• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

RMA, you have a way with words, no doubt. The gpa data of both books in 9.2, however, seems for the moment at least to favor the #181. No 9.2 Cerebus #1, per gpa, SS or Universal, has ever breached $3000. Assuming the last Hulk #181 in 9.2 was legit, it just sold for almost $700 more than any copy, SS or otherwise, of Cerebus #1 in any grade 9.2 or below. No Cerebus #1, aside from the highest graded, has ever breached $3k. By analyzing the sparse data availible on Cerebus #1 in 9.2, an appraisal of $2300-$2800 for a Universal 9.2 seems reasonable. This may even be generous since most recorded sales are SS or a file copy. The most recent sale of 181, drug induced or not, would give that book an edge based strictly on the data.

The facts dispute you. What else can be said?

Always love a person who makes his own interpretation out to be facts.

Facts:

Cerebus #1 sales, as recorded at GPA...

( 9.4 ) - - (1) $9,000 - $9,000 Mar-2014

( 9.4 ) Sgnt series/Signed by Dave Sim (Dave Sim File Copy) - - - - $7,768 Feb-2010

(1) $7,754Hi

(1) $10,600Hi

Total books sold: 3. Hi/Low price recorded: $10,600/$7,754

( 9.2 ) Sgnt series/Signed by Dave Sim (Dave Sim File Copy) - - - - $2,136 Nov-2005

These are facts, established and recorded. Do you dispute these facts? Because these are the facts to which I refer, not my opinion.

And I especially find it funny when a person reads his own view into my writings. You are batting 1000.

Please try not to be so easily offended, and ask before assuming an incorrect interpretation of what someone else has written. My "no" was not about Jaydog's understanding of your original post, but rather that it is "only in Overstreet" that such a conclusion can be reached.

My apologies for not cutting out the phrase " I think that's in line with the OP's original point too;" which led to your misunderstanding my post.

Really, do you own a copy of Cerebus 1? I can understand and appreciate your passion for the book.

You make the mistake of assuming I am arguing out of passion...perhaps because that is all you know? I do not argue out of passion, but out of reason, regardless of my personal feelings about both books.

But your textual interpretation of the OSPG, while a noble way of looking at it, is not exclusive. There's nothing wrong or illogical with looking at other factors beyond the text itself.

When you change the parameters of the original premise, and then use that to argue that the original premise is therefore wrong, that's irrational.

That's precisely what has happened here.

I see you disagree with that and your opinion has been noted. So please, stop trying to impress upon all of us here that you're the great defender of reason and logic. You made your point that you disagree with the position that some of us find credible.

I'm sorry that you are offended by this, but that doesn't change the fact that your position...that Cerebus #1 is only more valuable according to Overstreet, and that itself is an unreasonable conclusion for Overstreet to draw...is invalid.

Five sales in 10 years? Hulk 181 will sell that many in grade this week. RMA, I think you have inadvertently validated the OP's original point with the cited GPA data you have provided.

:baiting:

-J.

I guess we should remove Detective Comics 27 and Action Comics 1 from the Overstreet top GA lists too since they sell very few copies over the years. :baiting:

Edited by rjrjr

RMA, you have a way with words, no doubt. The gpa data of both books in 9.2, however, seems for the moment at least to favor the #181. No 9.2 Cerebus #1, per gpa, SS or Universal, has ever breached $3000. Assuming the last Hulk #181 in 9.2 was legit, it just sold for almost $700 more than any copy, SS or otherwise, of Cerebus #1 in any grade 9.2 or below. No Cerebus #1, aside from the highest graded, has ever breached $3k. By analyzing the sparse data availible on Cerebus #1 in 9.2, an appraisal of $2300-$2800 for a Universal 9.2 seems reasonable. This may even be generous since most recorded sales are SS or a file copy. The most recent sale of 181, drug induced or not, would give that book an edge based strictly on the data.

You must compare apples to apples.

The sale of Cerebus #1 in 9.2 was in 2005....it handily beat Hulk #181. In fact, it would not be until 2008 that a Hulk #181 would sell for more than that 2005 sale of Cerebus #1 in 9.2. We can only go by what is available.

Would Cerebus #1 9.2 sell for more than a Hulk #181 9.2 today?

Don't know, but looking at the sales of 9.4, it's not outside of the realm of reason. I disagree that it is reasonable to conclude a $2300-$2800 price for a 9.2 copy now.

