• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

Huh? Why did you feel this to be "manipulative and abusive"? It’s rude, and more than understandable, but there is also to say that he probably did not realize at all the discomfort brought to you by crowds et al.

I can’t stand crowds either, mostly depending on how much confusion and noise there is, however, but I would not define his perentory and rude comment as "abusive", just bad. :shrug:

No, it's not the comment, it's more about being herded into position.

That’s what is weird, as you say he said it perentorily and in an aggressive way. He has problems, not you, so don’t be angry at him! lol

Has Sadfan been discussed in detail, yet?

It doesn't need to be discussed.

All events are either pre-Sadfan or post-Sadfan.

Sadfan is now woven in the fabric and the structure upon which our reality is based.

It is ever-present.

I met Todd McFarlane at a con in his mid to late ASM days and he just oozed egomaniacal d-bag. So much so, I didn't even stay in line for book signage. He may have just been having a bad day, but I haven't been a fan since.

Mike Grell mangled my three Longbow Hunters books when he signed them, but he was a nice guy .. I have heard differently.

Stan Lee and Jim Shooter were both cordial and funny when I met them .. also, have heard differently.

Claremont and Byrne were very businesslike, no chit chat or personals. It could have been they were rather a big deal at the time and had huge lines though. I never held it against them lol

Sadfan is now woven in the fabric and the structure upon which our reality is based.

It is ever-present.

I prefer BS or AS.

It's less confusing than PS or PS.

What about "patience is a virue [sic]" courtesy of Michael Golden?

That one was pretty bad.

Wasn't that also a fairly expensive commission?

Steranko seems like a stand up guy and one of the artists I'd like to meet besides John romita sr. I've only met one artist and I've only been to two comic cons but mike zeck was a stand up guy. Very nice and helpful ill never forget that as well. One of the coolest artists out there I'm sure.

I saw Steranko at SDCC in 2006 at the Vanguard booth. They had an end booth as I recall, and it extended into the first booth on either side, so it was a big space. Steranko stood in the middle of it and pretty much didn't make contact unless an item was purchased. I took him to be stand-offish, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

My first Tony Moore meting wasn't stellar, he just didn't seem interested in being there. I met him again this year in KC and we struck up a conversation about Fear Agent, going on about the EC comics that inspired it. Complete 180 from the first time.

Meeting Jim Lee was a downer, but again, by all accounts, I just walked up at a bad moment. He never looked up, just scribbled his name and kept going. His handlers are the only ones that spoke, and all they had to say was "hurry up."

It is ever-present.

My favorite part of the whole thing was how how big of a and a dirtbag I was (on Bleeding Cool) for not going to Seattle and getting my own autographs.

Man, if they knew how many shows I had books at that I did not attend, they probably would replace Godwin's Law with Sadfan's Law.

Oh, Aragonés was really nice and really fun. I asked for a drawing of the Smokehouse 5 guys and he did this in about two minutes…

img599.jpg

I was blown away! I asked if he had just thought it up and he said, "you mean an original gag?" and I told him yes, he grinned and said, "no, original gags are much more expensive."

Steranko seems like a stand up guy and one of the artists I'd like to meet besides John romita sr. I've only met one artist and I've only been to two comic cons but mike zeck was a stand up guy. Very nice and helpful ill never forget that as well. One of the coolest artists out there I'm sure.

I saw Steranko at SDCC in 2006 at the Vanguard booth. They had an end booth as I recall, and it extended into the first booth on either side, so it was a big space. Steranko stood in the middle of it and pretty much didn't make contact unless an item was purchased. I took him to be stand-offish, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

My first Tony Moore meting wasn't stellar, he just didn't seem interested in being there. I met him again this year in KC and we struck up a conversation about Fear Agent, going on about the EC comics that inspired it. Complete 180 from the first time.

Meeting Jim Lee was a downer, but again, by all accounts, I just walked up at a bad moment. He never looked up, just scribbled his name and kept going. His handlers are the only ones that spoke, and all they had to say was "hurry up."

