• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction November 2014

315 posts in this topic

Gee I tried for a Bruce Timm sketch of Harley (unpublished & undated) $1800

hm What would he charge at a show?

Wow that does seem rich for unpubbed and undated! Harley fever.

$150 item

Full figure full colour for $150? He charges $100 for a marker head sketch the last time I checked. So as for what he would charge at a show, you can't get it at a show, he only does marker head sketches at shows.

Malvin

$150 item

Full figure full colour for $150? He charges $100 for a marker head sketch the last time I checked. So as for what he would charge at a show, you can't get it at a show, he only does marker head sketches at shows.

Malvin

He has been doing Harley sketches for such a long time now . There are 100s if not thousands of these out there . Sure is someone pays that kinda cash for an undated item that's fine .. But they are not rare..

Why not fly to a show and show him $400 ? He does that for you in a Harley flash with a smile and a picture ..

$150 item

Malvin

He has been doing Harley sketches for such a long time now . There are 100s if not thousands of these out there . Sure is someone pays that kinda cash for an undated item that's fine .. But they are not rare..

Why not fly to a show and show him $400 ? He does that for you in a Harley flash with a smile and a picture ..

If you want full figure and color (usually the only way to go unless you want a $100 head sketch), you have to set it up in advance with Albert Moy, and I think the price is $1250 or somewhere around there. Bruce will not do anything other than $100 head shots at shows and you have to get a dealer badge most times to get in his line which fills up within minutes of the hall opening.

I was completely shut out. Was the underbidder on a few pieces. Oh well, NEXT AUCTION!

Exactly, there is always more art. All one-of-a-kind of course, but always more art. I learned this today as well; a piece I saw at comic art con and tried to buy yesterday was traded to Rich Donnelly. We can both cry in our cereal this morning but maybe buy something else soon enough!

I was the underbidder of a few things as well. An Al Capp Sunday and, by mistake, the Caniff daily that went before it! That was a close, but rookie, mistake!

Since we've discussed pieces a bit lacking in contextual factors, what did everyone think of the results on the two drew Struzan paintings? There are almost no struzan paintings on the market but matrix one was smaller and didn't have great eye appeal to me; the Howard the duck was a bit of an odd duck (rimshot!) as well with the large black and purple color fields disrupting the painting. Although the date was better, it was unpublished and didn't look amazing either. Still both went around 2500, and while I was I was very unsure of what to expect , 5 or more each would have been zero surprise to me.... I thought they ended as low as they could possibly have gone really. I haven't taken a look at the broad results yet but maybe it was a weak auction for pieces that only hit desirability on a few notes as opposed to many

Since we've discussed pieces a bit lacking in contextual factors, what did everyone think of the results on the two drew Struzan paintings? There are almost no struzan paintings on the market but matrix one was smaller and didn't have great eye appeal to me; the Howard the duck was a bit of an odd duck (rimshot!) as well with the large black and purple color fields disrupting the painting. Although the date was better, it was unpublished and didn't look amazing either. Still both went around 2500, and while I was I was very unsure of what to expect , 5 or more each would have been zero surprise to me.... I thought they ended as low as they could possibly have gone really.

I think marvel silver and bronze age stuff went as expected or higher (sometimes significantly) and everything else was as expected or soft, but yes I agree with your assessment of the 2 paintings

One of my favorites too. I played that album and marvelled at that illustration many times. Drew also has a lot of pieces on his site as you probably know, but the prices are very high as well.

You are right that there's plenty of Struzan technically on the market, but almost none that isn't listed at very high prices. I'm not paying 125k for a cutthroat island movie poster and I don't think anyone else is either! Excellent artist though.

Since we've discussed pieces a bit lacking in contextual factors, what did everyone think of the results on the two drew Struzan paintings? There are almost no struzan paintings on the market but matrix one was smaller and didn't have great eye appeal to me; the Howard the duck was a bit of an odd duck (rimshot!) as well with the large black and purple color fields disrupting the painting. Although the date was better, it was unpublished and didn't look amazing either. Still both went around 2500, and while I was I was very unsure of what to expect , 5 or more each would have been zero surprise to me.... I thought they ended as low as they could possibly have gone really.

I think marvel silver and bronze age stuff went as expected or higher (sometimes significantly) and everything else was as expected or soft, but yes I agree with your assessment of the 2 paintings

Thx Doc

Those prices are Hollywood money bait or another way of saying NFS (to the rest of us). There is an art to pricing just under market to draw in arbitrage money but that assumes one wants/needs to be selling the art. I'm thinking Drew isn't feeling that pain. And the art gathers dust. But then again I could be wrong, his commission market has really suffered since posters went to mostly photos. So who knows?

Don't know about others, but I personally have been overexposed to the Struzan style. This is not Drew's fault! I'm not saying I'd never buy anything from his later refined Hollywood style, but if I did it would be with an eye toward re-sale (so the price would have to be very attractive to begin with). His earlier style is looser and more organic, less -dare I say- formulaic and more appealing to me because of it. But even so, overall, I've seen too much of it too many times and have lost the appreciation required to own. Not that Sabbath would ever be $20k, but that would be the area I'd get interested. Otherwise fine with having a book or two on the shelf. This is true, for me, of a lot of 70s-90s mainstream illustration work.

This phenomenon is actually what initially drew me (and kept me) in vintage illustration, 20s-50s...no nostalgia but it's been dated since the day I was born, so I've never been overexposed to it either!

Well I just think that like most artists there's a peak period there. I co-owned a Struzan from 2002(?) if I remember and I wasn't that impressed - nice but didn't blow me away whereas the mid 70s- mid 90s stuff still does. He did have a host of imitators so I can understand feeling overexposed to it.

Jones comment....I saw this one live and agree felt a bit high but it is in color...most of the Idylls are not... that said, I might have gone after it but the gag is just a bit too bawdy for display in my home as stated.

I was happy.

Got my Black Cat #27 Page 1....

This title page was quoted in Seduction of the Innocent ...

(Mr zero and the Juvenile Delinquent ) Page 193 SOTI

I was really surprised Heritage didn't mention on the auction that this was a SOTI story .... Even though expensive I believe a quoted SOTI title page should have gone for more . Silly Heritage

:cloud9:

:whee:

Blackcat_zps71bed042.jpg

McF Spidey 300 for 173K, a lot lower than some bullish estimates, but that is a lot for a stat. I hope the winner knew what he was buying, the HA description was vague but accurate (spidey figure is all inks is technically correct)

Why is the McSpidey 300 cover listed at $140,000.23 in the Heritage auction archives now?* How do you even get to a round number with $0.23 tacked on at the end? Wasn't this cover like $140K hammer going into the live session? (shrug)

* Caught by a fellow Board member, I can't take credit for spying this.

BTW, this ASM #40 splash recreation just sold for $418 at Heritage. It's now on eBay with a $55,000 Buy-It-Now price. In the fine print, it says it's a recreation. But, on the other hand, looking at the photo, it looks to have been artificially manipulated to make it look older.* :facepalm:

* Caught by a fellow Board member, I can't take credit for spying this.

151530.jpg.88497619ca25f9811e1245272730a492.jpg