Facts:

( 9.4 ) Sgnt series/Signed by Dave Sim (Dave Sim File Copy) - - - - $7,768 Feb-2010

(1) $7,754Hi

(1) $10,600Hi

( 9.2 ) Sgnt series/Signed by Dave Sim (Dave Sim File Copy) - - - - $2,136 Nov-2005

These are facts, established and recorded. Do you dispute these facts? Because these are the facts to which I refer, not my opinion.

And I especially find it funny when a person reads his own view into my writings. You are batting 1000.

Please try not to be so easily offended, and ask before assuming an incorrect interpretation of what someone else has written. My "no" was not about Jaydog's understanding of your original post, but rather that it is "only in Overstreet" that such a conclusion can be reached.

My apologies for not cutting out the phrase " I think that's in line with the OP's original point too;" which led to your misunderstanding my post.

Really, do you own a copy of Cerebus 1? I can understand and appreciate your passion for the book.

You make the mistake of assuming I am arguing out of passion...perhaps because that is all you know? I do not argue out of passion, but out of reason, regardless of my personal feelings about both books.

But your textual interpretation of the OSPG, while a noble way of looking at it, is not exclusive. There's nothing wrong or illogical with looking at other factors beyond the text itself.

When you change the parameters of the original premise, and then use that to argue that the original premise is therefore wrong, that's irrational.

I see you disagree with that and your opinion has been noted. So please, stop trying to impress upon all of us here that you're the great defender of reason and logic. You made your point that you disagree with the position that some of us find credible.

I'm sorry that you are offended by this, but that doesn't change the fact that your position...that Cerebus #1 is only more valuable according to Overstreet, and that itself is an unreasonable conclusion for Overstreet to draw...is invalid.

Five sales in 10 years? Hulk 181 will sell that many in grade this week. RMA, I think you have inadvertently validated the OP's original point with the cited GPA data you have provided.

-J.

I guess we should remove Detective Comics 27 and Action Comics 1 from the Overstreet top GA lists too since they sell very few copies over the years. :baiting:

I get your point but it's not really an apples to apples comparison since those books' rarity is due to attrition and not a deliberately small original print run. Therefore it is a more level playing field as they are measured against most of the other GA titles on the list.

-J.

Facts:

(1) $7,754Hi

(1) $10,600Hi

-J.

It's difficult to escape that conclusion using that line of reasoning, is it not...?

;)

Your making the same mistake many dealers did in the old days of using the OSPG.

Assuming that if a vg is $5 and a fn is a $10, then a NM must be $20. It's wrong.

Facts:

(1) $7,754Hi

(1) $10,600Hi

-J.

I get your point but it's not really an apples to apples comparison since those books' rarity is due to attrition and not a deliberately small original print run. Therefore it is a more level playing field as they are measured against most of the other GA titles on the list.

-J.

hm

So, Cerebus #1 hasn't been subject to attrition?

What does "deliberately small" mean? Did Sim only want to print 2,000 copies, and no more, or was he forced to only print 2,000 copies, by economic concerns?

Does it really matter the cause of a book's rarity?

Does the law of supply and demand work differently, based on how many were originally made?

What does "more level playing field" mean? The only difference between the GA list in OPG and the other ages, is that OPG considers the top grade for many GA book to be very fine.

Otherwise, you can compare them, across the board, with any book from any other age, because the lists are based on their value in the highest grade, as reported by Overstreet.

Facts:

(1) $7,754Hi

(1) $10,600Hi

-J.

He's never going to get it.

Your making the same mistake many dealers did in the old days of using the OSPG.

Assuming that if a vg is $5 and a fn is a $10, then a NM must be $20. It's wrong.

Please elaborate, good sir. I'm not sure I follow you.

+1. This. So to use RMA's own logic, this one sale of Hulk 181 in a 9.2 should be enough to propel it past Cerebus #1 in next year's overstreet. :acclaim:

-J.

Facts:

(1) $7,754Hi

(1) $10,600Hi

-J.

He's never going to get it.

No, because your conclusions aren't reasonable, and aren't supported by either logic or data. I don't "get" unreasonable conclusions.

Sorry.

:(

+1. This. So to use RMA's own logic, this one sale of Hulk 181 in a 9.2 should be enough to propel it past Cerebus #1 in next year's overstreet. :acclaim:

-J.

You are using your own logic, not mine, as explained at length previously.

-J.

Further...following your line of reasoning above, Hulk #181 should already be above Cerebus #1, and should have been from 2008, the year of the first sale of a 9.2 Hulk #181 over the Cerebus #1 9.2.

