• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so many young collectors are being mislead

596 posts in this topic

Tell me about Phish, the Smiths, Jimmy Buffett and Billy Joel

I've seen Phish several times in concert. They're all very talented musicians. The Smiths I never cared for...too much "Look at me!" vapor. Buffett is disposable "turn your brain off and drink" good vibes. Billy Joel I really enjoy, both to listen and to play...sooo much talent.

Anyone else as long as we're thread-derailing? :)

Peace,

Chip

Ok derailing, first concerts? Mine was the Cal Jam, Black Sabbath (RJD version), Journey, the Tubes, and the Babys played

The Babys actually reformed after a 32 year hiatus. Released an album a few weeks ago (June 24th) called "I'll Have Some Of That." It's really good. They just left the stage at a festival in Montana (Rockin' The Rivers), with Queensryche (not the Geoff Tate one), Lita Ford, April Wine, and many others.

Great band. Wally Stocker is my cousin, so I happen to be intimately involved, but I've been a fan since the first album.

They opened for Rush (my favorite band) on a number of gigs, and so did Marillion (who I saw mentioned earlier in this thread).

My first concert was Blue Oyster Cult on the Mirrors tour, Ian Hunter Band (with Mick Ronson) opening, at the Hollywood Sportatorium (RIP), Hollywood, Florida.

My second concert was Black Sabbath with RJD on the Heaven and Hell tour.

Freaking killer bands :headbang:

I've seen Rush 3 times and I could see them 300 more. The tops in progressive creativity imo. I've seen Dio too. My bro still has a Vivian Campbell pick ( along with another 50 or so from other shows) lol

I thought Heaven and Hell was slightly better than the Mob Rules album and that says it all. Lucky you. :applause:

agreed. but heaven and hell by a mile over mob rules. i'm at 42 rush concerts and counting, starting with moving pictures at the old omni in atlanta. i wanted to go to The Tour Of The Hemispheres and Permanent Waves tour, but my mom wouldn't let me :|

i never saw them live, then caught them on TV one night and was floored! One of the only bands I have ever heard sound as good live as recorded. Amazing talent !

Agreed ! Rik Emmitt from Triumph (another great 3 man Canadian band) is like that too. Check out old footage of Triumph at the US Festival. He was so great it was silly. lol

It don't matter to me how people spend their money, i do think slabbing moderns is a waste of $$$ unless is like a 1:200 variant that is a 9.8 candidate, people need to do their homework and be smart about this hobby.

One of your last 3 purchases was an ASM 607 slab ;)

Black cat collector, one of the few moderns in my PC.

That's fine. But what you and the OP need to recognize is that if we took moderns out of this hobby, it would eventually die. Moderns help keep his hobby current, vibrant, and flourishing.

Ryan I definitely agree with you and others that Moderns are essential to keep the hobby vibrant and flourishing but my comment just agreed with the OP that slabbing moderns (or the majority of them) does not make much sense. Of course I only read the first page so possibly I missed something.

I've seen Phish several times in concert. They're all very talented musicians. The Smiths I never cared for...too much "Look at me!" vapor. Buffett is disposable "turn your brain off and drink" good vibes. Billy Joel I really enjoy, both to listen and to play...sooo much talent.

Peace,

Chip

Ok derailing, first concerts? Mine was the Cal Jam, Black Sabbath (RJD version), Journey, the Tubes, and the Babys played

The Babys actually reformed after a 32 year hiatus. Released an album a few weeks ago (June 24th) called "I'll Have Some Of That." It's really good. They just left the stage at a festival in Montana (Rockin' The Rivers), with Queensryche (not the Geoff Tate one), Lita Ford, April Wine, and many others.

Great band. Wally Stocker is my cousin, so I happen to be intimately involved, but I've been a fan since the first album.

They opened for Rush (my favorite band) on a number of gigs, and so did Marillion (who I saw mentioned earlier in this thread).

My first concert was Blue Oyster Cult on the Mirrors tour, Ian Hunter Band (with Mick Ronson) opening, at the Hollywood Sportatorium (RIP), Hollywood, Florida.

I've seen Rush 3 times and I could see them 300 more. The tops in progressive creativity imo. I've seen Dio too. My bro still has a Vivian Campbell pick ( along with another 50 or so from other shows) lol

I thought Heaven and Hell was slightly better than the Mob Rules album and that says it all. Lucky you. :applause:

agreed. but heaven and hell by a mile over mob rules. i'm at 42 rush concerts and counting, starting with moving pictures at the old omni in atlanta. i wanted to go to The Tour Of The Hemispheres and Permanent Waves tour, but my mom wouldn't let me :|

Neil Peart is still one of the greatest of all time.

+1

Wanna talk great drum solo's? Here's one to knock your socks off.

Godsmack F-ing rocks!

Peace,

Chip

+1

Godsmack F-ing rocks!

Holy beat keepers Oakman :headbang:

A little of their own,a little YYZ, a little Walk this way, and a lot of that FREAKING ROCKS

:banana:

I agree about Godsmack too. I think they brought something HEAVY back that hadn't been in the forefront for a while when they arrived. Thanks man :applause:

Peace,

Chip

+1

Godsmack F-ing rocks!

Awesome, hadn't seen that. Nice little homage to John Bonham at the end. Now I got to pull out my Godsmack CDs. :headbang:

Speaking of KISS posters, how much would it suck to grow up without this in your room?

KISS-Poster.jpg

Real music:

I kept waiting for them to play, "Fight On" and "Conquest" :jokealert:

kiss is horrible .how can you look that cool and play such lame music? I mean Detroit rock city has a sweet riff. and ace freely can play guitar but he aint no gary king..

Peace,

Chip

+1

Godsmack F-ing rocks!

Holy beat keepers Oakman :headbang:

A little of their own,a little YYZ, a little Walk this way, and a lot of that FREAKING ROCKS

:banana:

I agree about Godsmack too. I think they brought something HEAVY back that hadn't been in the forefront for a while when they arrived. Thanks man :applause:

Yes! If you ever get a chance to see them live,it's well worth it. :headbang:

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread .... How come there's not a section

Like "Classic Threads" so new boardies can read through them and enjoy some old CGC board goodness ....

Link.

I love how these lame azz threads are turning into positive discussions lately.

:foryou: Jimmers

Too many young musicians are being misled...

No, they're being mislead.

Right, right-I was mislead about that

Too many young musicians are being misled...

No, they're being mislead.

No, no, no, no. If it's in the plural then they are being misleddended. :sumo: