• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

As I said, the book is at best flat, and at worst going down in value from its top grade (9.4) on down. There is simply no basis for concluding that a 9.2 would somehow be the lone grade to double in value from its previous sales.

Why is it valid to use 8.5 sales data to extrapolate a 9.2 value, when it's not equally valid to use the 9.4 sale to extrapolate a 9.2?

We have a 9.4 Cerebus sale from this year that sold for more than double what 9.6 Hulk 181s have sold for, at least per GPA.

Further, at least 3 posters on this board (two of them dealers) in this very thread have said they would trade a 9.2 Hulk for a 9.2 Cerebus straight up. (Here's a hint - it's not that they are Cerebus super fans; it's that the book is simply worth more.)

8.5 =/= 9.2 for 90% of the books out there.

Okay let me put it another way for you:

In 2004 a cerebus 1, 9.4 sold for about $10,600.

In 2010, six years later, with that record breaking sale of a 9.4 on the record, a 9.2 could only muster $1725 on a sale.

Two years later in 2012 another 9.2 sold for $1434. That is a DECLINE in value over a two year period of about 17%.

In 2014 another 9.4 sold for $9000. That's also a DECLINE in value, this time of about 15%.

In that time you have one lone sale that appears to help your case...The 9.0 that sold for $2500 last year. With all of the other sales in surrounding grades and time frames, however, that cannot be considered anything other than an outlier.

Because this year, there seems to be a more return to form as other similarly high grade copies are going for only $800-900 with just one sale that's been "pending" on comic link for nearly two months at $1050.

But as far as the top two grades of the book is concerned there has been a very real price deflation observed over the last ten years. That is, there is simply nothing out there to suggest that anything has changed and that a 9.2 would suddenly more than double in value right now to have a higher FMV than the Hulk 181 in like grade.

-J.

So then why can't the 10K price be an outliner? Wasn;t that the first 9.4 signed copy to sell? If we tossed that price out, what do we have? Well we have a book going up in value in 9.4.

But even if we kept that, the price goes back up when we consider the recent 9.4 sale compared to the previous 9.4 sales in 2009 and 2010. I suspect the Blue label is part of that reason. I also suspect that's why the book took suck a large jump from the 2010 and 2012 yellow prices of 9.0. Of roughly (2x) $1500 Yellow to $2500 Blue.

Also the 9.2 was $2,136 in 2005 unless you have another sale that I missed.

Part of the problem is signed copies are more common than the blue labels in 9.0-9.4. Its not an easy book to figure out, I will say that. But your reasoning I believe are incorrect.

You're certainly free to disagree with my conclusions (though I don't see how you do), it still doesn't change the numbers.

And I didn't use the 2005 sale of the 9.2 for $ 2136 because we had more recent data available since then.

BUT, if you insist, that would actually equate to a 33% DECLINE in value over the same 10 year period, give or take that the 9.4 has also declined in value.

And again, your best case scenario, even if you average out the more recent sales in 9.4 would be a book that has been flat for years. Not a book that's lighting up sales records, and certainly nothing to suggest a 9.2 will have more than DOUBLED from its very recent lows to somehow have a higher FMV than a Hulk 181 9.2. Not by any stretch of logic or any myopic reading of the publicly available sales data can such a conclusion reasonably be reached IMO.

-J.

As I said, the book is at best flat, and at worst going down in value from its top grade (9.4) on down. There is simply no basis for concluding that a 9.2 would somehow be the lone grade to double in value from its previous sales.

Why is it valid to use 8.5 sales data to extrapolate a 9.2 value, when it's not equally valid to use the 9.4 sale to extrapolate a 9.2?

We have a 9.4 Cerebus sale from this year that sold for more than double what 9.6 Hulk 181s have sold for, at least per GPA.

Further, at least 3 posters on this board (two of them dealers) in this very thread have said they would trade a 9.2 Hulk for a 9.2 Cerebus straight up. (Here's a hint - it's not that they are Cerebus super fans; it's that the book is simply worth more.)

In 2010, six years later, with that record breaking sale of a 9.4 on the record, a 9.2 could only muster $1725 on a sale.