"Exactly! Now you're getting it! We shouldn't even be HAVING this conversation!"

Except that you started with a flawed premise...that current sales of Hulk #181 can be directly compared to 9 year old sales of Cerebus #1, with no valuation estimates or extrapolations occurring for the Cerebus #1.

-J.

Not really. That hulk 181 9.2 beats the two sales of cerebus in a 9.2. By YOUR logic (and Overstreet) the hulk 181 will be more "valuable" on the list next year. Done and done. Though I am sure you will continue on with a whole new set of qualifiers.

-J.

I really don't understand how any reasonable person can't understand the simple facts you stated. If they haven't gotten it by now, its not going to get through.

I agree, but it does help me by keeping my rhetorical skills sharp, and giving me opportunities to approach a topic from many different angles, to see if any of them might stick.

Unfortunately, logic and reason have been overtaken by emotionalism and irrationality, which only does harm. People come to conclusions based on how they feel, rather than by a structured examination of the evidence, and this has led to untold suffering, both large scale and small, for humanity.

Aristotle was right.

Jaydog;

I think you guys should just take a look at the OS guide for these 2 listings and admit that Overstreet got it right, based upon the following:

1) Hulk 181 is signficantly more valuable than Cerebus 1 in the lower grades, with this differential decreasing on a percentage basis as we move up the grading scale, which actually reflects the rising price of Cerebus 1 in the real world as it becomes more scarce in nicer condition;

2) Cerebus 1 is more valuable than Hulk 181 in the HG 9.2 condition, as clearly evident by comparable historical sales in 9.2 and above;

3) Overstreet does not attempt to place a valuation for uber HG copies, and in particular, not for CGC 9.9 copies of any book;

4) The prices in the OS guide are reflective of comic book valuations, as opposed to comic book popularity; and

5) These valuations are not based upon the quantities of a particular book sold, otherwise the latest newstand issue of Action Comics would be worth more than Action Comics #1.

I know and completely understand that it must be hard for you to accept the above facts, but it's totally okay and actually healthy for you to admit that you are wrong every now and then. lol

-J.

Not really. That hulk 181 9.2 beats the two sales of cerebus in a 9.2. By YOUR logic (and Overstreet) the hulk 181 will be more "valuable" on the list next year. Done and done. Though I am sure you will continue on with a whole new set of qualifiers.

-J.

No. This is not my logic, it is solely your own, as already stated. You continuing to state that it is my logic doesn't make it any less so.

See "further" post above.

As far as "a whole new set of qualifiers"...Jaydog, I have to ask, are you used to talking in circles around the people in your life? Because you're a very good rhetorician, and the way you present your arguments, even though they don't rest on a foundation of logic, I imagine are quite compelling to people not used to dealing in a structured examination of details. You are quite a cut above the usual incoherent ramblings of many. Bravo!

Part of me thinks you don't really believe the statements you make, but are instead making them for effect. If that's the case, bravo! It's very, very difficult to fake that convincingly or consistently.

However...as has been said by others, you shouldn't try to wildly_fanciful_statement wildly_fanciful_statement_makers. You've more than met your rhetorical match with this board, I'm afraid.

;)

Jaydog;

I think you guys should just take a look at the OS guide for these 2 listings and admit that Overstreet got it right, based upon the following:

1) Hulk 181 is signficantly more valuable than Cerebus 1 in the lower grades, with this differential decreasing on a percentage basis as we move up the grading scale, which actually reflects the rising price of Cerebus 1 in the real world as it becomes more scarce in nicer condition;

2) Cerebus 1 is more valuable than Hulk 181 in the HG 9.2 condition, as clearly evident by comparable historical sales in 9.2 and above;

3) Overstreet does not attempt to place a valuation for uber HG copies, and in particular, not for CGC 9.9 copies of any book;

4) The prices in the OS guide are reflective of comic book valuations, as opposed to comic book popularity; and

5) These valuations are not based upon the quantities of a particular book sold, otherwise the latest newstand issue of Action Comics would be worth more than Action Comics #1.

I know and completely understand that it must be hard for you to accept the above facts, but it's totally okay and actually healthy for you to admit that you are wrong every now and then. lol

...and even in the world of Overstreet, using its own limited and selective methodology this is your game changer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-WHITE-PAGES-CGC-GRADED-9-2-NOVEMBER-1974-/400755267796?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5d4ee018d4

-J.