• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Suicide Squad estimated to still be in the domestic Top 10 this weekend in its ninth weekend.

‘Miss Peregrine’ Rules With $26M; ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Raises To $20M; ‘Masterminds’ Dumbs Down

1). Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children (FOX), 3,522 theaters / $9M Fri. (includes Thursday previews of $1.2M)/ 3-day cume: $26M / Wk 1

2). Deepwater Horizon (LG), 3,259 theaters / $7M Fri. (includes $860K Thursday previews) / 3-day cume: $20M / Wk 2

3). Magnificent Seven (SONY), 3,674 theaters / $4.6M Fri. (-64%) / 3-day cume: $15.6M (-55%)/Total cume: $61.5M/ Wk 2

4). Storks (WB), 3,922 theaters / $3.2M Fri. (-45%) /3-day cume: $14M (-34%) /Total: $39M/ Wk 2

5). Sully (WB), 3,717 theaters (-238)/ $2.5M Fri. (-40%)/ 3-day cume: $8.2M (-39%)/Total: $105.2M / Wk 4

6). Masterminds (REL), 3,042 theaters / $2.3M Fri. (includes $265K previews)/ 3-day cume: $6.4M / Wk 1

7). Don’t Breathe (SONY), 1,653 theaters (-785) / $670K Fri. (-39%) / 3-day cume: $2.3M (-39%)/ Total cume: $84.7M / Wk 6

8). Bridget Jones’s Baby (UNI), 2,055 theaters (-875) / $712K Fri. (-52%)/ 3-day cume: $2.2M (-49%)/Total Cume:$20.9M/ Wk 3

9). Queen of Katwe (DIS), 1,242 theaters (+1190) / $706K Fri. (+7802%)/ 3-day cume: $2.1M (+6072%) / Total cume: $2.58M / Wk 2

10). Suicide Squad (WB), 1,638 theaters (-534) / $459K Fri. (-43%) / 3-day cume: $1.8M (-42%) / Total cume: $320.8M / Wk 9

So it looks like Squad will end up doing $1.9m this weekend.

Compare that to other Supermovies in their 9th weekend:

BvS: $310k

GotG: $3.77m

DPool: $2.09m

DKR: $2.18m

AoU: $1.69m

Cap:CW: $770k

pretty strong showing for a weak IP. (and yes I know it says a little something about this seasons competition too)

So it looks like Squad will end up doing $1.9m this weekend.

Compare that to other Supermovies in their 9th weekend:

BvS: $310k

GotG: $3.77m

DPool: $2.09m

DKR: $2.18m

AoU: $1.69m

Cap:CW: $770k

pretty strong showing for a weak IP. (and yes I know it says a little something about this seasons competition too)

Taking a look at the CW and BvS performance relative to SS, DP and even GotG, the take home could also be that more variety is needed in comic book movies.

CW was a better movie than the steaming turd that AoU is/was, yet it did not do anywhere near the same numbers in week 9 despite being another Avengers movie. There may be some fatigue setting in with these characters now. It will be interesting to see how Dr. Strange does. I am worried it will not connect with the masses due to the magic/fantasy theme, but if it succeeds then we will hopefully see both studios look at expanding beyond their core heroes.

And I was wondering if it would go as high as $725MM.

Domestic: $320,845,629 (43.4%)

Foreign: $418,000,000 (56.6%)

Worldwide: $738,845,629

:o

I gave up on where SS run was going to end in $$$ sometime ago.

The fact that it has come so close to BvS is great news for DC. It is funny how quickly the hater critics have quieted down since the movie has been doing so well at the box office..... lol

I gave up on where SS run was going to end in $$$ sometime ago.

And that is with no Japanese box office updates since 9/25, and still no Chinese box office commitment (which is probably a pipe dream at this point).

The fact that it has come so close to BvS is great news for DC. It is funny how quickly the hater critics have quieted down since the movie has been doing so well at the box office..... lol

I will speak for the "hater critics" so you know we're still here. :grin:

1) Did not make the Top 10 B.O. this week.

2) Tiny per screen average over the weekend of just $1171.

3) Will lose hundreds of more screens this weekend as a result (and more quality movies finally starting to hit theaters).

4) The bulk of Japan's international gross contributions have probably already been reflected in the reported numbers.

5) Lost all financial ground to GotG (the real trailblazer and the movie that made this one possible) and will gross less both domestically as well as internationally.

6) Will make less than Deadpool on both fronts as well (also not released in China).

7) Just barely got into the black when it crossed $700MM despite the presence of Batman, the Joker, the Flash, Harley Quinn and Will Smith.

8) Both audience (down to 6.7 on IMDB and 66% on RT) and critical scores continue to steadily decline, demonstrating a significant squandering of trust and goodwill amongst most fans and critics alike.

9) Still no sequel formally announced. Wonder why?

10) Decent B.O. does not equate to a decent movie.

-J.

