• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

Any national dealer on this board, if given a chance, would buy a Cerebus #1 CGC 9.4 over a Hulk #181 CGC 9.4 - if offered only one or the other - for $500.

End of story.

Because, thus far, they've seen, they will make MORE MONEY off the book -MEANING that in HIGH GRADE it is more VALUABLE to them.

Hence, it's more VALUABLE in HG as reflected in the OSPG, a guide for people who SELL comics.

See jaydog, you look at GPA as a novice and a fan would... As what HAS happened. A professional comic book dealer looks at it as what MAY happened, combined with what they HEAR every DAY from people who buy HG books, combined with a decades old knowledge of the marketplace.

Real world application vs I fell in love with Wolverine as a boy.

You lose.

Hi Chuck, I notice that you keep making the same point above in regards to 9.4 graded copies. However, since Overstreet's top 10 list is based on value in NM-, what 9.4's sell for is almost (but not quite) as irrelevant as what 8.5's sell for.

In regards to 9.2's, IMO, arguments can be made from both sides (as they are) as to which would sell for more today (a lot of which might vary depending on the attractiveness of a particular copy, sales venue, auction vs. fixed price, etc.)

2c

The issue is "why is Cerebus #1 worth more than Hulk #181 in ANY grade???"

This is the problem people have, but as we see, Cerebus #1 is clearly more valuable in 9.4 AND ABOVE (if "above" existed for Cerebus #1.)

In 9.6 and 9.8, Cerebus #1 would blow Hulk #181 out of the water.

OPG doesn't go beyond 9.2 That's the only reason it is based on the value in NM-. And arguments CAN'T be made from both sides...they can't be made from ANY side, because we only have a single sale from 2005.

Based on GPA, we don't know.

But here's the key: OPG doesn't just use GPA. Why everyone is hung up on GPA as it relates to OPG is anyone's guess. GPA and slabbed sales on simply one avenue that OPG uses.

The bottom line is simple: people who are hyperfans of Wolverine are offended that a book they think is mess is worth more.

That's what this entire thread has been about. That's it.

Dear Audience,

I am a Wolverine fan. :hi:

Sincerely,

Partisan

Finally!

Jaydog says something TRUE!

:cloud9:

RMA, can I ask your opinion on a completely unrelated, off-topic question?

Kamala Harris, your state AG is 27:1 for the 2016 election. You like that play or throwing money away?

I'm not a fan of Kamala Harris, and she obtained the office corruptly.

Any national dealer on this board, if given a chance, would buy a Cerebus #1 CGC 9.4 over a Hulk #181 CGC 9.4 - if offered only one or the other - for $500.

End of story.

Because, thus far, they've seen, they will make MORE MONEY off the book -MEANING that in HIGH GRADE it is more VALUABLE to them.

Hence, it's more VALUABLE in HG as reflected in the OSPG, a guide for people who SELL comics.

See jaydog, you look at GPA as a novice and a fan would... As what HAS happened. A professional comic book dealer looks at it as what MAY happened, combined with what they HEAR every DAY from people who buy HG books, combined with a decades old knowledge of the marketplace.

You lose.

Hi Chuck, I notice that you keep making the same point above in regards to 9.4 graded copies. However, since Overstreet's top 10 list is based on value in NM-, what 9.4's sell for is almost (but not quite) as irrelevant as what 8.5's sell for.

In regards to 9.2's, IMO, arguments can be made from both sides (as they are) as to which would sell for more today (a lot of which might vary depending on the attractiveness of a particular copy, sales venue, auction vs. fixed price, etc.)

2c

Irrelevant?

As a dealer, getting CGC graded 9.4 Cerebus #1 would NEVER be irrelevant.

As far as the 9.2 goes... My GOD, how many times does this have to be repeated???

A) One sale from 2005 is all GPA has. So...

You mean to tell me, and I expect you to answer this question, that as a dealer - if you got in that Cerebus #1 CGC 9.2 - you'd put it out for sale at - $2136?

Is that what you'd do?

Of course not. You'd put it up for auction.

Gee. What would it go for? What do we have to go by?

