• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Between the International Box Office update provided by Box Office Guru...

1RW8SfT.png

:o

...and the Domestic Box Office update for Wednesday's numbers, here is where the film is at right now.

QXWt7By.png

65KIc6v.png

Remaining box office releases:

Egypt: 10 August 2016

Denmark: 11 August 2016

Pakistan: 12 August 2016

Turkey: 12 August 2016

Italy: 13 August 2016

Germany: 18 August 2016

Austria: 19 August 2016

Greece: 25 August 2016

Japan: 10 September 2016

Germany and Japan especially would be a nice bump in results.

Yeah, so yesterday's take was $1.7 million ahead of Batman v. Superman's first Wednesday, and $1.2 million ahead of Deadpool's.

Given how hard it fell (percentage-wise) in its first three days, I think this is the "teenagers out of school" differential, rather than any indicator of long-term legs.

The only thing I can say about the grill and overall Joker look is it is less stupid than removing his face then having it "clipped" back on.

That is a very good point!

Yeah, so yesterday's take was $1.7 million ahead of Batman v. Superman's first Wednesday, and $1.2 million ahead of Deadpool's.

Given how hard it fell (percentage-wise) in its first three days, I think this is the "teenagers out of school" differential, rather than any indicator of long-term legs.

Maybe...But...

It's also an August movie, the biggest August start ever, not the March blockbuster opening weekend of BVS. It's doing this in a month that only GOTG had ever really conquered as a massive opening. It's almost doubled the #3 August opening ever. Blockbusters just don't happen in August.

And it has $75 million less budget than BVS.

This movie is a winning hit already. Why are we as comic fans surprised that Harley Quinn and Deadpool have the two biggest breakout movies of the year?

A whole generation of younger people have grown up reading stuff like Deathnote and playing games like Arkham Asylum - they don't want Batman Adventures. They want sick, crude, demented violence and perverse humor. I can't even imagine what's next.

Maybe...But...

It's also an August movie, the biggest August start ever, not the March blockbuster opening weekend of BVS. It's doing this in a month that only GOTG had ever really conquered as a massive opening. It's almost doubled the #3 August opening ever. Blockbusters just don't happen in August.

This movie is a winning hit already. Why are we as comic fans surprised that Harley Quinn and Deadpool have the two biggest breakout movies of the year?

A whole generation of younger people have grown up reading stuff like Deathnote and playing games like Arkham Asylum - they don't want Batman Adventures. They want sick, crude, demented violence and perverse humor. I can't even imagine what's next.

The end of days?

Probably the same thing your parents thought when they first heard Heavy Metal lol

Maybe...But...

The end of days?

Probably the same thing your parents thought when they first heard Heavy Metal lol

And before that the Beatles.

And before that Elvis.

And before that Jazz.

Etc.

Just saw a sold out 8:00 showing - solid movie that I can see doing well. Definitely a bunch of heart felt moments and my family loved it. Definitely not in Guardians of the Galaxy realm but a good movie. Wife and daughter loved Harley and of course Will Smith was fantastic. Little weak in the plot department but way better the the Rotten Tomatoe rating.

Edited by 1Cool

Maybe...But...

If that's the case, they would have walked away disappointed from Suicide Squad :shrug:

My chief criticism about the movie was that it was boring - it started out fine, but quickly devolved into a cookie-cutter save-the-world plot with a c-level villain.

I read negative things about jared leto's joker but i thought he was great, they have to make a joker, harley quinn movie next imo

Joker is by far the worse part of the Suicide Squad. Was not blown away by Boomerang but the Joker was just plain dumb. Not sure if even Harley can save that movie if they get one.

Maybe...But...

If that's the case, they would have walked away disappointed from Suicide Squad :shrug:

My chief criticism about the movie was that it was boring - it started out fine, but quickly devolved into a cookie-cutter save-the-world plot with a c-level villain.

Agree, third act not so good, which is something it has in common with a lot of even good superhero movies.

Maybe...But...

It's going to be boring to any of us who actually read, or want something more... heck, most of all of these superhero movies are pretty vapid... But so much of this younger generation is satisfied with the lame storylines used in video games, that the movie will seem cool just because it looks the part. A new young society hypnotized by their smart phones and computers, who only need the illusion to give approval. Heck, Deadpool was a star even before his movie, from people who only knew him from pictures on the internet and who had never read the comic.

It's a different audience.

Agree, third act not so good, which is something it has in common with a lot of even good superhero movies.

But what is interesting when comparing to the average superhero movie is females are the ones rating this film higher. IMDb viewers are giving this a 6.9/10.0, but when you check the high scores across the different age groups and genders the differences are reversed.

vqjVP1j.png

Is the Harley character much more appreciated by females over males?

But what is interesting when comparing to the average superhero movie is females are the ones rating this film higher. IMDb viewers are giving this a 6.9/10.0, but when you check the high scores across the different age groups and genders the differences are reversed.

vqjVP1j.png

Is the Harley character much more appreciated by females over males?

Yes, particularly young millenials. For some reason, they think a "smart", used and abused by the Joker, bat-poop crazy female is somehow and empowering figure.

:facepalm: