• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

28384230854_a4ee1b1aa8_o.jpg

One has an Oscar the other doesn't.

So what? That has nothing to do with this comparison.

One was hyped, and failed. The other wasn't hyped, and succeeded.

Matter of opinion. to even compare the two is silly

I thought the movie was pretty good. Yes, the -script was weak, the CGI was on a par with movies from the nineties, and the Enchantress was not used well. But the chemistry between the cast made it work for me. I didn't even mind Leto's Joker, but he was in so few scenes that it was hard to get a completely accurate impression.

An interesting analysis concerning what is seeming to be a steady trend of second weekend drop-off for movies.

FORBES.COM: 'Suicide Squad' and the Summer of Steep Second-Week Drops

Critics and their opinions don't entirely explain why second-weekend declines are getting bigger overall. Alarm bells first started going off two summers ago when a handful of films were hit by even bigger drops despite strong reviews. And the way movies are marketed and consumed, altering movie-going habits, also appear to be factors.

"Studios spend so much time and effort getting the word out for opening weekend that business plateaus and it simply cannot sustain itself in the weeks that follow. Why? Every weekend, especially in the summer, there's a new 'event' populating theaters," says box-office analyst Jeff Bock.

"And the way social media marauders work these days — and not just millennials — they simply devour the offering and move on. Repeat business isn't a big part of the equation anymore," Bock continues.

And the season's top-grossing title worldwide is Disney and Marvel's Captain America: Civil War with a global total of $1.15 billion, including $407.5 million in North America, where its second weekend dip was 59.5 percent after a massive $179.1 million debut.

While that's a fine hold by today's standards, it doesn't compare to Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, which opened to $158 million in summer 2008 and fell 53 percent on its way to grossing $533.3 million domestically and $1 billion worldwide. The Dark Knight's Rotten Tomatoes rating is 94 percent, only a few points ahead of the 90 percent for Civil War.

The movie field is more crowded than ever before, requiring top performance or viewers will move on.

Yes - but there's also a now-consistent difference in the expected / average 2nd-weekend drops between Marvel & DC movies (of 57% vs. 67%).

I'm not trying to stoke a DC vs. Marvel fire here as I want great movies from both but:

"The Marvel Cinematic Universe movies usually drop 55-60% on the second weekend. Be they released by Paramount/Viacom Inc., Universal, or Walt Disney, are remarkably consistent offerings, except for MCU movies (The Avengers, Iron Man, Thor) that fall closer to 50% on weekend two.

Comparatively for DC Comics, we’ve had Watchmen (-67.7% in weekend two), Jonah Hex (69.7%), Green Lantern (-66.1%), The Dark Knight Rises (-61.4%), Man of Steel (-67.9% using the full $128m opening weekend), Batman v Superman (-69.1%), and now Suicide Squad (-67.2%).

That’s a very different kind of consistency, especially if you remove Chris Nolan’s Batman finale from the equation. The DC movies are not playing like the MCU or a general audiences franchise. They are playing like Twilight Saga sequels.

As long as they are budgeted with that expectation in mind, with a fan-fueled mega-opener followed by a quick fade, that’s okay."

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/14/box-office-suicide-squad-tumbles-67-for-43-77m-weekend/#444f6c474f83

Yes - but there's also a now-consistent difference in the expected / average 2nd-weekend drops between Marvel & DC movies (of 57% vs. 67%).

I'm not trying to stoke a DC vs. Marvel fire here as I want great movies from both but:

"The Marvel Cinematic Universe movies usually drop 55-60% on the second weekend. Be they released by Paramount/Viacom Inc., Universal, or Walt Disney, are remarkably consistent offerings, except for MCU movies (The Avengers, Iron Man, Thor) that fall closer to 50% on weekend two.

Comparatively for DC Comics, we’ve had Watchmen (-67.7% in weekend two), Jonah Hex (69.7%), Green Lantern (-66.1%), The Dark Knight Rises (-61.4%), Man of Steel (-67.9% using the full $128m opening weekend), Batman v Superman (-69.1%), and now Suicide Squad (-67.2%).

That’s a very different kind of consistency, especially if you remove Chris Nolan’s Batman finale from the equation. The DC movies are not playing like the MCU or a general audiences franchise. They are playing like Twilight Saga sequels.

As long as they are budgeted with that expectation in mind, with a fan-fueled mega-opener followed by a quick fade, that’s okay."

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/14/box-office-suicide-squad-tumbles-67-for-43-77m-weekend/#444f6c474f83

I think you may have missed the point of the article because you gravitated back to the DC/Marvel thing you said you weren't trying to focus on.

