• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

If the Wonder Woman and Justice League trailers were any indication of the after-effect, the DCEU seems to have adjusted its direction.

Maybe. I'm excited for those based on what we've seen.

But recall that the first trailer for Suicide Squad was _amazing_ -- only for the final product to be mess.

I really hope we don't have the same situation with Wonder Woman.

:wishluck:

I guarantee the same critics who vilified Suicide Squad,BvS and Man of Steel will be at it again for Wonder Woman. I expect them to go after Wonder Woman, maybe even more than SS because Wonder Woman is an iconic character,while SS was a bunch of unknowns to mainstream for the part.

Also,

I was looking at Rotten Tomatoes and these same critics who toasted SS,MoS and BvS gave the new GhostBusters reboot a 73% which is much higher than the DC movies. :o

Apparently though mainstream disagreed with them,as the Ghostbuster reboot bombed,while the DC movies were big hits! (thumbs u

If the Wonder Woman and Justice League trailers were any indication of the after-effect, the DCEU seems to have adjusted its direction.

Maybe. I'm excited for those based on what we've seen.

But recall that the first trailer for Suicide Squad was _amazing_ -- only for the final product to be mess.

I really hope we don't have the same situation with Wonder Woman.

:wishluck:

I guarantee the same critics who vilified Suicide Squad,BvS and Man of Steel will be at it again for Wonder Woman. I expect them to go after Wonder Woman, maybe even more than SS because Wonder Woman is an iconic character,while SS was a bunch of unknowns to mainstream for the part.

Also,

I was looking at Rotten Tomatoes and these same critics who toasted SS,MoS and BvS gave the new GhostBusters reboot a 73% which is much higher than the DC movies. :o

Apparently though mainstream disagreed with them,as the Ghostbuster reboot bombed,while the DC movies were big hits! (thumbs u

Arrr...on this the greatest of Talk Like A Pirate Day celebrations, critics shall proclaim their love of Ghostbusters.

tumblr_myn51ztr3a1sgqn3qo6_1280.gif

:ohnoez:

Also,

Wait, what?

A far simpler explanation than some sort of widespread Disney-Marvel conspiracy to villify the recent DCU movies is:

They just

Weren't. That. Good.

I liked Man of Steel a lot (for instance, it was far better than Superman III, IV or Returns).

But his killing Zod at the end was antithetical to _everything_ the characters' stood for since at least the mid-50s. (Even accounting for Bosco & others' explanation of innocence lost in the evolution of the character. He still shouldn't murder. Ever.)

That was a much bigger afront than what IM3 did to the Mandarin.

And again, those same critics lauded The Dark Knight and the Dark Knight -- maybe because, unlike BvS, SS, and the Ghostbusters reboot, the films were (gasp!) _good_.

This isn't rocket surgery.

And no one's out to get the Wonder Woman movie.

Yeesh...

What SS has proven is almost no one cares what the critics say when they hear good things from their friends or co-workers. The critics could have given SS a 10 score and the movie still would have done 700 mil since it was a fun movie that resonated with young people and had a ok plot. Wonder Woman could also get panned but guess what - it doesn't matter if the general public likes it and people continue to go to it months after it comes out.

Edited by 1Cool

What SS has proved is almost no one cares what the critics say when they hear good things from their friends or co-workers. The critics could have given SS a 10 score and the movie still would have done 700 mil since it was a fun movie that resonated with young people and had a ok plot. Wonder Woman could also get panned but guess what - it doesn't matter if the general public likes it and people continue to go to it months after it comes out.

I generally agree, this wasn't a great movie by any stretch, but it generally gave the audience what they wanted. Which is Harley doing Harley things, some gangsta Joker, some Viola Davis being a thug, Will Smith going back to his Will Smithiness, and a surprisingly cool fire character, and a goth scantily clad Cara Delavigne. Expectations were lowered after MoS and BvS. The fact that the other characters weren't so developed...most of the audience didn't go for them anyways, they were just hoping for a chance to smile at a DC movie. Which thankfully, we got. Certainly, one can look at this as a success, most likely making more than expected, and beating some pretty notable movies. But one can also look at this and say...THEY REALLY MISSED A CHANCE WITH MOS AND BVS, if THIS movie made THIS much money.

What SS has proved is almost no one cares what the critics say when they hear good things from their friends or co-workers. The critics could have given SS a 10 score and the movie still would have done 700 mil since it was a fun movie that resonated with young people and had a ok plot. Wonder Woman could also get panned but guess what - it doesn't matter if the general public likes it and people continue to go to it months after it comes out.

I generally agree, this wasn't a great movie by any stretch, but it generally gave the audience what they wanted. Which is Harley doing Harley things, some gangsta Joker, some Viola Davis being a thug, Will Smith going back to his Will Smithiness, and a surprisingly cool fire character, and a goth scantily clad Cara Delavigne. Expectations were lowered after MoS and BvS. The fact that the other characters weren't so developed...most of the audience didn't go for them anyways, they were just hoping for a chance to smile at a DC movie. Which thankfully, we got. Certainly, one can look at this as a success, most likely making more than expected, and beating some pretty notable movies. But one can also look at this and say...THEY REALLY MISSED A CHANCE WITH MOS AND BVS, if THIS movie made THIS much money.

MOS and BVS were just not fun movies. Dark, brooding movies just do not do well in the box office and DC seemed to have cornered the market in those type of comic movies. Light fun movies like GOG, Iron Man, Deadpool and now SS are what people want from a comic book movie in my opinion.

MOS and BVS were just not fun movies. Dark, brooding movies just do not do well in the box office and DC seemed to have cornered the market in those type of comic movies. Light fun movies like GOG, Iron Man, Deadpool and now SS are what people want from a comic book movie in my opinion.

