• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Maybe it was an execution vs. expectation thing, but Blade 2 was so much better than it had any right to be it's ridiculous. It nearly expands beyond mere vampires into classic horror movie territory.

For his first big budget ($50 million) film, Guillermo del Toro just kills it.

The screenplay got Goyer the gig writing Batman Begins.

And you've got great supporting turns from Ron Perlman and a pre-Walking Dead Norman Reedus.

Blade 2 is what's possible when you make a B movie of a C-list comic character with grade A talent.

I definitely enjoyed seeing so many recognizable faces - to include Norman 'Turncoat' Reedus. I'll have to give this another try and see if it ranks higher for me.

I finally saw the movie this week after delaying a few weeks due to just being busy and the mixed reviews. I had nothing else going on, and my son is not back in school yet so we decided what the hell. I do have mixed feelings about the movie, and I was entertained.

Pros

1. Deadshot was so much better than I expected. For me he was the best part of the film. Will Smith far exceeded expectations.

2. Harley was good not great. I got a nice Harley vibe, but I am not sure Margo brought enough of the more zany, light hearted aspects to the character. It also seemed like a step back from where the character is in the comics. She is still too hooked on the Joker for poorly explained reasons. I like the post Joker Harley much better.

3. I liked Flagg

4. I liked Amanda

5. The first 20 minutes was actually very good.

Cons.

1. One of the most generic plots I have seen in years. The last 1 hour basically had no plot other than get to the big cloud. I can honestly say not a single plot twist or beat caught me by surprise. I could have told you for 10 minute in that El Diablo was the one to make the big sacrifice, and that Slipknot would be the perfunctory we exploded his head.

2. Outside of Deadshot, Harley, Flagg, and El Diablo, the other characters were completely undeveloped canon fodder. Movie would likely have been better if they would have been left out.

3. Tonally disjointed. The beginning had an almost gritty feel to it. Action was mainly gunplay. The Enchantress and the final battle felt like they were from a different movie, and felt campy. Enchantress overall was a bad villain choice. For some reason the last sequence reminded me of the original Ghostbusters.

4. The CGI was off. The last sequence and the molten rock soldiers looked terrible. The El Diablo destroying the prison grounds was shown three times, and I have seen better CGI in home done YouTube videos.

5. Gangster Joker.

6. Enchantress seems like a poor villain choice. Her mystical and campy (do to the CGI) qualities clashed with the general tone of the film and "hero" team.

So I guess my feeling are closely in line with many others expressed here. A ok, entertaining movie, that feels like a largely wasted opportunity.

Something I've been meaning to ask and I'm sure there's an obvious explanation that I missed.

When the squad arrived to pick up Amanda, who exactly did Amanda shoot and why?

Something I've been meaning to ask and I'm sure there's an obvious explanation that I missed.

I'm pretty sure that she killed her own people to ensure the word on Suicide Squad won't spread

low-level employees who she didn't want to have around as witnesses.

I'm pretty sure that she killed her own people to ensure the word on Suicide Squad won't spread

BINGO!

low-level employees who she didn't want to have around as witnesses.

BINGO!

Shouldn't that qualify it as homicide squad?

But they are effectively innocent in all this. Doesn't killing them in cold blood make her nearly as much of a criminal as the squad she's trying to control? Wouldn't such an act be deserving of the wrath of the Batman? I never had her pegged as a killer, more of a no-nonsense, tough as nails type. Doesn't this move drastically cheapen her integrity? Was Flag on board with the move?

International numbers have not been updated yet to reflect the $600MM David Ayer is celebrating. Still, that is an impressive Domestic Box Office number.

:ohnoez:

8IWCR4r.png

Remaining box office releases:

Greece: 25 August 2016

Japan: 10 September 2016

Maybe it was an execution vs. expectation thing, but Blade 2 was so much better than it had any right to be it's ridiculous. It nearly expands beyond mere vampires into classic horror movie territory.