A 9.4 from March of this year which blew the doors off, and a 9.0 from last year that hit $2500.

The logical guess is - it'd do more than $2500. Would it meet half way at about $5000? A quarter of the way at $3750? Let's ask some experts.

They agree - it'd rock.

See, you can't go by one sale from 9 years ago. You understand that right?

Like, what did 9.2 Hulk 181's sell for in 2005? $1000? $1250? Anyone?

One of the other things OSPG uses is the advise and imput from some of the long time dealers who handle these books everyday. They're looking at it, not from a 'I LOVE Wolverine :cloud9: standpoint, but from a BUSINESS standpoint.

They know how to use GPA. And they're smart enough not to price ANYTHING by one sale from 9 years ago. They'd have never made it in the business this long if they did that.

Hmmmmmmmm.....$3750 is about 60% above guide. I think that's a little ambitious. Whoever bought the last 9.4 might have thought it had 9.6, single highest graded potential, and could have overpaid for the opportunity to find out.

I could probably just as easily argue on behalf of the Cerebus #1 (shrug)

Like I said, dead heat. We won't figure this out until another 9.2 hits the market. If this goes on for much longer I may have to sniff one out and auction it off myself.

Frankly there should be a MINIMUM amount of sales before a book can even be eligible to make the list. And it should be a weighted average of all sales across all the grades. That would create a level playing field regardless of print run and eliminate books with waning or negligible impact on the hobby.

Again, the way Overstreet does it it stupid, as books like cerebus 1, with 0 sales in grade for years get cursory, unearned "honorary mentions" based on meaningless hypothetical "what ifs?" While books like hulk 181 is somehow penalized for having people actually buying it in grade on a regular basis which develops a real and actual cost basis. Comparing those real and hard numbers to the mythical, hypothetical unicorn numbers of a book that hasn't sold in a decade is really very stupid not to mention pointless and meaningless.

Get with the times overstreet.

-J.

Then stop complaining and publish your own price guide.

Then everyone can complain about it, too.

What I don't understand is why you are so incredibly stubborn. I don't understand it. You keep harping over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that "we can't go by ONE sale!!!"

And you have been told over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that GPA and slabbed books are merely ONE AVENUE through which Overstreet gets his information.

Yet, you keep ignoring that, as you ignore every other fact that doesn't support your position.

When are you going to stop mischaracterizing every single damn aspect of this conversation...?

Hmm?

End of story.

You lose.

2c

Irrelevant?

As far as the 9.2 goes... My GOD, how many times does this have to be repeated???

You mean to tell me, and I expect you to answer this question, that as a dealer - if you got in that Cerebus #1 CGC 9.2 - you'd put it out for sale at - $2136?

Is that what you'd do?

A 9.4 from March of this year which blew the doors off, and a 9.0 from last year that hit $2500.

The logical guess is - it'd do more than $2500. Would it meet half way at about $5000? A quarter of the way at $3750? Let's ask some experts.

They agree - it'd rock.

One of the other things OSPG uses is the advise and imput from some of the long time dealers who handle these books everyday. They're looking at it, not from a 'I LOVE Wolverine :cloud9: standpoint, but from a BUSINESS standpoint.

They know how to use GPA. And they're smart enough not to price ANYTHING by one sale from 9 years ago. They'd have never made it in the business this long if they did that.

Hmmmmmmmm.....$3750 is about 60% above guide. I think that's a little ambitious. Whoever bought the last 9.4 might have thought it had 9.6, single highest graded potential, and could have overpaid for the opportunity to find out.

Like I said, dead heat. We won't figure this out until another 9.2 hits the market. If this goes on for much longer I may have to sniff one out and auction it off myself.

Frankly there should be a MINIMUM amount of sales before a book can even be eligible to make the list. And it should be a weighted average of all sales across all the grades. That would create a level playing field regardless of print run and eliminate books with waning or negligible impact on the hobby.

