• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 67 or Thor 165?

173 posts in this topic

FF67 and Thor 165 being the first appearance of Warlock is like saying Marvel Super Heroes 13 is the first appearance of Ms. Marvel.

It is her first appearance :D:baiting:

But not the first appearance of Ms Marvel. OSPG refers to Thor 165 as "First appearance of Warlock (Him)". It's not. However, the guide states FF 67 is "1st Brief appearance of Him (Warlock)" - which is at least an improvement on accuracy. But they are still not the first appearance of Warlock. First appearance of Him - who would later become Warlock. Sadly, OSPG doesn't even comment on Marvel Premiere #1 being the first appearance of Warlock at all.

Anyways - it's one of those things that people's misconceptions define the book, and that's how it goes. I've been having this conversation with people since the 90s. My complaint is that there's no Marvel Premiere #1 in the poll.

Which is the First Appearance of Warlock. :baiting:

Which book do you think it deserves the title and will get more attentions?

Fantastic Four #67 Origin and 1st appearance of Him (Warlock) in cameo OR

Thor #165 1st full appearance of Him (Warlock)?

Neither one;

Marvel Premiere #1 is the first appearance of Adam Warlock. The Fantastic Four & Thor appearances are of "HIM", not Adam Warlock. I've re-read those and I can't understand why Overstreet & CGC keep saying Adam Warlock's first full appearance is in Thor. It is "HIM". He becomes Adam Warlock in Marvel Premiere #1. I don't have a copy now, but as I remember it starts with HIM in a cacoon, the High Evolutionary comes along, grabs him and "evolves" him into Adam Warlock and gives him the Soul Gem. That should be the Origin & 1st appearance of Adam Warlock.

:sumo:

Black Panther
This book has jumped already.

I'm talking about your run of the mill book that will increase because of what happens in the marvel cinematic universe.

I'm betting a bit on Ms. Marvel having a name-drop or something in Avengers 2. She's steadily made the climb with #1 gaining steam - but there's still some room left to grow, I think. Especially in the higher grades because that book has plenty of things that can go wrong with it to keep it out of grade.

Neither one;

Marvel Premiere #1 is the first appearance of Adam Warlock. The Fantastic Four & Thor appearances are of "HIM", not Adam Warlock. I've re-read those and I can't understand why Overstreet & CGC keep saying Adam Warlock's first full appearance is in Thor. It is "HIM". He becomes Adam Warlock in Marvel Premiere #1. I don't have a copy now, but as I remember it starts with HIM in a cacoon, the High Evolutionary comes along, grabs him and "evolves" him into Adam Warlock and gives him the Soul Gem. That should be the Origin & 1st appearance of Adam Warlock.

picard-cheers.jpg

Neither one;

picard-cheers.jpg

SOLIDARITY !!!!! :whee:

The first proper apperance of Adam Warlock is undobtedly Marvel Premiere #1.

Nonetheless, the relevance of Fantastic Four #66-67 over the Thors is undisputable: the Thors are a minor, incidental development on Him’s venture but nothing relevant as his origin. Almost nothing noteworthy happens, except that he kidnaps Sif while looking for a mate being his equal.

Nonetheless, the relevance of Fantastic Four #66-67 over the Thors is undisputable: the Thors are a minor, incidental development on Him’s venture but nothing relevant as his origin. Almost nothing noteworthy happens, except that he kidnaps Sif while looking for a mate being his equal.

When did he hatch out of his cocoon? I seem to remember him hatching twice-in FF and in Thor

When did he hatch out of his cocoon? I seem to remember him hatching twice-in FF and in Thor

He got back in the cocoon here and there. Same thing happened with Paragon and "Her". And yes, in Thor he gets back in the cocoon. Twice, IIRC. Before being rechristened as Warlock by the High Evolutionary to oppose the Man-Beast – all explained in retrospective in Marvel Premiere #1.

Well if he was officially named Warlock in Thor I can see why that's the hot book. That book is first High Evolutionary too right? And another first I can't remember.

No love for Marvel Premiere #1?

FF67 and Thor 165 being the first appearance of Warlock is like saying Marvel Super Heroes 13 is the first appearance of Ms. Marvel.

The only reason people are totally focused on these two books is because OSPG have mis-attributed his appearance for decades. They refer to those issues as "1st appearance of Warlock (HIM)". Which is incorrect, especially if you consider he's not called 'Warlock' until the 70s, nor does he have the personality or power set that he is known for until that time.

But, hey - why sweat the details?

FF # 67 = first appearance of Him (cameo)

Thor # 165 = first full appearance of Him

Marvel Premiere # 1 = Him becomes Adam Warlock

Well if he was officially named Warlock in Thor I can see why that's the hot book. That book is first High Evolutionary too right? And another first I can't remember.

It’s not named Warlock in Thor, and the first apperance of the High Evolutionary is #134, the first appearance of Man-Beast is #135.

All these events precede the developments Thomas would have conceived in Warlock #1.

Thor #164-165 are just an intermediary "interim" story where Thor clashes with "Him" while "Him" is still in search of his own path.

FF #66-67 (and partly #65, where the story somewhat starts in the background as Alicia is kidnapped by the scientist passing through the wall) is where everything starts and where Him/Warlock is "created". To say the Thors are more important just means one either has not even read the stories or doesn’t care for the character.