• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so many young collectors are being mislead

596 posts in this topic

All this glam rock talk :sick: Need to at least attempt at a Heavy Metal derailment. Their old stuff sounds nice and raw, but their new stuff is great too (and polished).

All this glam rock talk :sick: Need to at least attempt at a Heavy Metal derailment. Their old stuff sounds nice and raw, but their new stuff is great too (and polished).

Is that Roys band? lol

If Roy was in that band, I'd be his Number One Roadie.

Is that Roys band? lol

If Roy was in that band, I'd be his Number One Roadie.

Singer looks like Roy,maybe it's just his beautiful locks. lol

Saw Ozzy after he left Sabbath, great show, he didn't bite a bat or anything though,

Bat thing has some truth to it. Someone threw a bat on stage and Ozzy thought it was fake and bit its head off. I remember him saying that he had to get a bunch of shots and didn't find it funny.

Iron Maiden: Where Eagle's Dare is still my favorite. I saw Motley Crue open for Ozzy in Madison Square Garden in 1984. After Crue opened, half the crowd left and didn't even stay for the Bark at the Moon segment.

Those were the days where tickets were $30 and you would get row 10 easy.

I am really touched by this thread. I feel awful for those being mislead and I am going to do something about it this instant!

I will pay cover plus slabbing fees for all of your WD1s, Spawn B&Ws, Saga RRPs, Spider Man Platinums, and so on and so forth.

Problem solved.

Truthfully, I don't think the majority of comic book collectors are in it for the money. I feel most collect what they like for the sake of collecting, or for the stories or characters, and really aren't concerned about turning a profit. (Aside from those who do it as a profession). Whenever I sell a book, I am happy to get what I paid, I am not concerned with profiting off my fellow collectors.

You guys are soo funny and smart with suggestions on how other people should spend/throw away their hard earned money (misleading) and I will bow out gracefully and not give any more sound advice on drek, I was just trying to be helpful the same way I would help someone with their 401K

The way I see it is that you are not being taken too seriously for several reasons...

- This is the CGC board. What a place to post that advice :makepoint:

- The CGC board loves to troll. You could be trolling and doing a good job of it too with loaded questions ;)

- People buy and sell online a hell of a lot now from the comfort of their own home and a slabbed comic is one way of making sure you get what you pay for.

- Collecting in any format for monetary gain alone can possibly be seen as quite shallow and nothing to do with having any kind of passion. Essentially you are collecting the almighty dollar and not something that fills that gap / completes you. You know, fits the format and motivations of a true collector.

- Collecting slabbed comics is still a pretty niche pursuit, I wouldn't like to guess at the percentage of moderns graded versus the amount printed for any given month. You are not preaching to the masses here.

- This could be boiled down to the "what I collect is great and what you collect is drek" argument.

- Collecting slabbed moderns is considerably cheaper than collecting slabbed GA / SA books. there are always going to be different tiers of collectors. People who collect modern titles might not give the tiniest ounce of mess about what happened in what they perceive to be camp 50's and 60's publications. They may have literally no motivation to to even look at them. Imagine that, modern titles with a following all of its own. That's a happy thought to hold onto. I wouldn't consider grading any personal collection unless it was already worth something and it was going to be left to someone that wasn't necessarily interested in comics. That's just my personal take on it, however... did you stop and think that your advice may just be cutting out the legs from under your own hobby? If there aren't any modern titles to take up the mantle now then it will die out along with everyone who has nostalgia for GA / SA books. If you think that the majority of older stuff is blue chip or an untouchable legacy then have a think about what happened to pulps or children's annuals or any other form of publication that sold in it's millions, was a household name, had merchandising coming out of its ears and has long since been forgotten. It would just be a mater of time before plenty gets whittled down.

What you are saying is not new news. Don't pay a lot of money for drek guys, you can thank me later for that tip. :facepalm: How is this advice insightful to anyone other than people who actually don't even read and digest what they buy?

Glam rock peaked with this guy

Glam rock lives on.

Morrissey still performs (I use that word liberally because he rarely takes the stage these days.) early Bowie, Lou Reed and New York Dolls material.

David Johansen still performs a few NY Dolls tunes when he performs.

Phish have been known to cover a few songs from that era as well.

I think 1940's war comics are better than the 1950's ones. Just saying...

Nice play Mike. (thumbs u

Thanks Dave. :hi:

Dell War Comics & War Stories. :cloud9:

I love the vintage stuff, but anyone that thinks that 1950s war comics are a better long term investment than Deadpool comics is a little confused. Deadpool is this generation's Wolverine.

The closer I can get to "heavy" not to displease Dr. Balls is some Killing Joke:

But of course they have never been "metal" in the strict sense of the term. One of my favorites from "Brighter than a thousand suns":

Hey, we could start a "chain reply" music thread (but maybe should be in the Water Cooler?). :)