Both audience (down to 6.7 on IMDB and 66% on RT) and critical scores continue to steadily decline, demonstrating a significant squandering of trust and goodwill amongst most fans and critics alike.

-J.

:gossip: It's been at 6.7 on IMDb for quite a while now. And yet the money kept pouring in.

:foryou:

But since you brought up IMDb, it is interesting to see the Male versus Female difference.

59LBBKQ.png

Is that the audience Harley really goes for, versus the general comic book market? Does she appeal more to females as a strong woman - though crazy?

(shrug)

7) Just barely got into the black when it crossed $700MM despite the presence of Batman, the Joker, the Flash, Harley Quinn and Will Smith.

The good thing with this recent 'confusion' that Suicide Squad needed to make $800MM to be profitable...then it was $700MM-$750MM...is the company it keeps as a sub-standard movie.

93R9wDX.png

Warner Bros. better take this as great luck there was such excitement over the characters, a light story did not detract from the audience attendance. And this is one of those movies where people note they have seen the movie more than once.

Now, going forward, Warner Bros. needs to take this financial win and make it about solid stories.

We're just getting started!

That's how I see it as well.

As the DC/Warner Bros. team works to build out a comic book universe made up of superheroes and non-superheroes that also have some form of continuity, there are going to be some stumbling blocks. Especially on finding its own footing versus just copying what Marvel Studios has accomplished (which also had its own Ed Norton 'The Incredible Hulk' -script and Captain America: The First Avenger mixed bag storyline). Especially trying to get a traditional studio that wants individual directors to feel like they control their ship having to sail down a building block path. It's definitely a shift in mentality.

But since you brought up IMDb, it is interesting to see the Male versus Female difference.

59LBBKQ.png

Is that the audience Harley really goes for, versus the general comic book market? Does she appeal more to females as a strong woman - though crazy?

(shrug)

While Harley is the huge draw, the other female characters are generating buzz as well. I saw some cool Enchantress costumes (one that even had enough dangling stuff to make a jingly sound similar to the movie as the woman walked around) at the Edmonton Expo a week and a half back, and there were a few girls dressed as Katana as well. It will be interesting to see how this holds going forward with the lesser two characters.

WRT appeal, I think the fact that Harley appeals to females for the same reason that Deadpool does to males - both characters are strong but also get ahead by behaving bad. lol

We're just getting started!

That's how I see it as well.

As the DC/Warner Bros. team works to build out a comic book universe made up of superheroes and non-superheroes that also have some form of continuity, there are going to be some stumbling blocks. Especially on finding its own footing versus just copying what Marvel Studios has accomplished (which also had its own Ed Norton 'The Incredible Hulk' -script and Captain America: The First Avenger mixed bag storyline). Especially trying to get a traditional studio that wants individual directors to feel like they control their ship having to sail down a building block path. It's definitely a shift in mentality.

I would say this movie is 'above standard' for DCEU so far. I while it didn't make quite as much as BVS, it 'feels' like it was generally more well received than MOS or BVS, and that a higher percentage of people who watched it didn't hate it than hated BVS. It appears to be a step in the right direction, if not a huge one. But DC should be very concerned that they haven't been able to connect Superman to the public in any meaningful way in a long, long time, probably since the first three seasons of Smallville, if you count that.

Also, I think its much more likely to get a Harley solo or Harley/Joker movie than a SS2 movie.

59LBBKQ.png

(shrug)

While Harley is the huge draw, the other female characters are generating buzz as well. I saw some cool Enchantress costumes (one that even had enough dangling stuff to make a jingly sound similar to the movie as the woman walked around) at the Edmonton Expo a week and a half back, and there were a few girls dressed as Katana as well. It will be interesting to see how this holds going forward with the lesser two characters.

WRT appeal, I think the fact that Harley appeals to females for the same reason that Deadpool does to males - both characters are strong but also get ahead by behaving bad. lol

Strong but imperfect and not impossible paragons of goodness and virtue like Wonder Woman, yep. I love Catwoman in Batman: The Animated Series and my heart pretty much just broke for Harley Quinn in the episode Mad Love. Rewatching Batman:TAS as an adult, I'm actually kinda amazed at some of the adult themes it contains. Why are a lot of modern cartoons so dumbed down?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch Suicide Squad in theaters since I just had an operation (already bought tickets but ended up giving them to my mom) so I'll just have to wait for my 4K Blu-ray preorder from Amazon. lol, double-dipping this title and have the Best Buy steelbook preordered, too. :)

I will speak for the "hater critics" so you know we're still here. :grin:

1) Did not make the Top 10 B.O. this week.

Imagine that. Week 9 and this movie wasn't in the top 10. (shrug)

5) Lost all financial ground to GotG (the real trailblazer and the movie that made this one possible) and will gross less both domestically as well as internationally.

And cost roughly $50 million less to make.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#5aadb6c42f36

So, GOTG was a money loser for Disney? Not to mention all the other superhero movies whom cost/revenue ratios were less than Suicide Squad?

Edited by rjrjr