• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic-Con Still a 3 day con, Sept. 25-27, 2015

398 posts in this topic

This will be my first Baltimore show (which is sad cause I grew up an hour away but thankfully now am only 20 minutes away). I have a lot of books already sent off to some facilitators to be signed by all of the guys I'm gonna mention but I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into how busy this show gets.

I'm planning on going all three days and am hoping to get some trades and maybe a few more comics signed and was wondering if anyone could give me insight into how busy lines are for guys like Ron Marz, Mark Waid, Laura Martin, and Klaus Janson? Beyond just getting stuff, I'd just like to meet all of them because I love the work they did on the books.

So far I've only done bigger entertainment focused shows (wizard world Chicago/Raleigh, awesome con, Dallas fan days) so I've no real gauge for what a comic focused show is like, and I know this is apparently one of the final bastions.

Any other insight into this show would be appreciated (and if anyone wants insight into Baltimore in general not related to the show I can definetly supply that).

Thanks!

This will be my first Baltimore show (which is sad cause I grew up an hour away but thankfully now am only 20 minutes away). I have a lot of books already sent off to some facilitators to be signed by all of the guys I'm gonna mention but I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into how busy this show gets.

I'm planning on going all three days and am hoping to get some trades and maybe a few more comics signed and was wondering if anyone could give me insight into how busy lines are for guys like Ron Marz, Mark Waid, Laura Martin, and Klaus Janson? Beyond just getting stuff, I'd just like to meet all of them because I love the work they did on the books.

So far I've only done bigger entertainment focused shows (wizard world Chicago/Raleigh, awesome con, Dallas fan days) so I've no real gauge for what a comic focused show is like, and I know this is apparently one of the final bastions.

Any other insight into this show would be appreciated (and if anyone wants insight into Baltimore in general not related to the show I can definetly supply that).

Thanks!

Granted, this was at the Tampa Bay con, but Waid's line was fairly small. Then again, it was the first day of the con, a Friday, so take that with a grain of salt. Personally, I'm worried about a line for Scott Snyder, but that's neither here nor there.

Last year was the first time that Baltimore con was open on Friday and I gotta say, Friday was a delight. You can potentially get a lot done on Friday if all the guests you need show up. (The occasional guest is sat/sun only but clear majority are there all 3 days)

Last year, Ron Marz had very little to no line. Waids line was small to medium, can't remember Laura martins line. I've seen Jansons line at other shows like emerald city or NYCC and those were big but I think here it won't be insane.

That said, this is SUCH a creator friendly show that you will have 1 person ahead of you and it'll take 20 min because of the conversation between fan and creator. I think you'll enjoy this show.

Typically, expect Saturday to be the busiest day. The worst lines are for the more popular guests like Snyder, the Simonsons, Jim Starlin, Perez had a big line last year, that level. I was shocked to find that guys like John Totleben and Rick veitch, who rarely did shows, were easy to get and talk to on Friday and Saturday. Even Jose Luis Garcia Lopez was easy to meet on Friday last year.

Allow time for lines and conversations with the creator. Carry as much as you can on you, as all the parking lots are at least a little distance away in my opinion. Bring money, allow time to explore, decide on your top 5 must-dos and have fun! I love this show.

Last year was the first time that Baltimore con was open on Friday and I gotta say, Friday was a delight. You can potentially get a lot done on Friday if all the guests you need show up. (The occasional guest is sat/sun only but clear majority are there all 3 days)

Last year, Ron Marz had very little to no line. Waids line was small to medium, can't remember Laura martins line. I've seen Jansons line at other shows like emerald city or NYCC and those were big but I think here it won't be insane.

That said, this is SUCH a creator friendly show that you will have 1 person ahead of you and it'll take 20 min because of the conversation between fan and creator. I think you'll enjoy this show.

Typically, expect Saturday to be the busiest day. The worst lines are for the more popular guests like Snyder, the Simonsons, Jim Starlin, Perez had a big line last year, that level. I was shocked to find that guys like John Totleben and Rick veitch, who rarely did shows, were easy to get and talk to on Friday and Saturday. Even Jose Luis Garcia Lopez was easy to meet on Friday last year.

Allow time for lines and conversations with the creator. Carry as much as you can on you, as all the parking lots are at least a little distance away in my opinion. Bring money, allow time to explore, decide on your top 5 must-dos and have fun! I love this show.

Thanks for all the info, Joel! Ron Marz is the writer I most want to meet, Emerald Twilight is probably my favorite run of any storyline in DC.

looks like Jaime Hernandez is not going to be at Baltimore

:cry:

Schucks, he was at SDCC where we raided him of his copies of the self-published #1s :P

I've never had a book graded before, but I'm going to take advantage of the onsite grading in Baltimore. Any prep necessary, as in do I need to fill out any paperwork prior? Any tips for making the process go as smoothly as possible for both myself and CGC?

Be as early as possible.

I've never had a book graded before, but I'm going to take advantage of the onsite grading in Baltimore. Any prep necessary, as in do I need to fill out any paperwork prior? Any tips for making the process go as smoothly as possible for both myself and CGC?

Be as early as possible.

Just got this from CGC:

On Thursday September 24th at the Baltimore Comic Con during exhibitor setup, CGC will be open and taking books in for On-site grading for dealers only. We request that any and all dealers hoping to submit their books for on-site grading do so on Thursday.

After Thursday we will make the On-site grading service available to general public only to ensure that everyone gets a fair chance to get their books graded. If space allows, we will take dealer submissions after the show opens on Friday and Saturday, but you will have to check at the CGC booth #707 on that day.

:golfclap:

This changes everything for me. I was hoping to glom a dealer's pass gratis and use it to get in early to sub. But I wonder if this means I cannot sub if I have a dealer's badge, or can I sub as long as I do not have a dealer account. Hmmm. thoughts? Mayhaps a call to them tomorrow is necessary.