• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

If you think about it, ten years ago would've been 1994. At the height of the 'Rob Liefeld look-a-like art'.

You're getting old. :gossip:

1994 would have been twenty years ago! :preach:

lol Man it goes by fast!

That`s something I notice about time in comic books in that between 1938 to 1968 was thirty years and it seems historic old, while between 1984 to 2014 is thirty years, but the 1984 to 2014 thirty year period didn`t seem thirty years.

Anybody feel the same way?

For example the Golden Age Flash was cancelled in 1951,but there was much importance made that just 5 years later in 1956 that a new Flash came on the scène, now compare 2009 to 2014. 5 years later, but no one makes a big thing out of something not being around for 5 years, and coming back calling it a new era.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

ALL FANS ARE JERKS.

Rule of thumb. No debate about it. I have only met two people who have felt otherwise and they are both delusional.

The only difference between fans and pros is that the pros can write or draw. They are jerks too. Don't expect anything different.

I have met Barry Smith only once and he was showing good behaviour. Really, though, until now, I have never heard anything bad about him.

All joking aside, there was once a thread here about the strangest men in the history of comics, which isn't necessarily the same as being a jerk, but it is a good approximation. A few of the nominees were Ditko, T.Casey Brennan and Mike Netzer.

For sheer quantity of anecdotes, James Warren might be the all time winner.

Mike Netzer??? Holly!!!

I met Michael when I was 15 and he basically took me under his wing after I showed him my portfolio.. Couldnt meet a nicer guy. Period!

I guess it just goes to show you, EVERYONE has a different experience, and I can see how the pros can get a little agitated at times being that they are doing this around the clock, while we the fans just do it on occasion.

nothing worse than waiting patiently in line to get books signed and the guy in front of you has a portfolio that sucks beyond belief, but believes he is the second coming.

randy green was very nice even after a made a mistake asking him a question.....not sure why but randy queen was in my head when i saw the name and asked green if he had any darkchylde OA with him, he just told me "sorry i didn't bring any with me" he didn't correct me or throw a fit i made that big of a mistake (lol as i'm remembering this he had a slightly shocked face when i asked)

later while setting up my nei ruffino sketch i was bs'ing with her about that and she corrected me on my mistake.........when i picked up my sketch from green i aplogised for my mistake

bonus green and nei's were both the best sketches i got at that show

randy green was very nice even after a made a mistake asking him a question.....not sure why but randy queen was in my head when i saw the name and asked green if he had any darkchylde OA with him, he just told me "sorry i didn't bring any with me" he didn't correct me or throw a fit i made that big of a mistake (lol as i'm remembering this he had a slightly shocked face when i asked)

later while setting up my nei ruffino sketch i was bs'ing with her about that and she corrected me on my mistake.........when i picked up my sketch from green i aplogised for my mistake

bonus green and nei's were both the best sketches i got at that show

I got them confused in the early days also and asked for darkchylde art myself at a heroes show. He was polite about it.

True story.. First time I met Jim Starlin I handed him my Batman 426 to sign and he wouldnt touch it because it had a Mike Mignola autograph which was signed with a silver sharpie. Apparently Jim's allergic to silver sharpies. Im not making this up.

If you want Jim to sign a book for you DO NOT have him do it with a silver sharpie

True story.. First time I met Jim Starlin I handed him my Batman 426 to sign and he wouldnt touch it because it had a Mike Mignola autograph which was signed with a silver sharpie. Apparently Jim's allergic to silver sharpies. Im not making this up.

If you want Jim to sign a book for you DO NOT have him do it with a silver sharpie

Allergic to Silver? hm

Another clue that Jim may, in fact, be a werewolf.

Marv Wolfman told me he would sign ten books for me then I would have to go back to the end of the line... problem was, there was no line. So he made me wait a few minutes before signing the next batch. (shrug) It was more absurd than offensive.

That's hilarious. lol

That's sound like a Monty Python skit lol

lol It was awkward silence for a good three minutes before the realization set in that no one else was coming to his table. He then turned on the switch and started flipping through some of my books, jovially talked about Nightwing, signed the rest of my stash, we shook hands and I was off.

Missed you at Steel City again, Blowie.

That show is a total hit-or-miss for me. Decided to skip it.

Allergic to Silver? hm

byrne same way

Allergic to Silver? hm

byrne same way

I think its been public knowledge for many years that Byrne is a werewolf.

I met Stan Lee around 1990 and he was pretty nice. He really enjoyed the Marvel Universe 1 hologram I got him to sign. I also me Boris Valejo twice, Julie Bell once, and sitting behind Julie was her sister who lived in the Seattle area at the time. One of the cards I had for Boris sing was of Julie's sister as she posed for it. She wasn't there for the show, just to be there for her sister and I asked if the card and she said yes. I asked if she would sign it for me and she did. Very nice people.

My one bad experience was 20 years ago at DragonCon meeting John Byrne, who at the time I was a huge fan of. He barked at me for not having my books out of the bags ready for him to sign.

He wasn't wrong. But for whatever reason, I just haven't been as big of a fan since.

You're probably the reason why he ended up putting a sign on his table asking people to have the books out of the bags and ready to sign when it's their turn lol

I've had the good fortune to meet many creators and have hosted a few at shows. The nicest guys I have encountered would be; Dan Slott, Chad Hardin and Jonathan Ross. The only unpleasant one I can think of is Alan Davis who seems to be permanently grumpy and monosyllabic.

Just treat these guys like soup nazi-any delays getting books out, chit-chat etc and NO SOUP

Just treat these guys like soup nazi-any delays getting books out, chit-chat etc and NO SOUP

Silver sharpie??

You come back - ONE WEEK!

But he had a silv-

ONE YEAR!!!

One last thing.. Generally speaking- Fans are the reason why creators charge money for autographs. I've been to many signings where they were free and it never fails to amaze me how "fans" will come with 20-30 comics, ask for sketches, pictures and would not even tip the creators for their generosity nor buy any books offered at the venue. I can see how a creator that's getting into the biz will be very enthusiastic about doing signing and then slowly but surely get less and less motivated to do them for free. I always pay for my signing, it's not necessarily much, but it makes me feel better. So should you.

Rant over

ALL FANS ARE JERKS.

Rule of thumb. No debate about it. I have only met two people who have felt otherwise and they are both delusional.

The only difference between fans and pros is that the pros can write or draw. They are jerks too. Don't expect anything different.

I have met Barry Smith only once and he was showing good behaviour. Really, though, until now, I have never heard anything bad about him.

All joking aside, there was once a thread here about the strangest men in the history of comics, which isn't necessarily the same as being a jerk, but it is a good approximation. A few of the nominees were Ditko, T.Casey Brennan and Mike Netzer.

For sheer quantity of anecdotes, James Warren might be the all time winner.

People of all walks are jerks, and honestly I think it's unfair to single out specific creators as there are just as many jerk off fans. They just aren't famous so nobody cares if they're jerks. Normal dudes don't get their bad days broadcast on the web.

As a general rule, if you're respectful and humble 9 times out of 10 the person you're dealing with won't be a jerk. For that odd 1 out of 10, oh well. There will always be a bad apple in the bunch.

Silly thread. lol