Two years later in 2012 another 9.2 sold for $1434. That is a DECLINE in value over a two year period of about 17%.

In 2014 another 9.4 sold for $9000. That's also a DECLINE in value, this time of about 15%.

In that time you have one lone sale that appears to help your case...The 9.0 that sold for $2500 last year. With all of the other sales in surrounding grades and time frames, however, that cannot be considered anything other than an outlier.

Because this year, there seems to be a more return to form as other similarly high grade copies are going for only $800-900 with just one sale that's been "pending" on comic link for nearly two months at $1050.

But as far as the top two grades of the book is concerned there has been a very real price deflation observed over the last ten years. That is, there is simply nothing out there to suggest that anything has changed and that a 9.2 would suddenly more than double in value right now to have a higher FMV than the Hulk 181 in like grade.

-J.

So then why can't the 10K price be an outliner? Wasn;t that the first 9.4 signed copy to sell? If we tossed that price out, what do we have? Well we have a book going up in value in 9.4.

But even if we kept that, the price goes back up when we consider the recent 9.4 sale compared to the previous 9.4 sales in 2009 and 2010. I suspect the Blue label is part of that reason. I also suspect that's why the book took suck a large jump from the 2010 and 2012 yellow prices of 9.0. Of roughly (2x) $1500 Yellow to $2500 Blue.

Part of the problem is signed copies are more common than the blue labels in 9.0-9.4. Its not an easy book to figure out, I will say that. But your reasoning I believe are incorrect.

You're certainly free to disagree with my conclusions (though I don't see how you do), it still doesn't change the numbers.

And I didn't use the 2005 sale of the 9.2 for $ 2136 because we had more recent data available since then.

BUT, if you insist, that would actually equate to a 33% DECLINE in value over the same 10 year period, give or take that the 9.4 has also declined in value.

And again, your best case scenario, even if you average out the more recent sales in 9.4 would be a book that has been flat for years. Not a book that's lighting up sales records, and certainly nothing to suggest a 9.2 will have more than DOUBLED from its very recent lows to somehow have a higher FMV than a Hulk 181 9.2. Not by any stretch of logic or any myopic reading of the publicly available sales data can such a conclusion reasonably be reached IMO.

-J.

I see part of your problem, your $1434 was for a 9.0 not a 9.2.

( 9.0 ) Sgnt series/Signed by Dave Sim (1) $1,434 $1,434 Feb-2012

I would also add the 9.0 price has gone up also since the last sale from 2005 from $1750 to $2500

But here is how I would get a price

9.4 blue= 9K (2014 Price) Only sale

9.0 blue $2500K (2013) Price going up from 2005

8.5 blue $850, $1050 prices (2014) Price going up from previous year

4.5K doesn't seem unreasonable according to these prices points.

Now lets look at yellow prices

9.4 Yellow File copy= 7K (2010 Price)

9.2 Yellow File copy= $2,136 (2005 Price)

9.0 Yellow $1434= (2012 Price)

9.0 Yellow File copy $1725= (2010 Price)

So here a reasonable price for a 9.2 yellow would be $2000-$3000. Based on current sales I would guess toward the higher end of that estimate. A File copy possibly a getting a bit more than a non file copy

(Edit: added another data point)

Edited by Rip

-J.

-J.

I would also add the 9.0 price has gone up also since the last sale from 2005 from $1750 to $2500

9.4 Yellow= 7K (2010 Price)

9.2 Yellow $2,136 (2005 Price)

9.0 Yellow $1434 (2012 Price)

So here a reasonable price for a 9.2 yellow would be $2000-$3000. Based on current sales I would guess toward the higher end of that estimate.

And my estimate for a 9.2 would be much closer to $2000, but not less than $2000. Either we're not far apart after all.

