• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

But they are effectively innocent in all this. Doesn't killing them in cold blood make her nearly as much of a criminal as the squad she's trying to control? Wouldn't such an act be deserving of the wrath of the Batman? I never had her pegged as a killer, more of a no-nonsense, tough as nails type. Doesn't this move drastically cheapen her integrity? Was Flag on board with the move?

She has to be both for the purposes of national security. An excellent portrayal.

I don't agree with that. She killed multiple people with families that weren't really doing anything wrong just to keep the project she spearheaded under wraps because it wasn't going her way. The project went sideways because the asset under her "control", Enchantress, escaped and was now wreaking havoc.

Killing those innocent men seemed like a coward's move and the primary motivation seemed to be to cover her own rear. She may attempt to justify it by saying it was in the name of national security, but she was the one who ultimately compromised national security by thinking she could control something she clearly couldn't.

It seemed like she was scared and just panicked. I liked her character up until that point. That moment was a big departure from who she was in the rest of the movie.

And you don't have to :) However, I don't see her character in the way you described she should be. The Waller in Suicide Squad is not the Waller in Arrow... Arrow Waller is all collateral damage one minute, then showing some morals in the next. SS Waller has no morals to tap into.

In the scene where she shoots the FBI agents, she wasn't scared or panicked. She was cold and emotionless. Bang bang, problem solved. Those weren't members of her team. Those were FBI agents she used to assist in her current situation. They didn't have clearance for the SS project, so they had to go...

You don't have to like a character to think they're good.

I think what it boils down to is that I was getting something different from the character than others here. I've never seen Arrow, so I can't really comment on that version of Amanda.

What I initially liked about the character in Suicide Squad is the fact that this non-meta woman was uncompromisingly resolute in the face of these murderers, psychopaths, monsters, and supernatural beings despite their best efforts to intimidate her. She always let them know who was running the show.

What I also liked was she was very by-the-book. She's a government agent who had to sell her idea for the Suicide Squad to a room full of high-ranking government officials. She was abiding by the rules to get this team off the ground knowing that if anything went wrong, the government would throw her team under the bus and disavow all knowledge. She was working within the system to accomplish her goals and was proving that in a world where meta-humans are starting to increase in numbers, normal people can still maintain control in an organized environment as long as they're smart, calm, and rational.

Suddenly, a member of her team goes rogue and her control is lost. Instead of doing what she said she would do if word of the Squad got out (disavow), she instead protected her squad at the expense of innocent government officials.

Play out what would have happened if she'd have let them live. The mission at hand was still to get the Squad to Enchantress to stop her. That part doesn't change. The only thing that changes is what happens once things return to normal. Word of the Squad probably gets out and Amanda is blamed for the whole thing and gets in a whole mess of trouble. She doesn't want that, so she eliminates the "loose ends" to save her own neck. This is what struck me as a cowardly move that undid the characterization they established at the beginning. She felt the need to go off -script and change the rules mid-game to save herself from getting in trouble.

The Squad was initially formed to attempt to have control over individuals who could fight for the public in the event that the next Superman weren't so benevolent. In the end, she met up with Bruce Wayne to turn over information on known metahumans, which told me she at least lost some confidence in her idea by the end of the movie. She may not even take the Squad out again. Who knows? But her choice to murder innocent people instead of a) facing the music for her mistakes or b) following through with her original plan for the Squad should they be revealed to the public made me find the character much weaker and more selfish than she came across in the beginning of the movie.

I have no knowledge of this character outside the movie. Perhaps I got a bad read of her from the beginning. (shrug)

Just on Friday's estimates alone, and with International Box Office results not being updated since 8/21. Wow!

ggdl47q.png

pM4MsLM.png

Remaining box office releases:

Greece: 25 August 2016

Japan: 10 September 2016

Not bad, considering Ayer's 2014 Schwarzenegger action thriller Sabotage did less than $18 million worldwide.
Which I still need to see.

It was bad - not horrible, just disappointing given the talent & premise involved.

Could be worth a watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but the underrated Mindhunters is a better bet for your time if you're into a "someone killing off close-knit group of cops 10-Little-Indians-style" flick.

Or you could just read David Baldacci's "Last Man Standing."

But they are effectively innocent in all this. Doesn't killing them in cold blood make her nearly as much of a criminal as the squad she's trying to control? Wouldn't such an act be deserving of the wrath of the Batman? I never had her pegged as a killer, more of a no-nonsense, tough as nails type. Doesn't this move drastically cheapen her integrity? Was Flag on board with the move?

