• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

I bought the book slabbed. It had been a 9.0 ep before I bought as a 9.2 ep

And now it's a 9.4. Man I love this hobby! :sick:

Not just a 9.4, but a 9.4 MP!

My ardor for the hobby increases even more! :ohnoez:

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

this tec27 9.2 won't go for anymore than 9.0 AC1 did several weeks ago.

detective-27.jpg

And here's some more info about the missing book.

Killer, could see this old label 8.0 being the new 9.2. Same can't be said of the Heritage 8.0, it may be close to it's final resting place with the erasure and piece out of the bottom of the spine.

I remember trying to figure out what the defects were when I was looking at the catalog. It looks better than the grade for sure.

Yeah, that top right corner could poke a kid's eye out! :o

I just looked pulled out the catalog and looked at the again and... based on the front cover I can't see anything obvious that would knock the book down all the way to 8.0.

Rob, isn't there tiny stresses in the red spine area? To me that negates any possible 9.2 grade (?). hm

Get with the program Tim. The days of untouched books in Blue or Purple slabs are over. doh!

detective-27.jpg

Killer, could see this old label 8.0 being the new 9.2. Same can't be said of the Heritage 8.0, it may be close to it's final resting place with the erasure and piece out of the bottom of the spine.

I remember trying to figure out what the defects were when I was looking at the catalog. It looks better than the grade for sure.

I just looked pulled out the catalog and looked at the again and... based on the front cover I can't see anything obvious that would knock the book down all the way to 8.0.

Rob, isn't there tiny stresses in the red spine area? To me that negates any possible 9.2 grade (?). hm

I'll post a big old scan of the Mastro book tomorrow.

And I'm not saying this is the 9.2 we're discussing. The Mastro book has always looked undergraded to me. It was an early book and there's a perception that the early grades were too harsh. To me this book looks like a prime example of that.

Of course, I've only ever seen the scan.

detective-27.jpg

I'll post a big old scan of the Mastro book tomorrow.

And I'm not saying this is the 9.2 we're discussing. The Mastro book has always looked undergraded to me. It was an early book and there's a perception that the early grades were too harsh. To me this book looks like a prime example of that.

Of course, I've only ever seen the scan.

The back cover could have some issues. But the front cover looks better than 8.0. (thumbs u

Have we forgotten that the restoration scale has gone from 3 classifications to 5? When a lot of these old label books were graded 10+ years ago the standards were markedly different, and not nearly as precise as they are now. I'm not surprised by the change at all.

A press, perhaps, and the application of the new standards resulted in the grade and resto level change

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

Don't be so certain that other members of comic land couldn't pay $5 million or more, if they were so inclined, for Dave's comic

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand. This is incorrect

My ardor for the hobby increases even more! :ohnoez:

My collecting spirit soars on the wings of your ardor :banana:

You really got a man crush on Fishler.

My guess is that there a number of collectors who have the money and inclination to buy Action 1. Two obvious examples who already have pretty good copies: Eric and Jack White.

Don't be so certain that other members of comic land couldn't pay $5 million or more, if they were so inclined, for Dave's comic

show me some evidence. right now there is none.

:facepalm:

Harvard has insight into everyone's bank accounts/liquidity.

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand. This is incorrect

show me some evidence. you've offered none. certainly it wouldn't be you.

The list is long and distinguished, much like my johnson