Again, the way Overstreet does it it stupid, as books like cerebus 1, with 0 sales in grade for years get cursory, unearned "honorary mentions" based on meaningless hypothetical "what ifs?" While books like hulk 181 is somehow penalized for having people actually buying it in grade on a regular basis which develops a real and actual cost basis. Comparing those real and hard numbers to the mythical, hypothetical unicorn numbers of a book that hasn't sold in a decade is really very stupid not to mention pointless and meaningless.

-J.

Agreed. They shouldn't be putting Action Comics 1,, Detective Comics 27, and other books that only sell a single copy every few years in any of these lists. :sumo: There just isn't enough data to fairly compare those books with other books that have more data.

;)

However a weighted average of those sales would not likely get it anywhere near the list. -J.

I do not believe you understand what a "weighted average" really is. When asked previously in this thread for a "weighted analysis", you completely refused to give one, and called an essay on why Hulk #181 is better than Cerebus #1 that analysis, which is no analysis of Hulk #181 at all.

Do a dollar/cost average. Do a basis point analysis.

For every $10 worth of Cerebus #1 in all grades, Hulk #181 is worth $X.

Distribution of Hulk #181 prices over all grades. Distribution of sales over all grades. A bell curve.

Things like that.

Opinions aren't analyses.

There isn't a single 9.2 sale we can find anywhere that indicates the book would breach $3k, let alone $3750.

There isn't a single 9.2 sale we can find anywhere that indicates the book would NOT breach $3k, let alone $3750.

You don't know. No one knows.

Just like you have a problem with people saying it WOULD break this and such price, SO CAN those people have a problem with you saying it wouldn't.

I would rather have a Cerebus #1 than an IH #181,of course I have two 181's so...... (shrug)

Would you like to have my Addy to gift me one for my fortieth? :baiting:

Yes,turd I am.

But I will never call you a cab.

End of story.

You lose.

2c

Irrelevant?

Is that what you'd do?

They agree - it'd rock.

Hmmmmmmmm.....$3750 is about 60% above guide.

Above guide? Above guide. We just switch from GPA to the guide when it suits us in the conversation. Do you guys work for Kevin Smith or what?

I think that's a little ambitious.
As opposed to what Bob Overstreet thinks, who's been doing it for 44+ years, and pools his information, not JUST from GPA, but from raw sales reported by national dealers from all over the country and, ok... yeah.

Whoever bought the last 9.4 might have thought it had 9.6, single highest graded potential, and could have overpaid for the opportunity to find out.
Yeah, that's what people do with $9000. Just throw it up there, maybe I'll get lucky. That's exactly how it works. lol

Ok.

Like I said, dead heat.
lol People who's opinion I respect a lot more than yours think otherwise.

We won't figure this out until another 9.2 hits the market. If this goes on for much longer I may have to sniff one out and auction it off myself.
You'd auction it? Why? You seem to already know what the price would be...

If you were to get your home appraised you would need a few comparable sales to justify the value. There isn't a single 9.2 sale we can find anywhere that indicates the book would breach $3k, let alone $3750. Neither GPA or OPG can be used to state your case. By the same token, there is a sale that you have not mentioned once that does not help your cause one bit. In 2/2012 an SS 9.0 copy sold for a little over $1430. Nothing about this sale, which is as good a comp as any we have, would demonstrate any reason to estimate a value of $3750. There was a 9.0 before that which had hit roughly $1750, but the book was a file copy and SS. 2 out of the 3 best comparables did not even reach $2k. $3750 is a reach. That number is simply unrealistic.

As far as the 9.4 sale that you are in love with, yes, people whose opinion you respect more than mine have probably bought a book for no other reason than they thought it was a strong upgrade candidate. I've done it. Potentializing is part of the game. It just made a guy >$1,000,000 doing exactly that on an Action #1 tonight. If you don't think this occurs in less expensive books like the Cerebus #1, you could possibly be experiencing some naïveté.

Careful blaze....lest you be accused of "intellectual dishonesty" for having the audacity to quote actual publicly available facts and figures. :sumo:

Hulk SMASH!

-J.

No need to play the martyr.

You have been accused of intellectual dishonesty...no quotes needed...for your consistent and stubborn mischaracterizing during this entire conversation.

but no data was presented

This is not true.

