• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction November 2014

315 posts in this topic

I was quite impressed with 7K for the Roth/Ayers X-men 25 page. Nice team action & all, but that price is in Kirby/Roth territory.

http://nostalgicinvestments.com/comic-art/x-men-issue-9-page-10

This looks cheap now as far as early x men go

Is the rising tide of Byrne X-men pulling up silver-age X-men?

I think it's the rising tide of Kirby layout X-Men pulling up Roth full pencils X-Men.

I ended up winning A LOT of pieces in this auction, including some lots that I didn't even mean to - I just threw in some bids thinking they had little to no chance of winning and was absolutely floored that I ended up with them (not going to name names, as I may look to sell or trade some of these inadvertent buys and not keep them longer-term). Of course there were a lot of very strong results, particularly among the headline pieces (the aforementioned UXM #142 page, the Watchmen #12 page, the McSpidey page, the Romita ASM cover and half splash, the Avengers #118 cover, the Lightle Classic X-Men cover, the Davis Excalibur cover, the Daredevil #158 splash, etc.), but there were a lot of pieces, especially in the next tier down, that I felt sold at very reasonable prices, some even very cheap.

I know it was a good auction for whoever bought my Wally Wood Sally Forths (I'm taking a 53% hit on those) and my Enric painting. :cry:

I ended up winning A LOT of pieces in this auction, including some lots that I didn't even mean to - I just threw in some bids thinking they had little to no chance of winning and was absolutely floored that I ended up with them (not going to name names, as I may look to sell or trade some of these inadvertent buys and not keep them longer-term). Of course there were a lot of very strong results, particularly among the headline pieces (the aforementioned UXM #142 page, the Watchmen #12 page, the McSpidey page, the Romita ASM cover and half splash, the Avengers #118 cover, the Lightle Classic X-Men cover, etc.), but there were a lot of pieces, especially in the next tier down, that I felt sold at very reasonable prices, some even very cheap.

I know it was a good auction for whoever bought my Wally Wood Sally Forths (I'm taking a 53% hit on those) and my Enric painting. :cry:

I keep looking at Sally forths and thinking those are going to do something soon......but they pretty much stay the same....I have no idea why, they have so much going for them!

I am going to regret not taking that Andru/Everett page higher. I sold a BWS page today and on the ride home was considering bidding again but was a few minutes late getting home.

Congrats to the buyer. I have no idea of the Andru or Everett market but I liked the page. I hope John S got it, but I feel it was Alan. Anyone know? Did you get it?

Anyway, Eder has the thing I want.

I ended up picking up the Andru-Everett piece. I pegged it early as one to keep an eye on but the early bidding seemed like it was going to go higher than I wanted to pay so I forgot about it. Then when it came up and no one bid, my finger was compelled to hit the button...or perhaps my Astral self pressed it ;)

Either way I was happy to land it for 2k give or take.

Ken

Nice page Ken. Congrats!

As you`re finding out the hard way, the audience for that kind of art is limited because a lot of married collectors` wives simply won`t let them buy it (or at least would be very unhappy if they did).

but there were a lot of pieces, especially in the next tier down, that I felt sold at very reasonable prices, some even very cheap.

An area I`m seeing a lot of price appreciation is in comic strip art. Granted in some cases it`s from a relatively low base, but quite a number of pieces are going for double what they were a few years ago.

As you`re finding out the hard way, the audience for that kind of art is limited because a lot of married collectors` wives simply won`t let them buy it (or at least would be very unhappy if they did).

I showed my wife a very nice BWS Storyteller double page spread I was considering and she said "But she's almost naked. And it will be on the wall?" I pointed to the BWS splash on the wall now - "but she is naked and you like that one?" "yeah...but"

Oh well. I guess having a real woman beats having one on the wall, but still.

Finally won my first piece of the auction

whatchaget?

Kirby ? hm

You know me so well. Can't pass up a Kirby last page. Especially a signed one :cloud9: I know I'm weird but I love first and last pages of books.

I love those too, especially EC ones :cloud9:

Also surprised that ASM 121 pre-lims go for less than ASM 121 color guides. Is color guide the new OA?

$3,883 is an amazing sale price for a single color guide page from Spider-Man #121 !

Whilst most buyers continue to proclaim color guides as worthless a small minority have been buying up complete, key vintage guides for the cost of this one page so having some public reference points for the value of the better material (which is rarely ever offered for sale) can only strengthen the market.

This could be the single moment the color guide market has come of age.

Bingo!

but there were a lot of pieces, especially in the next tier down, that I felt sold at very reasonable prices, some even very cheap.

An area I`m seeing a lot of price appreciation is in comic strip art. Granted in some cases it`s from a relatively low base, but quite a number of pieces are going for double what they were a few years ago.

Based on estimates from early Sotheby's catalogs a fair amount of strip art has remained stagnant and even fallen considerably.....they do seem now to have some new momentum. I think they are most likely seeing a bit of an upsurge due to IDW and other similar publishers making people aware and building a new fan base for the old strips, I don't know any collectors who are NOSTALGIC for Rube Goldberg.

To counter this, the Jeff Jones Swank piece went higher than I would have guessed. Granted, it's fairly unique, but using Idyl and I'm Age as comps, this went for about 80% more than similar pieces, and it's much raunchier.

So whats the consensus on the vellum avengers 118 going for 65k?

That vellum really didn't make a lick of difference in the final hammer price like some had surmised? I figured the restoration process would be a turnoff for most as opposed to the vellum (And does restoration for OA affect/alter the value of a piece like it does for comic books, i.e.: not as coveted?). Apparently not?

I think the main difference between buying comic art and buying comic books, even those "highest grades submitted" pedigree books is that with art it's truly one of a kind, not just rare or scarce, but unique and exclusive.

So, with that, OA collectors know "whether you like it (the artwork or the seller) or not, learn to deal with it, 'cuz you ain't gonna find another one anywhere else" - - so, if the seller is a major tool or the artwork has any flaws, if the art itself is important enough to a collector they know that's the only option to acquire the piece. Whereas with comic books, a buyer could wait for another seller, a better condition book or a lower price and reasonably expect that opportunity to come around.

The price/value is only impacted by the demand (not supply), and to some, "condition" is a major turn off, whether damaged or altered, signed autographs within the art, cropped/trimmed, mounted onto another board, vellum, stats, inks over blue line, etc.

I know an example is the latest "Thor" female 2014 title by Marvel. No original art exists, the artist did the work digitally and is only offering these 1 of 1 digital prints of the artwork, so to come collectors who really want the original artwork for that book, it's the only option, so would buy that,and I know he's sold them for what seems to be comparable prices as if they were pencil/ink renderings not print outs. To many, it's a deal breaker in that, a vast majority of collectors don't consider that original art and would pass.

So whats the consensus on the vellum avengers 118 going for 65k?

That vellum really didn't make a lick of difference in the final hammer price like some had surmised? I figured the restoration process would be a turnoff for most as opposed to the vellum (And does restoration for OA affect/alter the value of a piece like it does for comic books, i.e.: not as coveted?). Apparently not?

Generally speaking, I do agree that historical significance, artist, and image trump pretty much everything else and this one had all 3. Very key story, amazing image and Romita Sr.