• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

I think the reverse-he was good at 23 terrible after 27....

Are you serious?

Go out and buy The Studio. Go out and buy the Weapon X trade. Go out and buy Rune or Archer and Armstrong or his black-and-white Conan comics.

Ugh-I prefer his work on Conan

Rune the faces were stretched out about 10 feet and he lost that energy he had....

It's like he was trying for the Image style-not good.

So you haven't seen ANY of his fine art work done in the last 25 years then?

No that stuff is ok though I prefer his BA comic work

It's just his post BA comic work that makes me puke-Rune Weapon X et al

Weapon X, to me, is the perfect melding of his fine art sensibilities and his comic art sequential story telling. If you ever have a chance to see it in its original art form the detail is hypnotic. Not that you have to like everything, of course.

windsorwolv_zpsd7d75894.jpg

That is pretty good

Thanks,

That's kind of a bad scan. The time he invested in the details really comes to light when you hold it in your hands and can really see it.

He's one of the most important comic artists in the history of the medium.

I've never heard of the guy.

You've never heard of Barry Windsor Smith? Or are you being a weinenheimer (as my PA Dutch side of my family would say)?

Oh, I thought we were talking about someone else. Yeah, I've heard of BWS :blush:

But I have to say that although I thought the art in Weapon X was good, the layouts were absolute garbage. His Weapon X layouts are actually what I used as a prime example of what I hate about mainstream comics in the criticizing artists thread the other day. There is no need for layouts to be this complicated

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSv8sde3ls9v1lwmCKWD0UzCxxLz1aMzUEqJKz4Xrm--01ZTtp

Also, although I think he's good at drawing, what makes him the most important artist in the history of the medium? That's quite a stretch lol

Mark Ryden has done comic work. Femke Heimstra. Camilla D'errico. Frank Frazetta.

I wouldn't say BWS is more "important" to comics as a medium than Robert Crumb, Art Spiegelman, any number of creators who pioneered a new genre, brought comics into a new light, started a widespread artistic movement within the medium, done anything to impact the medium in any significant way outside their own stuff.

They said he is one of the most important, not the most important.

The very first BWS art I was exposed to was when he was drawing for Valiant. Considering what everyone else was doing in the early 90's I immediately recognized how different this "new" guy was and that his stuff was really cool in its own way.

aaew1.jpg

I like his Conan work. I prefer SSOC, but Conan as a whole was handled very well by Marvel back then. One of the best long running licensed comics IMO.

I like his art in Weapon X too. I think he drew the best Wolverine, just those layouts man. I actually said it would have been a masterpiece of mainstream superhero comics if not for those layouts.

[font:Book Antiqua]

As much as I love BWS in comic books

(Like this Archer & Armstrong)

His best work its outside the comic medium...

I will say Artemis and Apollo is one of the best piece of art from him if not the best...

[/font]

2c

BWS921_zps80b67ad4.jpg

de733b372d5270264c567976c9ef61aa_zpsb8cc9856.jpg

I love how he popped up randomly in Marvel SA and BA books-Daredevil, Tower of Shadows, Avengers, eX Men, Dr Strange-really special issues IMO

Greg Capullo. Right from the start he didn't seem to like me for some reason. He was really nice to the guys in front of me, and then when I got to him he was so nasty and mean.

I did something stupid at another show after that, which made him hate me even more, but that part's my fault.

I can see that about Steranko-he must have been approached over the years with hundreds of strange requests and attempts to make money off him...

I can see that about Steranko-he must have been approached over the years with hundreds of strange requests and attempts to make money off him...

He always seemed like a guy that thrived on the attention to me, but even so... I think it would be odd.

Steranko seems like a stand up guy and one of the artists I'd like to meet besides John romita sr. I've only met one artist and I've only been to two comic cons but mike zeck was a stand up guy. Very nice and helpful ill never forget that as well. One of the coolest artists out there I'm sure.

I'm a big fan of BWS work but man he was an hole. Met him at a Toronto convention over ten years ago and I was with a buddy who showed him his portfolio. He looked at his watch and said ' I've got a minute', quickly flipped through his portfolio and told him there was nothing special in here and that it would be a good idea for him look into another profession. Both our jaws just dropped.

Edited by Comic_Zone

I would say that Smith is one of the fifty most important artists in American comics history (he's British, obviously, but he's done nearly all if not all of his comic work with American publishers).