general "you", and not referring to me, specifically. Wouldn't be very gracious to resort to ad hominem, after all.

I want Joey to be successful...you know why? Because the more business he gets, the more I get, and the more others like me get. The more people become aware of the benefits of pressing, the more people who will seek it out. Joey, and Matt, and whoever else is "top tier" in the industry can't do it all...and I'm perfectly happy to take (and have taken) the overflow.

As well...I intend to offer, and have offered, what I consider a better service, and will gladly take those customers who agree. The heart of competition is improvement. The harder your competitors push you, the better you must become, or you fail. And who do you think wins when that happens?

The customers. Always the customer.

So, no, no "deep-seeded bitterness." Success for one means opportunity for all. And competition is a glorious thing.

:cloud9:

General "you". Sorry, after re-reading that and it does come across as overly emotional. My main point is that this entire situation could have been handled much better and I'll just leave it at that. I wish all parties in the new third party grading/pressing service landscape the best, and look forward to the results of having more than one viable grading option in the market.

lol

I imagine it's coming in a few months to be honest. They have more important things to focus on at this point in their launch is my guess.

I can't use and like both companies? hm(shrug)

(more of a philosophical broader question that goes to the heart of this discussion)

lol

I can't use and like both companies? hm(shrug)

(more of a philosophical broader question that goes to the heart of this discussion)

:ohnoez:

One thing that is also curious about this entire mishap: CGC chose to do it when everyone was out of the office.

Seems like rather convenient timing on their part.

How on earth is pulling Joeys thread, a mishap? CBCS promoted Joey on their site as their exclusive pressing service. On his site Joey displayed, and linked CBCS.

As soon as CGC was made aware of this they promptly deleted the "I love Joey post" thread as it was in violation of their no CBCS policy. Heavy handed or not, I thought they made this very clear when all the CBCS threads first took over CG.

The people that Joey wants to speak with at CGC might currently be "OOO", but to say that they pulled Joeys thread while everyone was out of the office is silly.

As I mentioned before, I thought CGC was VERY tolerant of Joeys pressing thread, given he was in direct competition with CCS for the very same service. As they are with other varying platforms of competition posted on their site. But as soon as Joey and Steve went public with their news, they pulled his thread.

How could anyone, Joey included not see this coming?

Joey is free to submit books, post here, and carry on business as usual. The ONLY thing that changed was CGC pulled a thread that allowed him an internet platform promoting his and CBCS's site/service. Not selling a CBCS book or three, not talking about CBCS. But actually being promoted by CBCS as the exclusive pressing service for CBCS.

And this is just me saying this, not CGC. Nobody calls me up and asks me what I think they should do. I was given moderation powers in the Restoration forum to, I suppose monitor, and control reported posts.

I am just somebody looking at it from both sides, and understand why what was done should not be surprising to anybody. And I also imagine this thread will get pulled too, so I have no idea why I just spent what little online time I have....typing out the same thing I did a few days ago.

Joey, good luck!! But man, you are taking up my free time!

lol

One thing that is also curious about this entire mishap: CGC chose to do it when everyone was out of the office.

How on earth is pulling Joeys thread, a mishap? CBCS promoted Joey on their site as their exclusive pressing service. On his site Joey displayed, and linked CBCS.

As soon as CGC was made aware of this they promptly deleted the "I love Joey post" thread as it was in violation of their no CBCS policy. Heavy handed or not, I thought they made this very clear when all the CBCS threads first took over CG.

The people that Joey wants to speak with at CGC might currently be "OOO", but to say that they pulled Joeys thread while everyone was out of the office is silly.

As I mentioned before, I thought CGC was VERY tolerant of Joeys pressing thread, given he was in direct competition with CCS for the very same service. As they are with other varying platforms of competition posted on their site. But as soon as Joey and Steve went public with their news, they pulled his thread.

Joey is free to submit books, post here, and carry on business as usual. The ONLY thing that changed was CGC pulled a thread that allowed him an internet platform promoting his and CBCS's site/service. Not selling a CBCS book or three, not talking about CBCS. But actually being promoted by CBCS as the exclusive pressing service for CBCS.

And this is just me saying this, not CGC. Nobody calls me up and asks me what I think they should do. I was given moderation powers in the Restoration forum to, I suppose monitor, and control reported posts.

I am just somebody looking at it from both sides, and understand why what was done should not be surprising to anybody. And I also imagine this thread will get pulled too, so I have no idea why I just spent what little online time I have....typing out the same thing I did a few days ago.

lol

Well stated Kenny

I agree. The decision to pull the thread shouldn't shock anyone. I don't think it's a big deal either.

I meant PR mishap. Clearly their move angered a lot people.

I should have clarified.

Hey since I have your attention, how do you feel about the new restoration label? As someone that works for CGC to some extent and restores books, I'm of the impression the new label is a huge slap in the face to people who restore books. This is made worse when another company that will not be named is putting restored books in universal slabs.

Thoughts?

As soon as CGC was made aware of this they promptly deleted the "I love Joey post" thread as it was in violation of their no CBCS policy. Heavy handed or not, I thought they made this very clear when all the CBCS threads took over CG.

The people Joey wants to speak with at CGC might currently be "OOO", but to say that they pulled Joeys thread while everyone was out of the office is silly.

Joey is free to submit books, post here, and carry on business as usual. The ONLY thing that changed was CGC pulled a thread that allowed him an internet platform promoting his and CBCS's site/service.

lol

I just hope CGC is equitable moving forward about pulling threads or posts about others pimping their wares here on the boards. Even in this thread there was a "free" plug that I imagine will soon go away :baiting:

I do agree with you Kenny on two points.

1) My thread was pre-CCS and CGC was tolerant in allowing it to continue. At one point it had 33,000 views. That's lots of attention directed elsewhere.

2) I have also wasted time that I do not have.

Really wish you were going to WW Chicago. If not do you live in-between there and Florida? I may drop in and say hi.

lol

Well stated Kenny

Thanx man...these are indeed unique times.

I still owe you a call, never got around to it months back. But really appreciated your kind words.

Really wish you were going to WW Chicago. If not do you live in-between there and Florida? I may drop in and say hi.

Say the word man, say the word.

You should see if they'll let you paste over a CBCS logo on your forumite of the year plaque.

It would save some time.