What the article was noting is even though Suicide Squad experienced a substantial 2nd weekend drop, the industry was noting this is becoming a trend for even the big movie hits compared to films from only a few years ago. It wasn't an article making an excuse for Suicide Squad's 67% drop in the domestic market.

The general market - not the DC/Marvel market only.

Final weekend numbers are in. Turns out the worldwide total was higher than the estimate by $640,741.

Based on this weekend's estimates. And it still have four markets remaining, even without China.

Xkjscfd.png

Remaining box office releases:

Germany: 18 August 2016

Austria: 19 August 2016

Greece: 25 August 2016

Japan: 10 September 2016

XbAKR3g.png

Missing quite a few DC movies on that list. Talk about cherry picking.

2) Not every film needs a Director's Cut. My case for this is Donnie Darko. The Director's Cut dumbed down the film significantly by over-explaining how the time travel worked. Took the audience for .

I can agree with this.

I liked it the first time I watched it, but then realized it was somewhat patronizing during the second watch.

Your opinions on s.Darko?

True - the comparison isn't exact because it doesn't include Nolan's first two Batman movies, whereas it does include Marvel from 2008 on.

And Bosco - the Forbes article I quoted was different than yours.

In mine the point was _precisely_ that Suicide Squad's 67% drop now forms enough of a trend line to show that DC movies (including Dark Knight Rises but perhaps excluding Batman Begins & the Dark Knight) drop ~67% on second weekend vs. Marvel movies dropping ~57% (including the Disney, X-Men & Hulk films -- although for some reason he excludes the Spider-Man ones).

Either way, I think all of us should read another piece he published today, "Dear Suicide Squad Fans: You Deserved a Better Movie."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/15/dear-suicide-squad-fans-you-deserved-a-better-movie/#711f6d481266

He echoes my thoughts nearly entirely, but the overall point of this piece is, if we have entered a new era of Hollywood blockbuster film-making whereby _every_ tentpole opens big & experiences a huge drop in the second weekend, then quality doesn't matter so Marvel & DC have no reason _not_ to go with auteur directors and _truly_ make these films for the die-hard fans (a la, by my lights, Watchmen, Blade 2, etc.).

"...there is no reason for a studio to try to make a version other than the one the filmmakers wanted to make. If you aren’t going to get the post-opening legs anyway, you’re better off releasing the more tonally and narratively coherent version. Suicide Squad is a huge hit, but now Warner Bros. is on the defensive regarding its reputation as a filmmaker-friendly studio."

"I don’t know if a specifically “for the fans” Suicide Squad movie would have been better or performed better beyond its superb opening weekend. But if legs aren’t an issue, then there is no reason for the studio not to allow the filmmakers it hires a certain amount of discretion. Moreover, the theatrical film was not “for the fans,” but rather a compromised product that came about as a result of studio panic and short sightedness. As someone who grew up with DC Comics and devoured every book, movie, or cartoon I could get my hands on, all I want is a DC Films universe that is better than the one we’ve got. Come what may, the fans deserve a better class of superhero movie."

Amen

Ummm.....this might be silly to ask, but what movie is the dude on the bottom from? I don't recall ever seeing it.

Either way, I think all of us should read another piece he published today, "Dear Suicide Squad Fans: You Deserved a Better Movie."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/15/dear-suicide-squad-fans-you-deserved-a-better-movie/#711f6d481266

He echoes my thoughts nearly entirely, but the overall point of this piece is, if we have entered a new era of Hollywood blockbuster film-making whereby _every_ tentpole opens big & experiences a huge drop in the second weekend, then quality doesn't matter so Marvel & DC have no reason _not_ to go with auteur directors and _truly_ make these films for the die-hard fans (a la, by my lights, Watchmen, Blade 2, etc.).

"...there is no reason for a studio to try to make a version other than the one the filmmakers wanted to make. If you aren’t going to get the post-opening legs anyway, you’re better off releasing the more tonally and narratively coherent version. Suicide Squad is a huge hit, but now Warner Bros. is on the defensive regarding its reputation as a filmmaker-friendly studio."

"I don’t know if a specifically “for the fans” Suicide Squad movie would have been better or performed better beyond its superb opening weekend. But if legs aren’t an issue, then there is no reason for the studio not to allow the filmmakers it hires a certain amount of discretion. Moreover, the theatrical film was not “for the fans,” but rather a compromised product that came about as a result of studio panic and short sightedness. As someone who grew up with DC Comics and devoured every book, movie, or cartoon I could get my hands on, all I want is a DC Films universe that is better than the one we’ve got. Come what may, the fans deserve a better class of superhero movie."

Amen

I read that earlier today. One of his points made is at times, the fans get what they demand. And not always for the better.