She has to be both for the purposes of national security. An excellent portrayal.

I don't agree with that. She killed multiple people with families that weren't really doing anything wrong just to keep the project she spearheaded under wraps because it wasn't going her way. The project went sideways because the asset under her "control", Enchantress, escaped and was now wreaking havoc.

Killing those innocent men seemed like a coward's move and the primary motivation seemed to be to cover her own rear. She may attempt to justify it by saying it was in the name of national security, but she was the one who ultimately compromised national security by thinking she could control something she clearly couldn't.

It seemed like she was scared and just panicked. I liked her character up until that point. That moment was a big departure from who she was in the rest of the movie.

And you don't have to :) However, I don't see her character in the way you described she should be. The Waller in Suicide Squad is not the Waller in Arrow... Arrow Waller is all collateral damage one minute, then showing some morals in the next. SS Waller has no morals to tap into.

In the scene where she shoots the FBI agents, she wasn't scared or panicked. She was cold and emotionless. Bang bang, problem solved. Those weren't members of her team. Those were FBI agents she used to assist in her current situation. They didn't have clearance for the SS project, so they had to go...

I think what it boils down to is that I was getting something different from the character than others here. I've never seen Arrow, so I can't really comment on that version of Amanda.

What I initially liked about the character in Suicide Squad is the fact that this non-meta woman was uncompromisingly resolute in the face of these murderers, psychopaths, monsters, and supernatural beings despite their best efforts to intimidate her. She always let them know who was running the show.

What I also liked was she was very by-the-book. She's a government agent who had to sell her idea for the Suicide Squad to a room full of high-ranking government officials. She was abiding by the rules to get this team off the ground knowing that if anything went wrong, the government would throw her team under the bus and disavow all knowledge. She was working within the system to accomplish her goals and was proving that in a world where meta-humans are starting to increase in numbers, normal people can still maintain control in an organized environment as long as they're smart, calm, and rational.

Suddenly, a member of her team goes rogue and her control is lost. Instead of doing what she said she would do if word of the Squad got out (disavow), she instead protected her squad at the expense of innocent government officials.

Play out what would have happened if she'd have let them live. The mission at hand was still to get the Squad to Enchantress to stop her. That part doesn't change. The only thing that changes is what happens once things return to normal. Word of the Squad probably gets out and Amanda is blamed for the whole thing and gets in a whole mess of trouble. She doesn't want that, so she eliminates the "loose ends" to save her own neck. This is what struck me as a cowardly move that undid the characterization they established at the beginning. She felt the need to go off -script and change the rules mid-game to save herself from getting in trouble.

The Squad was initially formed to attempt to have control over individuals who could fight for the public in the event that the next Superman weren't so benevolent. In the end, she met up with Bruce Wayne to turn over information on known metahumans, which told me she at least lost some confidence in her idea by the end of the movie. She may not even take the Squad out again. Who knows? But her choice to murder innocent people instead of a) facing the music for her mistakes or b) following through with her original plan for the Squad should they be revealed to the public made me find the character much weaker and more selfish than she came across in the beginning of the movie.

I have no knowledge of this character outside the movie. Perhaps I got a bad read of her from the beginning. (shrug)

Perhaps.

Regarding the paragraph in bold type, that was just Waller doing what she had to do to get her foot in the door.

And eliminating loose ends would be in character.

Not bad, considering Ayer's 2014 Schwarzenegger action thriller Sabotage did less than $18 million worldwide.
Which I still need to see.

It was bad - not horrible, just disappointing given the talent & premise involved.

Could be worth a watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but the underrated Mindhunters is a better bet for your time if you're into a "someone killing off close-knit group of cops 10-Little-Indians-style" flick.

Or you could just read David Baldacci's "Last Man Standing."

Two words not often used together...

She specializes in controlling people in order to achieve national security interests. Supposedly she became so coldhearted due to the death of family members.

If I remember right, there was a scene in Belle Reve where they gave Deadshot his weapons to demonstrate his skills. Will Smith points the pistol at that guard that kept taunting him. Amanda Waller tries to convince him the pistol is a dummy, and to go ahead and pull the trigger. I guess she was trying to demonstrate how she will convince people to kill.

She specializes in controlling people in order to achieve national security interests. Supposedly she became so coldhearted due to the death of family members.

