• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so many young collectors are being mislead

596 posts in this topic

Again...?

Really?

I think we all know your thoughts on the matter by now.

+1

This guy just won't quit spewing his :censored:!

So don't collect what they say to collect, collect what you say to collect.

no that's not what I am saying , collect and read all the moderns you want ... just don't waste $20.00++ on a slab, do you think beanie baby collectors from 15 years ago don't care one bit about the ones they spent $100 of dollars then that are worthless now even though they loved them at the time ?? I guarantee the do and they regret it big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEW COLLECTORS BEWARE OF THE MISLEADING ADVISE FROM THESE CHATBOARD MEMBERS

What should I have for breakfast tomorrow?

Eggs or Waffles?

resurrection .. you are wrong , coin collecting is the leading hobby these days , and OLD coins lead the hobby , not new coins, nobody wants the coins of their youth ,why would someone want a 1972 nickel ?? DON'T THINK SO THERE IS NO NOSTALGIA coin collectors want 18th century coins , Indians,etc

I think what the poster is possibly referring to is the whole concept of slabbing and grading comic books hot off the press, which inherently will and should be 9.6's and there will be a lot of 9.8's, since it's going straight from the shelves to the graders.

Whereas with the older comics, pre-mid-80's, before the investing horders came into the hobby, storing away massive amounts of unread comics, bagged and boarded, it was more of a rarity to get high grade comics.

So, it seems like it could be a waste to spend $$$ on grading current books, so long as you keep them in good condition yourself, then later decide to grade them if they end up standing the test of time as an investment.

Otherwise, from what I thought I heard, the CGC slabs are not even archival quality and they recommend re-slabbing after a half dozen years or so anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of CGC's grading bias in what the count as acceptable and not, as well as not having a uniform standard for grading all books regardless of age, with their added consideration for older books held to a lesser standard than modern current books.

So, it's not about "don't buy new comics" more than don't proactively turn a $3.99 investment into a $25 investment by slabbing new books before they have time to mature, as the majority of modern books may in fact become quarter bin garbage, and the smaller diamonds in the rough that end up do become worth their weight in gold, you can then later decide to slab 'em since if you slab them now and they don't go up and then become hot in 10 years, technically you might have to pay to get it re-slabbed anyway.

resurrection .. you are wrong , coin collecting is the leading hobby these days , and OLD coins lead the hobby , not new coins, nobody wants the coins of their youth ,why would someone want a 1972 nickel ?? DON'T THINK SO THERE IS NO NOSTALGIA coin collectors want 18th century coins , Indians,etc

Gosh, and you were doing so well up until now.

Quote:

I can't take anyone seriously who can't quote a post properly

I will admit I am not skilled at computers and am aware that I do not post correctly , I am evidently of a different age group , I prefer in face to face communication but I have no other fellow collector friends as I am a new to comics after 40 years, my friends collect coins, for you to discount someone without computer skills is ok but actually quite shallow

Flip a coin. Heads- I don't care, Tails - I don't give a :censored: I collect what I like. I also build cars, HUGE waste of money. Just thousands of dollars waiting for the next nitrous hit to blow all across the track. But I will still collect the comics I want, and break the cars when I feel like it.

Quote:

I will admit I am not skilled at computers and am aware that I do not post correctly , I am evidently of a different age group , I prefer in face to face communication but I have no other fellow collector friends as I am a new to comics after 40 years, my friends collect coins, for you to discount someone without computer skills is ok but actually quite shallow

You just came in here knocking everyone else for what they like! :makepoint: And now you are upset because you are getting it back? Seriously, oh it IS the weekend.

They could be vampires longing for the old days.

You make some good points. Could you tell us which comic grading company to use for those comics deemed worthwhile? And why you would choose that one over the other grading companies? Please be specific when describing each company. Thank you.

not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but the only true grading debate is in the numismatic field with two very top notch companies , NGC and PCGS and another decent grading company ANACS, there a complexities and nuances to each of the three companies, you may wan to google them all for more info

,thank you

Quote:

what can I say I like girls with big boobs :shrug:

oh and modern comics :banana:

Quote:

what can I say I like girls with big boobs :shrug:

oh and modern comics :banana:

Big boobs :cloud9: