• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

Boy would I be bummed if I met Stan Sakai and Sergio Aragones and they both turned out to be tools in real life lol

Aragones is incredibly nice and humble

I'm a big fan of BWS work but man he was an hole. Met him at a Toronto convention over ten years ago and I was with a buddy who showed him his portfolio. He looked at his watch and said ' I've got a minute', quickly flipped through his portfolio and told him there was nothing special in here and that it would be a good idea for him look into another profession. Both our jaws just dropped.

Even if true there's better ways to say that.

I hope I meet that dude one day cause I got a lot of zingers prepared for him

Boy would I be bummed if I met Stan Sakai and Sergio Aragones and they both turned out to be tools in real life lol

Aragones is incredibly nice and humble

Yeah, he seems like the nicest guy in comics, that's why I'd be so shocked and disappointed to find out otherwise. I love his work, especially his autobiographical work, partially because I think he's such an incredibly nice guy. I can imagine the disappointment some people have felt thinking the same thing about an entertainer and having that dream shattered when they meet.

I had a run in with an artist last year at Heroes that I dont wish to name. I have heard that they have some substance abuse issues.

And had a bad experience with Fabian Nicieza back in like 93, that guys a 4 letter nick name for Richard. Granted that was a long time ago at about the height of his Marvel popularity maybe he's changed. (shrug)

Glad to hear McFarlane may have removed his tongue from his arse. I meet him at a little tiny show right before ASM #300 came out and he was so humble. did sketches for everybody sat and talked with people he barley had anyone at his table. Few years later after Spawn launched total FDQ.

I met John Romita Sr as a kid and he was nothing but kind and generous with his time as I remember him.
I've met Kris Silver on multiple occasions as a kid. He always had time to carry on a conversation with me. Must have been slow days at the LCS lol

I had a run in with an artist last year at Heroes that I dont wish to name. I have heard that they have some substance abuse issues.

And had a bad experience with Fabian Nicieza back in like 93, that guys a 4 letter nick name for Richard. Granted that was a long time ago at about the height of his Marvel popularity maybe he's changed. (shrug)

Glad to hear McFarlane may have removed his tongue from his arse. I meet him at a little tiny show right before ASM #300 came out and he was so humble. did sketches for everybody sat and talked with people he barley had anyone at his table. Few years later after Spawn launched total FDQ.

I drove by McFarlane's house once-he had a huge Spawn SUV

Steranko seems like a stand up guy and one of the artists I'd like to meet besides John romita sr. I've only met one artist and I've only been to two comic cons but mike zeck was a stand up guy. Very nice and helpful ill never forget that as well. One of the coolest artists out there I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to meet him and he was very pleasant. Chit chatted for a bit with me and my wife. Just don't take his picture.

I'm a big fan of BWS work but man he was an hole. Met him at a Toronto convention over ten years ago and I was with a buddy who showed him his portfolio. He looked at his watch and said ' I've got a minute', quickly flipped through his portfolio and told him there was nothing special in here and that it would be a good idea for him look into another profession. Both our jaws just dropped.

[font:Book Antiqua]Of course your friend show his art to more people

who greatly disagree with Smith...

He stay on course, and today he is a successfully artist working with the 2 big names in the business.

[/font]

:eyeroll:

Edited by MagnusX

[font:Book Antiqua]Of course your friend show his art to more people

who greatly disagree with Smith...

He stay on course, and today he is a successfully artist working with the 2 big names in the business.

[/font]

:eyeroll:

I can imagine a guy getting tired of people shoving portfolios in their face, but if you're sick of it then tell them you don't have the time. If you look at it and want to give an honest opinion, it would be nice to say "I gotta tell you, you need work. Keep at it. Take a class if you can."

What gets tiring is seeing hundreds of portfolios without a single one being even close to the level needed....

What gets tiring is seeing hundreds of portfolios without a single one being even close to the level needed....
I'm sure it is. If I couldn't be courteous while letting fans down I'd at least be courteous when I made an excuse to not even look.

Steranko seems like a stand up guy and one of the artists I'd like to meet besides John romita sr. I've only met one artist and I've only been to two comic cons but mike zeck was a stand up guy. Very nice and helpful ill never forget that as well. One of the coolest artists out there I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to meet him and he was very pleasant. Chit chatted for a bit with me and my wife. Just don't take his picture.

Which artist?

I'm sure it is. If I couldn't be courteous while letting fans down I'd at least be courteous when I made an excuse to not even look.

Yep

I've found it's best to not say much at all-if you say for instance the backgrounds need work or the anatomy what you'll get is an artist arguing about why you're wrong and it's perfect.

I can see that about Steranko-he must have been approached over the years with hundreds of strange requests and attempts to make money off him...

He always seemed like a guy that thrived on the attention to me, but even so... I think it would be odd.

Steranko definitely is the kind of person who has his good and bad days. When I met him at NYCC, he was super nice and I was even able to get a sketch from him for a very reasonable price, but I met him a few months later and he wasn't nice at all, but that was because he was shorted a table by the show promoter.

Edited by lemonman5

I'd also look at it another way... the world doesn't have very many brutally honest people in it. Maybe some people need that sort of truth. Chances are, most of the stuff he looks at is pretty terrible. Hell, I would still say most of the art published currently is really not very good, so I can only imagine what the unpublished portfolios look like.

Neal Adams.

I thought it would be a good idea to get a remark from him......

30 minutes later after he had a quarrel with his (wife?) and chatted with a bunch of other people (never once speaking to me) all the while I waited with my hands in my pockets he finally finished.

When he asked if I wanted an inscription and said no, because I wanted to make a jam piece out of it. The face he made was less than enthused.

Never again.

Yep

I've found it's best to not say much at all-if you say for instance the backgrounds need work or the anatomy what you'll get is an artist arguing about why you're wrong and it's perfect.

At that point it's okay to drop the courtesy.