• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so many young collectors are being mislead

596 posts in this topic

i'm sure fingh has beaten me to this but: 50's war comics suck

I think this was stated somewhere earlier but repetition Is key to these threads :grin:

I thought everyone loved 50's war comics out of nostalgia?

Who doesn't love a good war...?

Do you see the button at the bottom of each persons post that says "Quote"? Just push that and it will quote the message for you.

thank you ! I did not know about the quote box I have learned something new, computers are very hard for us older people, when I first moved out on my own in 1980 I couldn't even afford a land line phone but it didn't even matter life was fine without a phone

I think this was stated somewhere earlier but repetition Is key to these threads :grin:

The whole era reeks of nostalgia.

MmmMmmM segregation.

:jokealert:

The whole era reeks of nostalgia.

MmmMmmM segregation.

:jokealert:

oh damn hahahaha

Read, collect, and slab/grade what you like and don't worry about what others think.

ATTN: new collectors! the point of this thread is to DO NOT pay any heed to the poster of the above message who is attempting to mislead you into believing that you should collect comics and slab what you want and let others worry.

you would not take a brand new penny out of change and pay $20.00++ to have it NGC graded even if you loved that penny now would you ? of course not ,,, you would keep the penny and save $20.00++ same with a modern 1990 and above comics (drek)

It's Mitch, isn't it?

there is no grading debate in the comic field CGC is the only choice for now , I hear there is another start up company on the way so too soon for a debate there.

and pgx is buyer beware

Can you tell us everything you know about the new company?

there is only one comic grading company CGC and they are great , there may be some others not even worth mentioning, same as in coins , there are only three worth mentioning and some other pretenders , I am surprised that you would ask such a question

So don't collect what they say to collect, collect what you say to collect.

no that's not what I am saying , collect and read all the moderns you want ... just don't waste $20.00++ on a slab, do you think beanie baby collectors from 15 years ago don't care one bit about the ones they spent $100 of dollars then that are worthless now even though they loved them at the time ?? I guarantee the do and they regret it big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEW COLLECTORS BEWARE OF THE MISLEADING ADVISE FROM THESE CHATBOARD MEMBERS

You need to go sit on a can of SPAM, cause that's the BS you're serving right now

being mislead by some of the top posters of these chatboard and the copper and modern collectors who try to justify paying $20.00+++ to slab a modern post 1990 comic sure there is a few winners but they say that when these young people get old and have dispensable income they will want to come back and get the comics of their youth HUH?? don't think so.

if they have dispensable income they are going to want the vintage golden age stuff that is actually rare and will have held its value , not some 1990+ drek with census counts in the thousands, of course there is a really good chance that 99.98% of all modern slabbed comics will be in dollar boxes in 25 years and there also will be youtube tutorials on how to safely burn your slabbed drek comic and all without breathing in toxic fumes TRUST ME !

I have books in my collection from every decade, 40s to present. Each one of them is cool to me for a different reason. The early GA supes I started with were cool because of the vintage appeal and so are the silver and bronze books I collect. The coppers are cool because they are the books I grew up with and the nostalgia hits me hard when I go through books my parents gave me as a kid. The moderns that I collect now mean something to me because in many cases I have read the series and have an emotional and time investment in the series.

I've said this before, but some people collect all kinds of stuff we might think weird and wacky. I watch American Pickers and they have people that collect: signs, oil cans, gas pumps, lambs, car parts, toilets, toilet plungers, barbed wire, election pins, etc, etc, etc. You may have the right to tell people what they collect is stupid and what you collect is awesome, but that doesn't mean you should.

To each their own.

no that's not what I am saying , collect and read all the moderns you want ... just don't waste $20.00++ on a slab, do you think beanie baby collectors from 15 years ago don't care one bit about the ones they spent $100 of dollars then that are worthless now even though they loved them at the time ?? I guarantee the do and they regret it big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to go sit on a can of SPAM, cause that's the BS you're serving right now

Appreciate the sentiment, not sure I understand the reference.

Also, I do love the OPs POV: "don't trust anyone one the boards, they are out to get you. But you can trust me on the boards, I am only looking out for you!"

being mislead by some of the top posters of these chatboard and the copper and modern collectors who try to justify paying $20.00+++ to slab a modern post 1990 comic sure there is a few winners but they say that when these young people get old and have dispensable income they will want to come back and get the comics of their youth HUH?? don't think so.

if they have dispensable income they are going to want the vintage golden age stuff that is actually rare and will have held its value , not some 1990+ drek with census counts in the thousands, of course there is a really good chance that 99.98% of all modern slabbed comics will be in dollar boxes in 25 years and there also will be youtube tutorials on how to safely burn your slabbed drek comic and all without breathing in toxic fumes TRUST ME !

I have books in my collection from every decade, 40s to present. Each one of them is cool to me for a different reason. The early GA supes I started with were cool because of the vintage appeal and so are the silver and bronze books I collect. The coppers are cool because they are the books I grew up with and the nostalgia hits me hard when I go through books my parents gave me as a kid. The moderns that I collect now mean something to me because in many cases I have read the series and have an emotional and time investment in the series.

I've said this before, but some people collect all kinds of stuff we might think weird and wacky. I watch American Pickers and they have people that collect: signs, oil cans, gas pumps, lambs, car parts, toilets, toilet plungers, barbed wire, election pins, etc, etc, etc. You may have the right to tell people what they collect is stupid and what you collect is awesome, but that doesn't mean you should.

To each their own.

Boo! Boo to pragmatism!

Appreciate the sentiment, not sure I understand the reference.

Also, I do love the OPs POV: "don't trust anyone one the boards, they are out to get you. But you can trust me on the boards, I am only looking out for you!"

What...you've never eaten Spam???????

To each their own.

Boo! Boo to pragmatism!

Tough job... Someone has to do it ;)