Remember, the fans are the ones who complained about Tobey Maguire’s organic web shooters in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man. The “fans” were the first (and last) to complain about Daniel Craig being cast as James Bond back in the day. The fans were the first to decry Batman & Robin not just as a bad movie but as a slap in the face to comic book fandom. The comic book fans, for better or worse, are the ones who hold up the 2.5-star Spider-Man 3 as one of the worst movies ever made. Ditto the Star Wars prequels, the fourth Indiana Jones movie, and the Hobbit trilogy. No one was harder on them than the biggest of big fans.

When you look at the original Tim Burton Batman films, which were very much successful and profitable (especially the first at 11.8X budget), it was the feedback from viewers ("Batman movie fans") that led to a radical change in direction to a comic book-like approach going forward. Which then resulted in trash films.

6 Reasons We Never Got A Third Tim Burton BATMAN Movie

1. Are McDonald's Happy Meals For Children: Parents complaining a dark Batman movie appearing on Happy Meal cups.

2. PETA Bites Back: The 'bird in the mouth' trick exploded into animal cruelty claims.

3. Family Friendly Movies Rules: Make it more mainstream so the entire family could see it.

4. "Batman Light" Wouldn’t Work With Burton Directing: Time to find someone that could make a 'fun and light comic book movie'.

Overcorrect your course direction and you land in 'HERE THERE BE MONSTERS - AND BAD MOVIES!'

Ummm.....this might be silly to ask, but what movie is the dude on the bottom from? I don't recall ever seeing it.

It's not from a movie, it's a pic of Punisher in Daredevil Season 2.

"...there is no reason for a studio to try to make a version other than the one the filmmakers wanted to make. If you arent going to get the post-opening legs anyway, youre better off releasing the more tonally and narratively coherent version. Suicide Squad is a huge hit, but now Warner Bros. is on the defensive regarding its reputation as a filmmaker-friendly studio."

"I dont know if a specifically for the fans Suicide Squad movie would have been better or performed better beyond its superb opening weekend. But if legs arent an issue, then there is no reason for the studio not to allow the filmmakers it hires a certain amount of discretion. Moreover, the theatrical film was not for the fans, but rather a compromised product that came about as a result of studio panic and short sightedness. As someone who grew up with DC Comics and devoured every book, movie, or cartoon I could get my hands on, all I want is a DC Films universe that is better than the one weve got. Come what may, the fans deserve a better class of superhero movie."

Amen

I read that earlier today. One of his points made is at times, the fans get what they demand. And not always for the better.

Remember, the fans are the ones who complained about Tobey Maguires organic web shooters in Sam Raimis Spider-Man. The fans were the first (and last) to complain about Daniel Craig being cast as James Bond back in the day. The fans were the first to decry Batman & Robin not just as a bad movie but as a slap in the face to comic book fandom. The comic book fans, for better or worse, are the ones who hold up the 2.5-star Spider-Man 3 as one of the worst movies ever made. Ditto the Star Wars prequels, the fourth Indiana Jones movie, and the Hobbit trilogy. No one was harder on them than the biggest of big fans.

When you look at the original Tim Burton Batman films, which were very much successful and profitable (especially the first at 11.8X budget), it was the feedback from viewers ("Batman movie fans") that led to a radical change in direction to a comic book-like approach going forward. Which then resulted in trash films.

6 Reasons We Never Got A Third Tim Burton BATMAN Movie

1. Are McDonald's Happy Meals For Children: Parents complaining a dark Batman movie appearing on Happy Meal cups.

2. PETA Bites Back: The 'bird in the mouth' trick exploded into animal cruelty claims.

3. Family Friendly Movies Rules: Make it more mainstream so the entire family could see it.

4. "Batman Light" Wouldnt Work With Burton Directing: Time to find someone that could make a 'fun and light comic book movie'.

Overcorrect your course direction and you land in 'HERE THERE BE MONSTERS - AND BAD MOVIES!'

overcorrection is definitely a danger. While I didn't love BvS, I'm not necessarily in favor of Warner Bros forcing Zack Snyder to 'marvelize' the Justice League movie. The tone of MOS and BvS was an issue, but I would contend that the actual plots/pacing/editing were more of an issue than the dark stylization and tone, and the plot/editing/pacing were the biggest problems with SS. Without addressing the screenwriting and direction, overcorrecting the dark themes and tones will not have the desired effect in my opinion.

Okay. I have not watched the Daredevil TV show.

Okay. I have not watched the Daredevil TV show.

The one that has an oscar has been accused of raping how many women?

Oh thats right... seven. SEVEN Women online have accused Leto of rape.