I haven't seen it ( waiting for the rental ), but I have not heard a single person that I know say something good about this movie and a lot of them have liked comic book movies that I hated. The most positive review one of my friends who's into comics gave it was "it's OK". I'm not happy or sad it's done so well at the BO, I'm more perplexed than anything.

I haven't seen it ( waiting for the rental ), but I have not heard a single person that I know say something good about this movie and a lot of them have liked comic book movies that I hated. The most positive review one of my friends who's into comics gave it was "it's OK". I'm not happy or sad it's done so well at the BO, I'm more perplexed than anything.

I saw it and enjoyed it - solid B/B- movie in my opinion. Definitely not the best comic book movie of all time but leaps and bounds about the critics rating. Went with my wife and 13 year old daughter and they liked it better then I did which is saying a lot since I'm usually the one who likes that type of flick.

Edited by 1Cool

I still stand by my review.

Just got back from the 5:25 show. The theater was a little over half full.

Now that was a lot of fun without too much deep thought throughout the film. It is the actors and their characters that make this a lot of fun, along with the side villain being Waller all the way through.

That was really cool that the main action was taking place at the John Ostrander Building (creator of the Modern Suicide Squad).

- Harley, Deadshot and El Diablo are definitely the characters to watch

- The Joker was in it just enough to build the backstory about Harley and their crazy fixation on one another

- Amanda Waller is just EVIL!!!

- Rick Flag's love for June Moone was very well portrayed

- When they say Deadshot hates Batman, they are not kidding

- Katana also has a very sad backstory that I would like to see played out more

- Killer Croc was solid - and deadly

- El Diablo's backstory is really emotional but makes the character pop

- The Flash appearance was SO COOL - he took out Captain Boomerang like a champ!

- Mid-credit scene was good, as it leads into the Justice League

Overall rating: 7.0/10.0 :whee:

The story being so disjointed at times is what keeps this from being a great movie. But it is still loads of fun.

Not the 8.5 I gave Civil War, nor the 9.0 I would give Batman v Superman: The Ultimate Edition. But it was like Deadpool in that you had a bunch of crazy characters without much deep plot points to follow. Just with Deadpool you had a whole bunch of foul language jokes that made it funny when mixing in a straight character like Colossus not knowing what was going on and Negasonic Teenage Warhead as the semi-straight character that was taking it all in in preparation for sharing with her New Mutants friends.

Also,

Wait, what?

A far simpler explanation than some sort of widespread Disney-Marvel conspiracy to villify the recent DCU movies is:

They just

Weren't. That. Good.

I liked Man of Steel a lot (for instance, it was far better than Superman III, IV or Returns).

But his killing Zod at the end was antithetical to _everything_ the characters' stood for since at least the mid-50s. (Even accounting for Bosco & others' explanation of innocence lost in the evolution of the character. He still shouldn't murder. Ever.)

That was a much bigger afront than what IM3 did to the Mandarin.

And again, those same critics lauded The Dark Knight and the Dark Knight -- maybe because, unlike BvS, SS, and the Ghostbusters reboot, the films were (gasp!) _good_.

This isn't rocket surgery.

And no one's out to get the Wonder Woman movie.

Yeesh...

I was fine with him killing Zod. How else was it going to end? They suddenly decide to sit down and sing kumbaya by a campfire together at the Kent farm? lol

The whole point was he had to choose between Earth and Krypton - he made a choice.

That being said, critics are irrelevant and sheeple for the most part. As soon as one of them gets a hate on for a film franchise or studio a bunch of others will follow.

And don't kid yourself that the studios will not influence critics views. It is smart business.

Edited by kimik

Final numbers for the weekend, and once again the estimates were lower than actual results (+ $892K).

UyzTMN8.png

S6cfxzY.png

mrvJK6y.png

This is without China. Suicide Squad would have done 1 billion with China.

This big box office shows DC characters are the game.

(thumbs u

Force Awakens does $125 million in China but Suicide Squad would have done $250 million? hm

Jim

I wouldn't go that far. But maximum it may have added $90-$100MM to the worldwide total based on other superhero movies and the reception they received. Though with Iron Man 3 that has special cause involved due to the additional Chinese footage and extensive marketing targeting the area.

aIOSYAX.png

:o

Can you imagine how much more cash SS would have brought in if the movie is half as good as Cap WS?

Since the top two Marvel Studios films for me are Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, I would say it would be at least $718MM.

:insane:

Suicide Squad was really hyped up before its release too - lots of anticipation for Harley Quinn from horny fanboys for sure ;) . Winter Soldier on the other hand was a surprise success - new directors and a follow up to the mediocre 1st Cap movie.

I really wasn't counting on this to be some massive success like it is turning into. Especially when the movie was critiqued so horrible. But it definitely was entertaining for me, and introduced quite a few characters that I would like to see used in better told stories in the future.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is definitely 'top of the heap' when it comes to action-packed and well-told storytelling. If anything, hopefully this proves to the DCEU executives if they can combine solid stories with interesting characters, it can be just as successful.

No, it'll prove to them that they DON'T have to combine solid stories with interesting characters.

Thanks, SS lovers! :taptaptap::censored:

Marvel already realized this when they released Iron Man 3. Why should DC be any different? (shrug)

...But his killing Zod at the end was antithetical to _everything_ the characters' stood for since at least the mid-50s. (Even accounting for Bosco & others' explanation of innocence lost in the evolution of the character. He still shouldn't murder. Ever.)...

It was either Zod or the family Zod was trying to vaporise with his heat vision. When it's in defence of innocent people, it's not murder.

Is anyone else here hoping it beats BvS domestically? Looks like there's a chance... if it can stay in those theaters for a few more weeks....

Edited by Revat