• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inhumans movie (un)offically official?
3 3

281 posts in this topic

INHUMANS: Tensions Run High Between Marvel And ABC After Disappointing Response To IMAX Series

Inhumans performed admirably over Labor Day weekend but it wasn't exactly a hit with a total of $2.6 million across 676 IMAX screens worldwide. Reviews have also torn into the series and not even fans of the likes of Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seem overly fussed on the first two episodes of the show. As a result, it probably won't surprise you to learn that ABC isn't best pleased with Marvel!

According to Variety, the IMAX investment means Inhumans is effectively paid for regardless of its theatrical performance or how many viewers it draws in on ABC. That could explain why Marvel appeared to scrimp and save on the show and why the costumes to special effects were problematic. 

Sources tell the trade that ABC had concerns over the quality of Inhumans - including "both the special effects of early cuts and the underpinning scripts" - from the start and those became a "source of contention between ABC and Marvel." It's also thought that the box office numbers will bring a halt to any future investments from IMAX and that means they're on their own if season two happens.

This is a bigger bust than the Fox Fantastic Four reboot on Rotten Tomatoes. FF was a 9% and Inhumans is a 7%. 

Wow! :whatthe:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_the_inhumans/s01

Some of the critics.

"Inhumans is legitimately the worst Marvel adaptation of the year (yes, even beating out Iron Fist). In fact, as far as terrible Marvel adaptations go, you might have to go all the way back to Roger Corman's unreleased 1994 Fantastic Four film to best it."

"There's a lot about this series that's beyond comprehension, human or inhuman."

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Here's the part of the process that I don't understand.  At some point in meetings, conference calls, and brainstorming why didn't anybody raise their hand and said "this looks horrible"?  Again, just watching the commercial/trailer the general public could tell it was bad.

This upsets me because I love the Inhumans.  Black Bolt is one of my favorite characters.  The Whilce Portacio art in X-Factor (Lunar Assault) is one of my all time favorites.  They really messed this up.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Here's the part of the process that I don't understand.  At some point in meetings, conference calls, and brainstorming why didn't anybody raise their hand and said "this looks horrible"?  Again, just watching the commercial/trailer the general public could tell it was bad.

This upsets me because I love the Inhumans.  Black Bolt is one of my favorite characters.  The Whilce Portacio art in X-Factor (Lunar Assault) is one of my all time favorites.  They really messed this up.

Add to this situation they picked some really solid actors too. So you definitely don't want to turn them off by having a poor product land on TV.

Anson Mount as Black Bolt seems like a really good choice. His expressions just seem to convey a strong character. And with Iwan Rheon (Game of Thrones' Ramsay Bolton), you have an instant winner. Though in this case, he's not completely this evil character like Ramsay. He just has a different view on things how their situation should be handled.

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This is a bigger bust than the Fox Fantastic Four reboot on Rotten Tomatoes. FF was a 9% and Inhumans is a 7%. 

Wow! :whatthe:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_the_inhumans/s01

Some of the critics.

"Inhumans is legitimately the worst Marvel adaptation of the year (yes, even beating out Iron Fist). In fact, as far as terrible Marvel adaptations go, you might have to go all the way back to Roger Corman's unreleased 1994 Fantastic Four film to best it."

"There's a lot about this series that's beyond comprehension, human or inhuman."

Love the Iron Fist dig.

I still remember boardies here defending that turd when it came out. I liked aspects of it, but my god did they miss on the Iron Fist character (as well as the chance to cast _anyone_ other than Finn Jones).

Inhumans hasn’t been cancelled (yet), but even James Gunn thinks the writing is on the wall

Rumours were abound that Inhumans was dead in the water thanks to some pesky poster copy highlighting the show’s movie premiere on  September 29 on ABC as ‘The Complete Series.’ Naturally, people jumped to conclusions but, as of right now, Inhumans is still standing and its 8-episode run is still planning to air in full on ABC in the US and Sky1 in the UK.

BkPqqktynXDRq9ZBCfb2Df-650-80.jpg

The first reactions weren’t great and, heck, even Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn took a question in a recent Facebook Q&A which, while a little ambiguous, sure can be read like a dig at Marvel’s latest TV property.

When asked if Gunn could save the Inhumans, the director presented a short and not-so-sweet reply, “It does not look like there is much saving left for The Inhumans.”

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎06 at 6:12 AM, TeddieMercede said:

I guess it's still early but it has a 0% on rotten tomatoes. 

7% on Rotten Tomatoes for Inhumans tv bests DC's Jonah Hex movie with that lead actress from Transformers 1, 2 movies that garnered 0% Rotten Tomatoes. How was Lock Jaw's acting?  

On 7/22/2017 at 12:29 PM, Jaydogrules said:

As the special effects continue to be polished, every subsequent trailer makes me think more and more this is going to be a super hero version of Game of Thrones.  There's never been anything attempted like that before in scope. It's ambitious, and will probably represent a pivot point in what we see going forward.  

-J.

On 7/21/2017 at 8:32 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Actually, that trailer is on point.    

This is going to be the super hero show game changer for network television.  

-J.

Ayyyy lmao

‘Inhumans’ Review: Yes, Marvel’s Latest TV Series Is Mystifyingly Bad

About halfway through watching the two-hour premiere of Marvel’s Inhumans, I came up with a way to make it more bearable. If you watch it as a comedy, it almost works. In fact — and this is the first and last time I will ever say this — it’s a show that could actually be improved by a laugh track. For a fleeting moment I was almost convinced by this alternative version of the show as a bleak satire of the superhero genre.

Iron Fist’s Scott Buck helms the series and wrote the two-hour premiere, and it is an incredible mess.

What’s so interesting about Inhumans is figuring out just how it got to be this bad. It doesn’t work on any level. Originally pitched as part of Marvel’s Phase 3 movie development, the idea was shifted to the television side, but it was a project Marvel never seemed particularly invested in. As was recently reported, director Roel Reine admitted he was hired because Marvel wanted Inhumans’ production to be “fast and cheap”, a surprising choice for a series that wants to convince people to pay $20 to see it in a theater before it airs again for free on television.

Plus, it’s not like Marvel has been hitting it out of the park lately with its TV content. Iron Fist was a bore, The Defenders was a huge letdown, and Marvel has struggled to keep its broadcast series on the air (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. might have improved last season, but ABC not cancelling it likely has little to do with quality and everything to do with their parent company’s wishes for corporate synergy). With Inhumans and its short episode run, Marvel TV had a chance to do something interesting with these weird characters. Instead it murdered the idea in front of us.

There are two bright spots in Inhumans, though, and one is a teleporting dog, Lockjaw, who is fully CG. And yet he somehow is more interesting and more worthy of our care than any actual person — human or inhuman — on the show. Having said that, Serinda Swan makes a case for Medusa once she is on Earth (in Hawaii, no less). She already seemed like the smartest person in Attilan, and she proves that truth by continuing to be thoughtful and resourceful, and even getting some decent action sequences that set her up as the true heroine.

OVERALL RATING: 1.0/5.0