• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction November 2014

315 posts in this topic

Also surprised that ASM 121 pre-lims go for less than ASM 121 color guides. Is color guide the new OA?

I doubt it. I think it had a few things going for it. 1) It's signed by Romita and 2) It's the death of gwen stacy panels.

Between the Watchmen page, the McFarlane page, and the Byrne X-Men page, it would appear that $30k is the new $10k

My impression was that prices were generally very strong this auction, with the notable exception of the headline piece, the ASM 300 cover.

Between the Watchmen page, the McFarlane page, and the Byrne X-Men page, it would appear that $30k is the new $10k

My impression was that prices were generally very strong this auction, with the notable exception of the headline piece, the ASM 300 cover.

I think the debates on this won't end, but 173K is a lot for a stat, even if portions of it were blackened by McF

Malvin

Awesome...just took an 81.5% loss on my Enric Vampirella painting. :tonofbricks:

At least it will provide for a nice 5-figure tax write-off. :doh:

Was one of several bad buys I made in my first couple of years of collecting. Even so, the price is crazy low...I thought it'd fetch double or triple what it did. :facepalm:

Looks like your perma-bear views on OA have been spot-on... for your own stuff. :baiting:

Kane Conan #12 cover = $20.912.50.

Heritage's estimate was a laughable $40K-up. This is what I mean when I said earlier that I've seen many estimates that are way high, sometimes even 100% or more.

Do they do comic OA estimates different than most auction houses typically do estimates? Usually estimates are laughably low ball, so that the auction house can trumpet how sales through them blew through the estimates.

Heritage`s estimates in their illustrated art auctions are generally conservative, at least on pieces that I`ve been interested in.

My estimates aren't showing right now, but If I remember correctly, the estimate was 6k, it barely broke 100.00 in early bidding. A nice early hero page, but......

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jon-smalle-master-comics-8-the-alliance-of-boss-garlow-bulletman-page-6-original-art-fawcett-1940-/a/7099-93989.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

Also surprised that ASM 121 pre-lims go for less than ASM 121 color guides. Is color guide the new OA?

I doubt it. I think it had a few things going for it. 1) It's signed by Romita and 2) It's the death of gwen stacy panels.

But the prelims were death of Gwen prelims, actual drawings by Gil Kane, the primary death of Gwen artist! How is that not worth more?

I was quite impressed with 7K for the Roth/Ayers X-men 25 page. Nice team action & all, but that price is in Kirby/Roth territory.

http://nostalgicinvestments.com/comic-art/x-men-issue-9-page-10

This looks cheap now as far as early x men go

I don't know...the Werner piece is a nice stand alone page. An average content page is a tough sell at 14k, even if it's by Kirby. I still think the Werner piece was a surprise at 7k, but I can understand why someone would want it.

But the prelims were death of Gwen prelims, actual drawings by Gil Kane, the primary death of Gwen artist! How is that not worth more?

The prelims were not of the scene of Gwen's death, the Color Guide was. The prelims are also not published, they are prelims of what the scenes will eventually be. The color guide is published. I'm not saying in all cases Color Guide should sell for more than prelims, but in this case (signed by mega artist who was the inker and cover artist of the issue and depicting one of the most important scenes in Spidey history) I'd take it over a prelim of a Spidey/Goblin fight.

I like prelims in general when they are somewhat detailed and pleasing to the eye. Romita Sr, John Buscema, Marie Severin are among those whose prelims show the artistic process and are also pleasing pieces of art in and of themselves. Kane's are great for showing the process but not always as pleasing to the eye

The prelims were not of the scene of Gwen's death, the Color Guide was. The prelims are also not published, they are prelims of what the scenes will eventually be. The color guide is published. I'm not saying in all cases Color Guide should sell for more than prelims, but in this case (signed by mega artist who was the inker and cover artist of the issue and depicting one of the most important scenes in Spidey history) I'd take it over a prelim of a Spidey/Goblin fight.

I take those points, but the first CG was the exact same Spidey-Goblin fight as the first prelim, and it went for $400 more. Also, and this may be too technical to matter, but the original art aspect of color guides, the color, was not really "published" in the bronze age and before. It was a guide, kind of like a prelim is a guide, for the printshop workers who made plates that roughly corresponded to the colorist's directions.

I like prelims in general when they are somewhat detailed and pleasing to the eye. Romita Sr, John Buscema, Marie Severin are among those whose prelims show the artistic process and are also pleasing pieces of art in and of themselves. Kane's are great for showing the process but not always as pleasing to the eye

Yep, I hear that. Personally, I still would value the prelims over the color guides. But then, I didn't bid on either so take it for what it's worth!

Regarding the color guides, if the guides were painted by a very talented artist like Dave Hunt or Marie Severin, and were produced for a memorable book, then I think the guides are quite special and valuable. In addition, colorists sometimes come up with color schemes that end up being memorable if not iconic, like Gwen Stacy's green raincoat (much more eye-catching than a tan raincoat).

I was quite impressed with 7K for the Roth/Ayers X-men 25 page. Nice team action & all, but that price is in Kirby/Roth territory.

I wanted that page, but thought I could get it for 2500. I was way off.

I stopped at $4k.