• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

What gets tiring is seeing hundreds of portfolios without a single one being even close to the level needed....

I'd also look at it another way... the world doesn't have very many brutally honest people in it. Maybe some people need that sort of truth. Chances are, most of the stuff he looks at is pretty terrible. Hell, I would still say most of the art published currently is really not very good, so I can only imagine what the unpublished portfolios look like.

It's bad. And it all looks the same....same ripoff X Men style over and over....

I'm a big fan of BWS work but man he was an hole. Met him at a Toronto convention over ten years ago and I was with a buddy who showed him his portfolio. He looked at his watch and said ' I've got a minute', quickly flipped through his portfolio and told him there was nothing special in here and that it would be a good idea for him look into another profession. Both our jaws just dropped.

[font:Book Antiqua]Of course your friend show his art to more people

who greatly disagree with Smith...

He stay on course, and today he is a successfully artist working with the 2 big names in the business.

[/font]

:eyeroll:

I can imagine a guy getting tired of people shoving portfolios in their face, but if you're sick of it then tell them you don't have the time. If you look at it and want to give an honest opinion, it would be nice to say "I gotta tell you, you need work. Keep at it. Take a class if you can."

That would definitely be the right approach. Both my friend and I are working for the big 2 in animation field now. And we both view other artists portfolios often and we always give constructive criticism due to our nightmarish experience with BWS.

Jeffrey Brown is super nice-I brought all his books to a con-like 15 books and he wrote an inscription and drew a picture in every one.

I'm a big fan of BWS work but man he was an hole. Met him at a Toronto convention over ten years ago and I was with a buddy who showed him his portfolio. He looked at his watch and said ' I've got a minute', quickly flipped through his portfolio and told him there was nothing special in here and that it would be a good idea for him look into another profession. Both our jaws just dropped.

He stay on course, and today he is a successfully artist working with the 2 big names in the business.

[/font]

I can imagine a guy getting tired of people shoving portfolios in their face, but if you're sick of it then tell them you don't have the time. If you look at it and want to give an honest opinion, it would be nice to say "I gotta tell you, you need work. Keep at it. Take a class if you can."

That would definitely be the right approach. Both my friend and I are working for the big 2 in animation field now. And we both view other artists portfolios often and we always give constructive criticism due to our nightmarish experience with BWS.

Hope your friend gets to see him again and say good thing I didn't take your bitter advice dude, cause I'm doing great. And I don't draw super stretched out faces like you, either. lol

[/font]

[font:Book Antiqua]Good... Doing exactly what?

[/font]

My uncle and his friends have a little film studio. The guy that did the computer animation for the old Iron Man cartoon is in their little group. Or they had one, I don't know how active they are anymore, I think they're all swamped with their day jobs right now.

Animation!

[font:Book Antiqua]Meaning...?

He work in the avengers animated serie?

the latest Batman animated movie?

By the way how many artist do you need to draw a 22 minutes animated show?

Did he really work for Marvel and DC, or he do work for company producing

animation for this 2 names?

[/font]

Animation!

[font:Book Antiqua]Meaning...?

He work in the avengers animated serie?

the latest Batman animated movie?

By the way how many artist do you need to draw a 22 minutes animated show?

Did he really work for Marvel and DC, or he do work for company producing

animation for this 2 names?

[/font]

As in Dreamworks animation; how to train your dragon, kung fun panda, etc. Feel free to shoot me pm if you have other animation related questions. I hate to derail this thread :baiting:

Edited by Comic_Zone

Buckler was rude to me once.... but I did ask him how much Marvel paid .... so I probably had it coming. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I may have also mentioned I was a big Kirby fan too.....

I bought a nice copy of Hulk 200 from Greg Reece last year at Wizard World NYC and took it to Buckler's table (another artist who didn't have many people coming up to his booth throughout the day). I introduced myself and told him that I really appreciated his work/art. I asked for an autograph and also asked if he would mind if I had CGC witness the signing. He basically scolded me in a stern voice saying "Why? You know who I am. I know who I am. What does it matter if they witness the autograph?"

I tried to explain that most of my autographed books are graded and certified for just that purpose....they are certified....and what if my kids don't like all these comics I'm saving for them? Where is the proof that he actually signed the book?

He didn't care, he had made up his mind about me before I even had the chance to respond. At his request I didn't get the book graded or witnessed.

Ok that is being a

Apparently Buckler knows nothing about sig series

Way to keep abreast of the industry, fool

"Why? You know who I am. I know who I am. What does it matter if they witness the autograph?"

Um-dillrod? Can I call you dillrod? You may not be aware of it, but sometimes people SELL comics. And while you and i may know who signed it, I am not going to sell this comic to you or myself. Therefore-uh-do I need to continue?

As some have mentioned previously in this thread, John Romita Sr. is a class act. I had him sign a Daredevil #12 for me about 25 years ago, and he explained to me how Jr had seen him drawing it in his studio and decided then that he wanted to be a comic book artist.

Neil Adams had a booth beside his son at the Ottawa comicon a few summers ago...he was by himself most of the day,most folks I spoke with said they did not go up and approach him as they had heard he was nasty and had a reputation of being abrasive. I went up to say hi and chatted for quite a while with him and his son and they did a little, not signed, doodle for me.Claremont was fairly rude when I met him 25 years ago though...Wow,nice to meet you I love...Okay kid,move along...

Neil Adams had a booth beside his son at the Ottawa comicon a few summers ago...he was by himself most of the day,most folks I spoke with said they did not go up and approach him as they had heard he was nasty and had a reputation of being abrasive. I went up to say hi and chatted for quite a while with him and his son and they did a little, not signed, doodle for me.

I passed by a few times at a Montreal convention last Summer, and he was all smiles, and seemed very approachable. I didn't have anything to say to him, though...

Even if true there's better ways to say that.

Without a doubt, but..was he right?

I think the story would have more power to it if the young friend's name was Jim Lee or something along those lines. :grin:

Some people would prefer an honest opinion about their work, some want to be mollycoddled. And let's face it, in a business like drawing comics, you'd better have some thick skin, and be ready to hear some unpleasant truth about your work. An editor is certainly not going to hold your hand.

He could've been nicer, no question about it. It has to be heartbreaking to hear someone you admire toss your dreams aside so casually.

If you think about it, ten years ago would've been 1994. At the height of the 'Rob Liefeld look-a-like art'.

Guys like BWS were having to go to other publisher's to work because Marvel was hiring these guys who couldn't draw or understand the basic concepts of sequential art. They just wanted to copy Liefeld's grotesque way of doing things because speculators were increasing print run numbers buying up that garbage. If the art looked anything like that, you could see it being of annoyance to an 'artiste' like BWS, and causing him to be a jerk.

Still not cool...