Now let's look at the Hulk 181 SS selling for $3700 in march, and a 9.2 blue trending upwards with two recent sales of $3200 and even an inferior 9.2 going for $2,750 and you see the very legitimate questioning of OPG's ranking. (thumbs u

And FYI, that comic link sale for the cerebus 1 8.5 is only "pending" and even if it were to actually consummate will not be reflected in GPA. Which works out well for the book better in the long run with all of the other under GPA sales that have been realized for the book in other grades on there. Like I said earlier you literally have only ONE sale, the 9.0 that helps your case at all. Literally everything else says the book is basically stagnant to declining in value.

-J.

Given the most recent 9.0 blue sale of $2,500 & the most recent 9.4 blue sale of $9,000 (each within the last year and a half), why is it unreasonable to presume a 9.2 blue sale would not fall somewhere in the middle of these?

Your statement above seems to imply that you would value a 9.2 blue at less than $2,500, or less than the realized 2013 sale of a 9.0 blue.

-J.

-J.

So here a reasonable price for a 9.2 yellow would be $2000-$3000. Based on current sales I would guess toward the higher end of that estimate.

And my estimate for a 9.2 would be much closer to $2000, but not less than $2000. So we're not far apart after all.

Now let's look at a Hulk 181 SS selling for $3700 in march, and a 9.2 blue trending upwards with two recent sales of $3300 and even an inferior 9.2 going for $2,750 and you see the very legitimate questioning of OPG's ranking. (thumbs u

-J.

It would be very close on SS. The SS had Lee/Romita Sr/Trimpe/Wein all signing. That went for $3700.

The two most recent sales are Sep-06-2014 $2,750 and Aug-18-2014 $3,200. 3 recent sales above $2500 in blue. So the book has been doing well with the latest X-Men movie

Blue I would pick Cerebus all the way, but yellow its very close.

-J.

-J.

Like I said earlier you literally have only ONE sale, the 9.0 that helps your case at all. Literally everything else says the book is basically stagnant to declining in value.

-J.

Its not one sale I am basing the info on, its four as shown above.

Edited by Rip

Given the most recent 9.0 blue sale of $2,500 & the most recent 9.4 blue sale of $9,000 (each within the last year and a half), why is it unreasonable to presume a 9.2 blue sale would not fall somewhere in the middle of these?

Your statement above seems to imply that you would value a 9.2 blue at less than $2,500, or less than the realized 2013 sale of a 9.0 blue.

My statement was that the 9.0 is an outlier and you are basically hinging the entire basis of your argument on that one single sale. The 8.5 is a more recent sale, it closed at $850. That drags down the current FMV for your 9.0. And again there is nothing to suggest that a 9.2 has doubled in price from its last sale. Nothing except wishful thinking for a book that is fading in relevance and mass collector interest.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Like I said earlier you literally have only ONE sale, the 9.0 that helps your case at all. Literally everything else says the book is basically stagnant to declining in value.

-J.

That is not correct. You are parsing out sales that hurt you, calling sales "sales" that aren't, and narrowing the field of comps to give a distorted impression about what's really been going on with this book for the last ten years. It is what it is, again, don't shoot the messenger.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

That is not correct. You are parsing out sales that hurt you, calling sales "sales" that aren't, and narrowing the field of comps to give a distorted impression about what's really been going on with this book for the last ten years. It is what it is, again, don't shoot the messenger.

-J.

"Sale pending" is what you will find on every page on Comiclink with a sale. So yes I think its valid to count it. Please explain why I am wrong. What sales did I miss?

Edited by Rip

My statement was that the 9.0 is an outlier and you are basically hinging the entire basis of your argument on that one single sale. The 8.5 is a more recent sale, it closed at $850. That drags down the current FMV for your 9.0. And again there is nothing to suggest that a 9.2 has doubled in price from its last sale. Nothing except wishful thinking for a book that is fading in relevance and mass collector interest.

-J.

No it doesn't drag the price down when the price of a 8.5 went up from the previous sale.

I have already explained this error you made.

But how could the recent 8.5 price drag the price down if the 8.5 went up from last year when the 8.5 sold for $820 and the 9.0 sold for $2500 within a two month time period?

Can we agree this statement is false where you claim:

"Going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I would argue that the 8.5 sale of cerebus 1 that just sold for $850 a few weeks ago drags down the current value of that 9.0 to more in the $1500 range. "

Edited by Rip

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

"Sale pending" is what you will find on every page on Comiclink with a sale. So yes I think its valid to count it. Please explain why I am wrong.