For his first big budget ($50 million) film, Guillermo del Toro just kills it.

The screenplay got Goyer the gig writing Batman Begins.

And you've got great supporting turns from Ron Perlman and a pre-Walking Dead Norman Reedus.

Blade 2 is what's possible when you make a B movie of a C-list comic character with grade A talent.

(thumbs u

I loved the original Blade, but I always thought Blade II got to run away with the whole vampire mythology a lot better and by adding a love interest for Snipe's character gave him the humanity we only saw in quick flashes in between the 2nd unit set pieces of the first movie. I consider that movie the true ending to the franchise, as it went off on an emotional highnote admist the CG and gore. Trinity (not awful,) but not quality feels too much like an unnecessary cash grab with decent moments sprinkled here and there, when Triple H and Parker Posey isn't hamming.

But they are effectively innocent in all this. Doesn't killing them in cold blood make her nearly as much of a criminal as the squad she's trying to control? Wouldn't such an act be deserving of the wrath of the Batman? I never had her pegged as a killer, more of a no-nonsense, tough as nails type. Doesn't this move drastically cheapen her integrity? Was Flag on board with the move?

She has to be both for the purposes of national security. An excellent portrayal.

She has to be both for the purposes of national security. An excellent portrayal.

I don't agree with that. She killed multiple people with families that weren't really doing anything wrong just to keep the project she spearheaded under wraps because it wasn't going her way. The project went sideways because the asset under her "control", Enchantress, escaped and was now wreaking havoc.

Killing those innocent men seemed like a coward's move and the primary motivation seemed to be to cover her own rear. She may attempt to justify it by saying it was in the name of national security, but she was the one who ultimately compromised national security by thinking she could control something she clearly couldn't.

It seemed like she was scared and just panicked. I liked her character up until that point. That moment was a big departure from who she was in the rest of the movie.

I don't agree with that. She killed multiple people with families that weren't really doing anything wrong just to keep the project she spearheaded under wraps because it wasn't going her way. The project went sideways because the asset under her "control", Enchantress, escaped and was now wreaking havoc.

Killing those innocent men seemed like a coward's move and the primary motivation seemed to be to cover her own rear. She may attempt to justify it by saying it was in the name of national security, but she was the one who ultimately compromised national security by thinking she could control something she clearly couldn't.

It seemed like she was scared and just panicked. I liked her character up until that point. That moment was a big departure from who she was in the rest of the movie.

And you don't have to :) However, I don't see her character in the way you described she should be. The Waller in Suicide Squad is not the Waller in Arrow... Arrow Waller is all collateral damage one minute, then showing some morals in the next. SS Waller has no morals to tap into.

In the scene where she shoots the FBI agents, she wasn't scared or panicked. She was cold and emotionless. Bang bang, problem solved. Those weren't members of her team. Those were FBI agents she used to assist in her current situation. They didn't have clearance for the SS project, so they had to go...

You don't have to like a character to think they're good.

And you don't have to :) However, I don't see her character in the way you described she should be. The Waller in Suicide Squad is not the Waller in Arrow... Arrow Waller is all collateral damage one minute, then showing some morals in the next. SS Waller has no morals to tap into.

In the scene where she shoots the FBI agents, she wasn't scared or panicked. She was cold and emotionless. Bang bang, problem solved. Those weren't members of her team. Those were FBI agents she used to assist in her current situation. They didn't have clearance for the SS project, so they had to go...

Good morning, Sunshine!

:hi:

I have to agree. Amanda Waller is all about cold, well-planned decisions meant to achieve a goal. Her character traits remind me of an article I read a few years back.

The Disturbing Link Between Psychopathy And Leadership

The hallmarks of the psychopathic personality involve egocentric, grandiose behavior, completely lacking empathy and conscience. Additionally, psychopaths may be charismatic, charming, and adept at manipulating one-on-one interactions. In a corporation, one’s ability to advance is determined in large measure by a person’s ability to favorably impress his or her direct manager. Unfortunately, certain of these psychopathic qualities – in particular charm, charisma, grandiosity (which can be mistaken for vision or confidence) and the ability to “perform” convincingly in one-on-one settings – are also qualities that can help one get ahead in the business world.

