• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

How about Stan Lee? I have never met him. After meeting him did you have a different opinion of him?

Stan is a vampire. It sounds like I am being mean but I assure you, I mean it as a compliment. He feeds off the energy of the crowds that he meets. The more enthusiastic they get, the more enthusiastic he gets. It is amazing to see.

.....I'm so glad I got to meet him...... and he smiled at me like I was the first person who ever noticed him..... genuine. The ASM 6 with his moniker on the splash will be the last to go..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Of the creators I've met, these were:

... exceptionally pleasant: Sergio Aregones, George Perez, Joe Kubert, J.G. Jones, James Robinson, Mike Deodato Jr., Yanick Paquette, Mark Waid, Walt Simonson, Gail Simone.

... real f*ktwits: Frank Cho, Tony Harris.

With the exception of the two above, I don't have problems with any creators.

I've been yelled at by Giordano for my choice of sharpie and Carmine Infantino got really crusty when I asked him to sign a book that he said wasn't his (which it was) - but they were the elders of the comic world so it was nothing but good.

Marv Wolfman told me he would sign ten books for me then I would have to go back to the end of the line... problem was, there was no line. So he made me wait a few minutes before signing the next batch. (shrug) It was more absurd than offensive.

How about Stan Lee? I have never met him. After meeting him did you have a different opinion of him?

Stan is a vampire. It sounds like I am being mean but I assure you, I mean it as a compliment. He feeds off the energy of the crowds that he meets. The more enthusiastic they get, the more enthusiastic he gets. It is amazing to see.

.....I'm so glad I got to meet him...... and he smiled at me like I was the first person who ever noticed him..... genuine. The ASM 6 with his moniker on the splash will be the last to go..... GOD BLESS...

Jimbo! I dropped by the Comic Cubicle a few months ago and was asking about you!

Marv Wolfman told me he would sign ten books for me then I would have to go back to the end of the line... problem was, there was no line. So he made me wait a few minutes before signing the next batch. (shrug) It was more absurd than offensive.

That's hilarious. lol

Oh artists HATE that question-it's virtually impossible to find an answer to that by googling or anything

I have 2 marvel artist friends and no idea what they make

I've been able to find out how much some artists got paid for stuff, but it was all for jobs/projects at least 10 years ago.

I found out how much Travis Charest got paid for his first DC cover (incredibly low IMO), and Steve Englehart told me how much some other artists were making in the 70's. Please note that both had 'red faces' at the time.

Mainly have had good to great experiences with comic folk with the exception of a few.

From a supremely nice perspective, I have found George Perez, Lee Weeks, and JonBoy Myers to be amongst the nicest people that I have ever met.

From a jerkish perspective:

- Angel Medina: had a 5-10 minute conversation with another exhibitor while I waited foolishly to have him sign 2 lousy Adam Warlock books.

- Rob Liefeld. Claimed of forgetting that I had paid for a commission and then ignored my emails, eventually banning me from his message boards after i inquired about it.

Jimbo! I dropped by the Comic Cubicle a few months ago and was asking about you!

:headbang:

That's hilarious. lol

That's sound like a Monty Python skit lol

Actually met Aragones at a book convention once. He was really nice. He had a sort of warmth to him as well. I don't usually get nervous around people, but this guy, I was shaking, when I talked...

He even got up from his chair to shake my hand, which was, to me, incredible.

I loved this guys work since I was like 8 or something.

I didn't even get to meet George Perez at NYCC (I was doing the sketch raffle) and I saw that he was just really nice with everyone. That guy's reptuation is definitely earned. He's just super cool.

That's amazing. lol

I didn't even get to meet George Perez at NYCC (I was doing the sketch raffle) and I saw that he was just really nice with everyone. That guy's reptuation is definitely earned. He's just super cool.

Met him. Got his $40 quickie sketch.

Awesome dude. Took a pic with him.

He was wearing an M&M shirt lol. :grin:

His wife makes all his shirts for him. They are pretty great.

That's hilarious. lol

That's sound like a Monty Python skit lol

lol It was awkward silence for a good three minutes before the realization set in that no one else was coming to his table. He then turned on the switch and started flipping through some of my books, jovially talked about Nightwing, signed the rest of my stash, we shook hands and I was off.

Missed you at Steel City again, Blowie.

His wife makes all his shirts for him. They are pretty great.

Oh ya!

Here it is in all it's glory:

perez_zps8ebe4d9d.jpg

What gets tiring is seeing hundreds of portfolios without a single one being even close to the level needed....
I'm sure it is. If I couldn't be courteous while letting fans down I'd at least be courteous when I made an excuse to not even look.

Yep

I've found it's best to not say much at all-if you say for instance the backgrounds need work or the anatomy what you'll get is an artist arguing about why you're wrong and it's perfect.

At that point it's okay to drop the courtesy.

I heard a story during an interview on the Fatman on Batman podcast a while back...

A young creator took his portfolio to Marvel to try to get some work. After showing it around to sugar-coated but unenthusiastic responses, he shows it to Larry Hama, an editor at the time. Mr Hama proceeds to disassemble the guy, blowing him up for glaring stylistic errors. The artist flips out, argument ensues, artist gets thrown out of the building. Time goes by, artist realizes his work was kid stuff, and sets out to rectify the problems Mr Hama identified. Comes back to Marvel, gets a job, and is one of the more in-demand artists today: Greg Capullo. He's frequently mentioned how grateful he is for the honest, constructive criticism of his work he got from Mr Hama. There are a couple of other corroborating stories online.

Personally, I've only met a few creators but so far they've all been great. I only go see creators I like and can actually discuss their work; they seem to like that. I also usually buy some of their prints or whatever, and get those inscribed. They seem to like that, too. I've had decent conversations with Ben Templesmith, Richard Case, and Don Rosa while the lines were short, and Ben Dunn (via email) and they were all top-notch.