• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

Buckler was rude to me once.... but I did ask him how much Marvel paid .... so I probably had it coming. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I may have also mentioned I was a big Kirby fan too.....

I bought a nice copy of Hulk 200 from Greg Reece last year at Wizard World NYC and took it to Buckler's table (another artist who didn't have many people coming up to his booth throughout the day). I introduced myself and told him that I really appreciated his work/art. I asked for an autograph and also asked if he would mind if I had CGC witness the signing. He basically scolded me in a stern voice saying "Why? You know who I am. I know who I am. What does it matter if they witness the autograph?"

I tried to explain that most of my autographed books are graded and certified for just that purpose....they are certified....and what if my kids don't like all these comics I'm saving for them? Where is the proof that he actually signed the book?

He didn't care, he had made up his mind about me before I even had the chance to respond. At his request I didn't get the book graded or witnessed.

Buckler's reason for that is fear.

I asked if I could take a picture of the Deathlok sketch he did for me earlier this year at Indy, and he said I could take his picture, but not with the sketch.

I guess the puzzled look on my face (actually slow recognition, as I figured it out just before he told me), made him explain that, he didn't want to get in trouble with Marvel using any of their properties for his own profit.

When you started explaining about 'witnessing the autograph', the book being 'certified', the distracting story about your kids, he was probably thinking, "So this is how Marvel gets PROOF I'm making money off of them!", and just said 'No."

My one bad experience was 20 years ago at DragonCon meeting John Byrne, who at the time I was a huge fan of. He barked at me for not having my books out of the bags ready for him to sign.

He wasn't wrong. But for whatever reason, I just haven't been as big of a fan since.

Similar with athletes, after you meet them most of the time you walk away feeling very different about them. Most all the ones I have meet I lost some respect for them. I guess you can only sign so many autographs, shake so many hands and make some much small talk answering the same old questions before you tire of it. Some are great but most are arrogant jerks.

That is natural – in these situations we might have easily idealized the person, and so if we realize he has flaws, or behaves in a disappointing way, we feel disappointed.

I consider myself quite blessed, as the few artists I have met and interviewed because I cared a lot for their work, not only were up to the image I had of them, but they even exceeded it in some way. True, each one has his small faults, but that is totally different than "being a jerk"… lol

As far as american comics go, I did not have the opportunity to get truly acquainted with them, but witnessed the presence at italian conventions of John Romita Sr., John Buscema, Jim Steranko, Joe Orlando and others, and they all behaved very nicely and much agreeable with people asking for signatures.

I have a book signed with a dedication by Steranko (a friend of mine went to queue for me, as we had a booth selling comics) and a small sketch of Joe Orlando, to which we asked for fun to draw a Mickey Mouse. He was a bit puzzled and thought we were having fun of him and he made a strange "Bat-mouse"… lol

How about Stan Lee? I have never met him. After meeting him did you have a different opinion of him?

When he came to Italy in 1994 he was virtually unreachable, as he had a sort of "bodyguard ring" around him from the staff of the italian publisher. I had prepared questions to interview him, but interviewing him was out of the question… :P

I was annoyed by that, but it was their decision, not Stan's.

I would say a lot of celebrities (movie, tv) at the cons have issues. Adam West was an unpleasant surprise. He didn't behave rudely to me, but he was not very warm either and I have actually seen him put a fan to tears. I don't look at that tv show the same anymore. I almost prefer not to meet the celeb and just collect the autograph.

I haven't talked much with comic book artists much but they are generally worth giving your attention too. They are much nicer. Neal Adams is a pretty decent fellow.

There was a time when real Hollywood stars like Marlon Brando would sign for free. Even stars like Monroe and Harlowe would give secretarial autographs to their fans, but they at least cared.

If I was a celeb with a dwindling fan base I wouldn't be upsetting what little fans I had left.

Cassandra Peterson was a pleasure to meet at the cons. Very nice.

I have the utmost respect for artists who will sit for hours signing comics. I know, if it were me, I MIGHT put up with a couple hundred of you freaks and when the hand cramps set in, I'd get up and go home and if I could still make the gesture; give you all the finger on the way out of the door.

For artists, your talent is your hands and you're risking carpal tunnel syndrome to make your fans happy. I realize there is the argument that "Well, doing conventions and signings you're increasing your fan base and solidifying continued dedication from fans and so it behooves you monetarily to do it."

But, I still think it only takes one comic nerd with exceptionally poor hygiene asking for a photo ops or a single "can you sign my key issues quickly? I want to post them on ebay before 5pm; the golden hour of auctions." to really put someone in a hostile state of "WTH am I doing here?".

Even people who are sincerely fawning over you with almost psychotic enthusiasm and crazy eyes would put me on edge. You have to admit that some of you have actually thought "I've bought EVERY SINGLE COVER you ever illustrated, you should have dinner with me!". And then cop an attitude when they decline.