It's a peripheral point but the sale is consummated when it no longer appears as "pending" on the site and the listing poofs. And whether you "count" it or not it still does nothing to help with the value of the lone 9.0 sale, and it does nothing to help make a case that a 9.2 has doubled in value in the last 18 months.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

"Sale pending" is what you will find on every page on Comiclink with a sale. So yes I think its valid to count it. Please explain why I am wrong.

It's a peripheral point but the sale is consummated when it no longer appears as "pending" on the site and the listing poofs. And whether you "count" it or not it still does nothing to help with the value of the lone 9.0 sale, and it does nothing to help make a case that a 9.2 has doubled in value in the last 18 months.

-J.

The "sales pending" means very little. I have already received money months ago from books still showing the "sales pending" at Comiclink. I'm not claiming a 9.2 Blue or yellow has doubled in value in 18 months. Is anyone?

Edited by Rip

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

The "sales pending" means very little. I have already received money months ago from books still showing the "sales pending" at Comiclink. I'm not claiming a 9.2 Blue or yellow has doubled in value in 18 months. Is anyone?

You basically are. For the book to have a higher FMV than the hulk 181, it would virtually have had to have doubled from its 2010 sale.

You are very selective with your data points. Again, looking at ALL of the data points over the ten years that we have available data, the book has been, at best stagnant, and in most grades has in fact seen declines, including in it top grades, barring that one outlier sale of the 9.0, which you seem to be basing the entire value of this book on. That one single sale of that one single book in that one single grade doesn't save your book.

That is absolutely no legitimate or valid way to conclude the book has a higher FMV than the hulk 181 in like grade. The books are literally going in two opposite directions. OPG is off the mark.

-J.

You basically are. For the book to have a higher FMV than the hulk 181, it would virtually have had to have doubled from its 2010 sale.

You are very selective with your data points. Again, looking at ALL of the data points over the ten years that we have available data, the book has been, at best stagnant, and in most grades has in fact seen declines, including in it top grades, barring that one outlier sale of the 9.0, which you seem to be basing the entire value of this book on. That one single sale of that one single book in that one single grade doesn't save your book.

That is absolutely no legitimate or valid way to conclude the book has a higher FMV than the hulk 181 in like grade. The books are literally going in two opposite directions. OPG is off the mark.

-J.

Which prices do you feel I should add?

Do you have more HG sales info?

What about the blue 9.4 sale for 9K in Mar 2014, how do you account for that?

The 9.0 2010 yellow was $1,725, is this the sale you are talking about?

I don't understand.

Edited by Rip

I'm saying that when you look at ALL the sales over the 10 year period we have data there is a clear drop in prices in its highest grades, and stagnant to lower in its lower grades. The one and only grade that hasn't fizzled is that one sale for the 9.0 but subsequent under $900 sales for an 8.5 certainly does not do that $2500 price any favors now.

-J.

I'm saying that when you look at ALL the sales over the 10 year period we have data there is a clear drop in prices in its highest grades, and stagnant to lower in its lower grades. The one and only grade that hasn't fizzled is that one sale for the 9.0 but subsequent under $900 sales for an 8.5 certainly does not do that $2500 price any favors now.

-J.

But the 9.4 Blue sale in 2014 shows otherwise.

-J.

I'm looking at ALL sales.

But like minds are free to disagree. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

I'm looking at ALL sales.

But like minds are free to disagree. (thumbs u

-J.

Jaydog, you seem like a good dude and in 9.2 you make a good argument for the 181, but when it comes to dollars and cents the edge goes to the rarer Cerebus #1. Why? Because if you can bump (potentialize) the 181 you will make an extra $600-$1000. If you can bump the Cerebus #1 you'll make an extra $6k in 9.4 and anywhere from $8k-15k if you can bump to 9.6. That's why Ive said I believe the books are comparable in 9.2, but if I had $2750 and had to pick one I believe you have to chase the upside of the Cerebus #1.