The data has been posted in this thread multiple times, by both "sides" of the discussion.

It's right in front of your eyes.

I've done more than enough hand holding and explaining to last a thousand threads; I'm not going to do any more. If you can't see it....that's the end of that.

And "downward price trend" is not only not true, it's quite specious.

Perhaps it would be clearer if my summary of the points made by others was quoted in full without edits.

(shrug)

- A downward price trend of "15% for Cerebus 1 over ten year period" was presented by one party with figures - in direct response to a question from the other party; the second party disputed that assessment as wrong but no data was presented nor was any explanation of how the data should be interpreted to rationalize a conclusion that contradicts the simple mathematics used by the first party.

specious - misleading in appearance hm

I can only guess as to why you now refuse to hand-hold, link, quote yourself or simply re-state your reasoning about the ten year thing after posting thousands of words on this topic in general.

You do not "play fair" in discussions, so this will be my last response to you. My response was adequately clear, without the need to "quote in full."

As far as "only guessing"...again, you fight dirty (see the "backpedal" gif above), which is unfortunate, but any attempt, no matter how reasonable, would be rejected by you, and would be utterly futile.

You will draw, as always, any conclusion you wish. Take care.

Again...instead of complaining about how I debate, why not confine yourself to methodical, structured reasoning, relying on empirical evidence, to make your points?

Is it because you discover that your point doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but you're too proud to admit it, like many around here...?

That's simple pride. I am happy to discard concepts, idea, and information that are found to be wrong.

Are you...?

:cloud9: < clickable smiley for source

:makepoint:

End of story.

You lose.

2c

Irrelevant?

Is that what you'd do?

They agree - it'd rock.

-J.

Agreed. They shouldn't be putting Action Comics 1,, Detective Comics 27, and other books that only sell a single copy every few years in any of these lists. :sumo: There just isn't enough data to fairly compare those books with other books that have more data.

GA ain't BA. :baiting:

-J.

You want to put way too many parameters around these simple top valued book for the age list. They are interesting lists for people that might attract attention to a book that might not otherwise get the attention. As a comic collector, I value these lists over a list made up by Marvel and DC fans that would contain the same boring 10 superhero issues year after year after year. (I can get those lists every day of the week just reading these boards.) I don't think there is a comic collector around who doesn't know that IH 181 is a valuable book and is Wolverine's 1st full appearance. But, a list with Cerebus will make a comic collector stop and think. Cerebus hasn't been published in what, 10 years. It is also not a big 2 title. So for it to command the value it does, is pretty remarkable.

Should TMNT 1 be dropped from any Copper Age list? Not enough sales in a year to warrant it being on that list too? But taking that stance would be silly, correct?

Personally, I think Overstreet is doing a service to the comic collecting community by not pushing the same, tired old superhero year after year. There is a much larger collecting community out there outside the big 2 and they do a very good job of reflecting that.

We have a unbiased top 10 list and someone is taking issue with it because a comic which deserves to be in a top 10 list of most valuable BA books does not have enough copies in circulation to be considered.

Actually there are plenty of sales a year of cerebus 1 that could be taken into consideration. However a weighted average of those sales would not likely get it anywhere near the list. And ONE sale a year or every ten years in its top grades certainly do not warrant it an "honorary mention" year after year simply because it is a "non super hero comic". Therein lies the fatal flaw in Overstreet's current methodology.

-J.

This discussion is going off topic, but I'm guessing all the facts that are going to come out on the subject have already been debated, so....

Interesting. What you see as a flaw I see as a strength. So, if I were asked the question "is Overstreet irrelevant?", my answer would be no, for the very reasons I see other people arguing why Overstreet is irrelevant. I've noticed every year, the Overstreet book usually has one Marvel cover, one DC cover, and one independent cover. I applaud Overstreet for acknowledging there is a much larger world of comics beyond the big 2. Yearly lists that concentrated on the big 2 would do a huge disservice to the comic collecting community and wouldn't acknowledge the large portion of the market that is not superheroes. I'm okay with an "honorary mention" (I disagree with this, but I can see your point) for a title like Cerebus. The importance of the superheroes books are fairly represented in these lists and throwing a non-big 2 book or two on a list doesn't hurt anyone. Big 2 collectors are not going to lose interest in a book like IH 181 just because Cerebus shows up a ranking higher on a value list one year.

