• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

No way! The highest graded copy of the DC #100 Page 5 only sells for $1900 and that's only a few spots down the OPG list. You think the single highest Cerebus is worth 15X more?

Your question is unclear. 15x more than what?

A 9.6 over a 9.2?

No way! The highest graded copy of the DC #100 Page 5 only sells for $1900 and that's only a few spots down the OPG list. You think the single highest Cerebus is worth 15X more?

A 9.6 over a 9.2?

9.4 is highest 100 Page 5. You, Sir, are trapped. You have to admit either A.) DC 100 Page 5 is expensive toilet paper or 2.) You were making an unreasonable statement.

Blazincomics=Message Board Champion

:cloud9:

That's an 8-10k book in 9.4, sir. Probably 12-15k in 9.6.

You're still not keyed into the difference in extremely rare books.

The rarer the book, the more exponential the price increases with each grade level.

$12-15K?

More like $25-$30k.

Going to have to call you out on this. The notion of anyone paying $25k or anything close to that for any copy of a cerebus 1 is nothing short of wishful thinking. The book may be "rare" but demand is weak.

And you still haven't explained why you believe a sale of a copy of cerebus 1 in 9.4 in 2004 for $10.6k or thereabouts and then again in 2014 for $9k "isn't" a 15% decline in value over a ten year period based on publicly available sales data.

-J.

24 hours into the poll. Seems I was wrong, only 15:4 in favor of cerebus being more valuable than hulk.

I'm not the best at math, but I think that reads better than a 3.5 margin in favor of the cerebus.

Oh, and overstreet, who polls dealers re. appropriate valuations for the boons in 9.2.

A 9.6 over a 9.2?

9.4 is highest 100 Page 5. You, Sir, are trapped. You have to admit either A.) DC 100 Page 5 is expensive toilet paper or 2.) You were making an unreasonable statement.

Your post makes no sense. Sorry.

24 hours into the poll. Seems I was wrong, only 15:4 in favor of cerebus being more valuable than hulk.

I'm not the best at math, but I think that reads better than a 3.5 margin in favor of the cerebus.

Oh, and overstreet, who polls dealers re. appropriate valuations for the boons in 9.2.

Would it be a good idea to open the poll to CG?

The rarer the book, the more exponential the price increases with each grade level.

$12-15K?

More like $25-$30k.

Going to have to call you out on this. The notion of anyone paying $25k or anything close to that for any copy of a cerebus 1 is nothing short of wishful thinking. The book may be "rare" but demand is weak.

Where's the hard, publicly available data that supports that claim? That "demand is weak"...? I'll hang up and take my answer over the air.

:popcorn:

And you still haven't explained why you believe a sale of a copy of cerebus 1 in 9.4 in 2004 for $10.6k or thereabouts and then again in 2014 for $9k "isn't" a 15% decline in value over a ten year period based on publicly available sales data.

-J.

Because they aren't the same things.

And even if that weren't true, you are trying to base your claim on two sales in ten years as some sort of "trend." But it IS true, and you are comparing books that aren't the same thing.

$12-15K?

More like $25-$30k.

Where's the hard, publicly available data that supports that claim? That "demand is weak"...? I'll hang up and take my answer over the air.

:popcorn:

-J.

Because they aren't the same things.

And even if that weren't true, you are trying to base your claim on two sales in ten years as some sort of "trend." But it IS true, and you are comparing books that aren't the same thing.

All of the unsold copies sitting on various comic book sites tells me demand is weak.

All of the prices realized at auction thus far this year tell me demand is weak.

All of the low ball offers (what few offers it does receive) when a copy is put up for sale tell me demand is weak.

The fact that it realized a price 15% lower in its top grade from one publicly available offering to another tells me that demand is weak. If you know of any other copies offered and recorded publicly please post it here and I will reconsider my analysis.

All of the aforementioned is publicly available data that I have used to arrive at my conclusions. Contrary to your belief, it has nothing to do with "emotion".

-J.

A 9.6 over a 9.2?

Your post makes no sense. Sorry.

You have touted DC 100 Page 5 yet the highest graded copy has only yielded around $1900. It's a few spots below Cerebus #1, which you are calling a $30k book in 9.6? Weren't you also repeatedly slamming the guy who paid $30k for the highest graded GL 76 at the time, the #2 book on the OPG list? hm

I agree that none of this makes much sense. Maybe if you dealt with books that were a little scarcer and limited yourself to <1000 words a day your posts would pack a tad more consistency and merit a little more consideration.

:cool:

Poll results on the boards are irrelevant and do not change the actual sales figures on the year.

-J.

$12-15K?

More like $25-$30k.

-J.

Excellent point Jay (thumbs u The decline in prices based on publicly available sales data (which happens to be the most reliable data we have) clearly demonstrates a decline. But one thing to point out is the fact that Cerebus 1 is such a scarce book in high grade that even the slightest increase in demand might change this scenario. The problem Cerebus 1 has with this is that posterity may not be as interested in the Aardvark's 1st appearance as the generation of collectors growing up with Sim's creation.

All it takes is just a few avid collectors vying for a rare comic to drive the price up.

That does make Cerebus 1 a potentially explosive book in terms of value.

Or a book that slowly slips into the unknown because no major comics company are going to keep Cerebus relevant... (shrug)

In fact, it hasn't been relevant to most comics readers for many years... so when the time comes that they are the main comics collectors... Cerebus might get no lovin'.

While the ones who were kids in the 90ties and 00s will have brand attachement with Wolverine and want his first appearance.

It might only be a few stubborn collectors keeping up prices as we speak (we already have seen how one person tries to drive prices up on Cerebus 1 in what would be called shilling if there were his own books. He is more than likely the owner of one or several and is desperately trying to keep the price up. I would say it is more likely to drop (like a rock? no, but slowly seep) than increase in price.