Sound familiar? She is all about the mission, and anyone that gets in the way of that is meant to be sacrificed without even a worry about how someone's family will feel if they die.

Good morning, Sunshine!

I have to agree. Amanda Waller is all about cold, well-planned decisions meant to achieve a goal. Her character traits remind me of an article I read a few years back.

The Disturbing Link Between Psychopathy And Leadership

The hallmarks of the psychopathic personality involve egocentric, grandiose behavior, completely lacking empathy and conscience. Additionally, psychopaths may be charismatic, charming, and adept at manipulating one-on-one interactions. In a corporation, one’s ability to advance is determined in large measure by a person’s ability to favorably impress his or her direct manager. Unfortunately, certain of these psychopathic qualities – in particular charm, charisma, grandiosity (which can be mistaken for vision or confidence) and the ability to “perform” convincingly in one-on-one settings – are also qualities that can help one get ahead in the business world.

Sound familiar? She is all about the mission, and anyone that gets in the way of that is meant to be sacrificed without even a worry about how someone's family will feel if they die.

Sounds like a few people I know lol

'Don't Breathe' is killing it at the box office.

‘Don’t Breathe’ $22M+ Opening Is An August Record For Screen Gems – Late Night Update

5TH Update, Friday 10PM: Over 60% K-12 schools and colleges are back in session, but there’s nothing like a decent horror film to dynamite students away from their books, and this weekend there’s Sony Screen Gems/Stage 6’s Don’t Breathe which is overperforming with a $22M+ opening.

Don’t Breathe‘s overall CinemaScore is a B+, which is huge for a horror film and a boom for Alvarez whose 2013 reboot of Evil Dead received a C+. Horror titles rarely receive overall A scores, and getting a B+ is akin to getting an A on the CinemaScore scale, especially with an R-rated title such as this.

The industry’s August champ Suicide Squad slides to second in its fourth FSS with an estimated $11.6M, -44% for a running total by Sunday of $282.4M. No title in 2016 has held the No. 1 spot for four weekends in a row. Suicide Squad was the fifth title to hold No. 1 for three weekends straight following Finding Dory, The Jungle Book, Zootopia and Deadpool.

Suicide Squad Writer John Ostrander Weighs In On Critics Of The Film

It wasn’t long ago that Suicide Squad reached a box-office milestone when its global grossing passed $600 million. Warner Bros. Pictures has raked in all kinds of cash with the super-villain flick, allowing Suicide Squad’s earnings to silence the critical who've plagued the film. Of course, naysayers flocked to the film as critics bashed Suicide Squad around with words as damaging as Harley Quinn’s baseball bat. Of course, the film did have its champions like Suicide Squad’s writer John Ostrander.

“I do have problems — whether it’s the Squad or not — when a critic comes in with an agenda already. They are not looking at the movie for what it is. I have read several of the reviews that were just fine, even not that keen on it. As long as they were looking at it honestly, that’s fine. When somebody comes in with an attitude, "I’m sick of superhero movies," "I am not going to give them a break," "it has to be a masterpiece to get a good word out of me," I don't think that’s right or fair.”

And, of course, the writer did bring up Suicide Squad’s staggering box-office haul as evidence of its success. “I know the box office isn’t an arbiter of what’s good or bad, but you have to take a look at how much money Squad has made so far. I think it has done really well,” he said.

However, Ostrander had admitted the film has its flaws. “The antagonist(s) are not well defined and, to my mind, you need a good antagonist to help define the protagonist(s),” he explained. But, when it comes to the film’s casting and such, the writer had only nice things to say about Will Smith and Viola Davis - two cast members who received flack for their roles.