Now that I think about it, just reading your posts on here on the forum, makes me crabby.

Anyhow, I look at artists who are prolific signers like Mignola (I actually have bought Mignola signed comics for LESS than cover price because he signs so much!), and applaud them for their resolve to try and cater to their fan base and are able to deal with our scary, over-indulgent, pseudo-psychotic infatuation of them and STILL give us a signature with a smile.

-Terry

Edited by Firespitter

I had a run in with an artist last year at Heroes that I dont wish to name. I have heard that they have some substance abuse issues.

And had a bad experience with Fabian Nicieza back in like 93, that guys a 4 letter nick name for Richard. Granted that was a long time ago at about the height of his Marvel popularity maybe he's changed. (shrug)

Glad to hear McFarlane may have removed his tongue from his arse. I meet him at a little tiny show right before ASM #300 came out and he was so humble. did sketches for everybody sat and talked with people he barley had anyone at his table. Few years later after Spawn launched total FDQ.

Was this Mark D's show in Ktown?

I was there !

My one bad experience was 20 years ago at DragonCon meeting John Byrne, who at the time I was a huge fan of. He barked at me for not having my books out of the bags ready for him to sign.

He wasn't wrong. But for whatever reason, I just haven't been as big of a fan since.

I walked up to Byrne's table at a convention just as he looked at his watch and told two fans to go away because there was still 5 minutes left before he started signing books. There was no body at his table and I thought he was rather rude about it, so I kept going. Which was sad, because up until that moment I was a huge fan and had bought every Xmen and FF he had worked on - haven't been much of a fan since.

For now, I'll describe the creator as a 'well-known comic book writer / artist'.

First London convention, he was all alone at his table in artists' alley, so I went up to ask him to sign one of my books.

Chatted away for about a minute, then he says he has to go to a signing booth at the opposite side of the exhibition hall. I say I'd rather come back and see him the following day, explaining that I'm very bad with crowds because of Asperger's Syndrome, very stressed, very burned out towards the end of the show, and so it would be better if I leave it for tomorrow.

He then waffles on about one of his relatives having neurofibromatosis, which is absolutely nothing to do with autism, how he takes things like this very seriously, and insists I walk with him the whole length of the hall. We reach the signing area and then, pointing his finger, he aggressively demands...

'Get to the back of the queue!'

I just turn and walk away, appalled.

No 'clever' counterarguments here, please. If I explain that I have a disability which makes it extremely difficult to handle close proximity with large crowds, then I don't expect to be herded into position like this and ordered to do something which I have clearly stated I don't even want in the first place. Not only is this manipulative and abusive, it's also completely illegal under disability discrimination law, America and Europe.

Always devastating when you discover that someone whose work you've followed for decades is such a pitiful excuse for a human being.

I"m sure he is well versed in disability law. Why even mention it? Just tell the guy you will check with him later. My son has autism and he goes out of his way not to bring attention to himself nor does he use it as a reason to get stuff that others would not.

Huh? Why did you feel this to be "manipulative and abusive"? It’s rude, and more than understandable, but there is also to say that he probably did not realize at all the discomfort brought to you by crowds et al.

I can’t stand crowds either, mostly depending on how much confusion and noise there is, however, but I would not define his perentory and rude comment as "abusive", just bad. :shrug:

I"m sure he is well versed in disability law. Why even mention it? Just tell the guy you will check with him later. My son has autism and he goes out of his way not to bring attention to himself nor does he use it as a reason to get stuff that others would not.

Mentioning it maybe because by that stage I was getting extremely stressed out?

Except that I made it clear at a certain point that I wasn't interested in his 'stuff', rather I wanted to leave it for another day. And, why would a comic artist be an expert on the subject of disability law? Nonsense.

Huh? Why did you feel this to be "manipulative and abusive"? It’s rude, and more than understandable, but there is also to say that he probably did not realize at all the discomfort brought to you by crowds et al.

I can’t stand crowds either, mostly depending on how much confusion and noise there is, however, but I would not define his perentory and rude comment as "abusive", just bad. :shrug:

No, it's not the comment, it's more about being herded into position.

He explained to the guy clearly the problem he had with crowds.

ALL FANS ARE JERKS.

Rule of thumb. No debate about it. I have only met two people who have felt otherwise and they are both delusional.

The only difference between fans and pros is that the pros can write or draw. They are jerks too. Don't expect anything different.

I have met Barry Smith only once and he was showing good behaviour. Really, though, until now, I have never heard anything bad about him.

All joking aside, there was once a thread here about the strangest men in the history of comics, which isn't necessarily the same as being a jerk, but it is a good approximation. A few of the nominees were Ditko, T.Casey Brennan and Mike Netzer.

For sheer quantity of anecdotes, James Warren might be the all time winner.