I don't get that about the assistants at the show. If you spend all that time lining up to give your money, they can wait a few moments while you prepare exchange when you get there. I don't risk my cash being exposed or comics/art being damaged while I am in line. If they don't like how I am giving away my money at the front of the line, too bad for them, not too bad for me.

Chris Claremount seemed a bit bitter the whole time he was here. He signed everything and didn't turn anyone away or anything but dude seemed ticked. Some eye rolls and blank expressions kind of thing.

It is ever-present.

My favorite part of the whole thing was how how big of a and a dirtbag I was (on Bleeding Cool) for not going to Seattle and getting my own autographs.

Man, if they knew how many shows I had books at that I did not attend, they probably would replace Godwin's Law with Sadfan's Law.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I am sure you are a and a dirtbag for several other reasons.

I had a run in with an artist last year at Heroes that I dont wish to name. I have heard that they have some substance abuse issues.

And had a bad experience with Fabian Nicieza back in like 93, that guys a 4 letter nick name for Richard. Granted that was a long time ago at about the height of his Marvel popularity maybe he's changed. (shrug)

Glad to hear McFarlane may have removed his tongue from his arse. I meet him at a little tiny show right before ASM #300 came out and he was so humble. did sketches for everybody sat and talked with people he barley had anyone at his table. Few years later after Spawn launched total FDQ.

Was this Mark D's show in Ktown?

I was there !

It was a Ktown show yeah, no idea who the promoter was, I would have still been in high school at the time. :) It was a little hotel's little conference room and McFarlane had a table out front of the main con room. He was doing sketches on backing boards and had some xerox copy "prints" he was selling.

Neil Adams had a booth beside his son at the Ottawa comicon a few summers ago...he was by himself most of the day,most folks I spoke with said they did not go up and approach him as they had heard he was nasty and had a reputation of being abrasive. I went up to say hi and chatted for quite a while with him and his son and they did a little, not signed, doodle for me.Claremont was fairly rude when I met him 25 years ago though...Wow,nice to meet you I love...Okay kid,move along...

I don't know, I met Neal Adams both times here in Ottawa and he was super nice and cordial each time.

The first time I got a DD sketch from him:

NealAdams.jpg

The second time, I got a DD print (the cover he did for issue #1 of Paolo Rivera's run). I told him I got a sketch from him last year and he even joked "I must have taken all your money" (knowing he's a pricey fella).

We chatted a bit, took a picture, shook hands, the whole deal. Totally pleasant experience both times.

Neil Adams had a booth beside his son at the Ottawa comicon a few summers ago...he was by himself most of the day,most folks I spoke with said they did not go up and approach him as they had heard he was nasty and had a reputation of being abrasive. I went up to say hi and chatted for quite a while with him and his son and they did a little, not signed, doodle for me.Claremont was fairly rude when I met him 25 years ago though...Wow,nice to meet you I love…Okay kid,move along...

In my first meeting with Neal Adams, I took him as being really abrasive. Looking back later, I thought to myself, "that's not abrasive, that's a New Yorker." I dealt with people from all over when I worked in air freight, and the northeast was generally more abrasive than most from the point of view of a southerner. I'm sure they see us as slow talking dimwits.

lol

Anyway, I took that attitude the next time and we had a great conversation. He didn't change, I just knew what to expect.

Oh, Aragonés was really nice and really fun. I asked for a drawing of the Smokehouse 5 guys and he did this in about two minutes…

img599.jpg

I was blown away! I asked if he had just thought it up and he said, "you mean an original gag?" and I told him yes, he grinned and said, "no, original gags are much more expensive."

One of the most accomplished, respectful, and nicest guys you'll ever meet in the business.

(thumbs u

How about Stan Lee? I have never met him. After meeting him did you have a different opinion of him?

Stan is a vampire. It sounds like I am being mean but I assure you, I mean it as a compliment. He feeds off the energy of the crowds that he meets. The more enthusiastic they get, the more enthusiastic he gets. It is amazing to see.