Sure, Overstreet has been a yearly publication that prints a "value" for comic books. It has also been a focal point for collectors and dealers over the years to discuss and debate the ages; to highlight collections and books that aren't necessary mainstream; to debate and research other aspects of the hobby like how printing works, Whitman's role, and other obscure information; and for large dealers to advertise which allows collectors to find the big dealers that will have those harder to find comics. I don't know if the owners of Overstreet understand how important their publication has been to the hobby over the years, but I suspect they do. While they have more competition these days in the form of the Internet, I still applaud them for maintaining a level of integrity in reporting on the entire US comic market and not just the current hot books. (We had publications over the years that did that and where are they now?) Are they completely unbiased? I really can't say, but I've never felt they were biased. I think they have been fair over the years and have brought immense knowledge to the market that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

I'm a collector who is just now getting into foreign comics. Overstreet provides a huge service to US comic collectors that foreign comic collectors only dream about. For example, I know what Star Wars comics are available in the US, whereas I'm still learning what is out there in the world from a foreign perspective. There is no one publication I can go reference for this information. I look forward to the day that someone publishes a foreign comics yearly that I can reference as much as I have with Overstreet over the years.

I actually do agree with you, and I applaud your measured style of debate. I actually stated much (much) earlier in this thread something very similar-- that having books like cerebus 1 around and represented was obviously a good thing overall for the hobby. I just so happened to agree with the crux of the OP's original post that questioned which books overstreet "counts" for the the list and the ranking of them. While I don't think overstreet is biased per se, I would say that by specifically creating a list that gives a nod to broader collecting interests outside of marvel and DC, he opens himself up to debates such as these. At the end of the day, "top ten" lists are prone to do that anyway. And that might ultimately be the point. (thumbs u

-J.

Dear Audience,

I am a Wolverine fan. :hi:

Sincerely,

Partisan

Finally!

Jaydog says something TRUE!

:cloud9:

RMA, can I ask your opinion on a completely unrelated, off-topic question?

Kamala Harris, your state AG is 27:1 for the 2016 election. You like that play or throwing money away?

I'm not a fan of Kamala Harris, and she obtained the office corruptly.

She's marketable and I like them odds. Contemplating her at 27:1, Sen Rand Paul @ 21:1 and wagering whatever I put on those two on Hillary at 5:4. If one of the two long shots hit its payday. If Hillary wins I get back investment + ticket out to Vegas to place the bet at Ceasers. These are the odds available in London. Once the futures hit the states there may not be as much meat on the bone, but we will see.

While the market for IH181 is acknowledged as broad, the market for Cerebus 1 is substantially smaller - since there hasn't been much posted other than what jaydog pasted from GPA I decided to take a peek at recent e-bay activity to see if I could observe a trend. I admit I've never followed this book's price before but there are not many examples to choose from so it was fairly easy to do.

What surprised me is that one particular buyer b***i (390) has tried unsuccessfully 3 times to acquire this book in the last three months - he was within spitting distance of winning the book three times. hm

What conclusions can we draw from this? Is this a guy simply trying to buy this book :angel: or is the market for this book so limited that "market maintenance" bids are being placed by interested parties :devil: ?!??

I guess that is up to anyone reading this to decide. (shrug)

The smaller price gap of approximately $20 between the June & August (one grade less) certified copies tells me that b***i (390) feels the book is increasing in value - so that appears to be the trend & to be fair both the winner & under bidder felt similarly about the book as our recurring bidder did in the last most recent sample.

Hopefully he wins one soon :wishluck:or puts his copies up for sale. :shy:

finaljune15.jpg finaljune29.jpgfinalaug3.jpg

In other interesting pricing news, there's currently a CGC 7.5 up on Clink with a $750 asking price, which is less than a CGC 7.0 sold for in Clink's recent auction (shown directly below it with a final price of $786).