If I remember right, there was a scene in Belle Reve where they gave Deadshot his weapons to demonstrate his skills. Will Smith points the pistol at that guard that kept taunting him. Amanda Waller tries to convince him the pistol is a dummy, and to go ahead and pull the trigger. I guess she was trying to demonstrate how she will convince people to kill.

I saw that as more of a first-hand assessment of Deadshot. She knows his background (his daughter) and wanted to see how he'd react in the situation. She knew exactly how he'd react because she studied his file but wanted to be absolutely sure. She was just confirming what she already suspected...that Deadshot would do anything to reduce his sentence to get back to his daughter.

As far as national security interests, it seems that she unleashed the biggest threat since Doomsday. If that's not cause to throw her in jail, I don't know what is. Instead, she walks free and unscathed at the end of the movie like nothing was her fault. It seems to me that she's just as much a villain in the movie as the rest of the Squad. The only real "Hero" in the movie is Flag...and maybe Diablo. :flamed:

I saw that as more of a first-hand assessment of Deadshot. She knows his background (his daughter) and wanted to see how he'd react in the situation. She knew exactly how he'd react because she studied his file but wanted to be absolutely sure. She was just confirming what she already suspected...that Deadshot would do anything to reduce his sentence to get back to his daughter.

As far as national security interests, it seems that she unleashed the biggest threat since Doomsday. If that's not cause to throw her in jail, I don't know what is. Instead, she walks free and unscathed at the end of the movie like nothing was her fault. It seems to me that she's just as much a villain in the movie as the rest of the Squad. The only real "Hero" in the movie is Flag...and maybe Diablo. :flamed:

I like your train of thought on that scene, as it makes sense. But if she was already telling him the gun wouldn't go off anyway, what was she testing - if he would fall for her lie? But I do like the direction you are going is it was a test of how badly he wanted to see his daughter.

Did you stay for the mid-credits scene? It shows how Amanda Waller was able to keep herself from being called out for the situation. Especially since Enchantress falling under her control initially would have been confidential information, only known by the people in that board room she pitched her Task Force X to.

There are so many spoiler tags, people will think we're talking about them :D

I would disagree with you there, buddy. I thought the -script did a good job of portraying Flag in a slightly less than favourable light. He let his love life get in the way of his job and that allowed Waller to control him. There was also more than one occasion where he came across as the bad guy. It was only after he and Deadshot settled their differences that he started looking more heroic. They wanted him to have a chequered past. It made him fit with the rest of the team.

I liked Diablo. His atonement was quite heroic but not sure I'd think of him as a hero.

I have to ask... who's your favourite turtle?

I only watch them on Blu-ray now.

Civil War next.

So, a long way behind, all the time.

International numbers have not been updated yet to reflect the $600MM David Ayer is celebrating. Still, that is an impressive Domestic Box Office number.

:ohnoez:

8IWCR4r.png

Simply amazing numbers in today's movie box office climate. After the TMNT,Independence Day,Bourne,Star Trek and Ghostbuster movies bombed we find Suicide Squad comes up big.

That's right folks in that Suicide Squad wiped the floor with them over the summer.

Suicide Squad beating both Star Trek and TMNT to me is an amazing feat.

International numbers have not been updated yet to reflect the $600MM David Ayer is celebrating. Still, that is an impressive Domestic Box Office number.

8IWCR4r.png

Simply amazing numbers in today's movie box office climate. After the TMNT,Independence Day,Bourne,Star Trek and Ghostbuster movies bombed we find Suicide Squad comes up big.

That's right folks in that Suicide Squad wiped the floor with them over the summer.

Didn't we have a bet?

The incredible ‘Suicide Squad’ end credits and easter eggs are officially online

GpNiuam.png

One of the coolest parts about Suicide Squad was actually its end credits. No, not because the movie was over (I really liked Suicide Squad!), but because it had awesome graphics to accompany the credits.

Buddha Jones is the Los Angeles based company that created those awesome credits, and they’ve put them online for the world to see! They also did work on the trailers, TV spots, and even the movie itself. They did some of the visual effects and they uploaded a highlight reel of that too!

Suicide Squad MOE

Suicide Squad VFX

8IWCR4r.png

Didn't we have a bet?

Yes,but it doesn't start until Wonder Woman and it was only for domestic box office. BvS and Suicide Squad were not part of our bet.

8IWCR4r.png

and Batman v Superman outgrossed The Legend of Tarzan- hard to believe as we live here in the amazing 1930's

There are so many spoiler tags, people will think we're talking about them :D

I would disagree with you there, buddy. I thought the -script did a good job of portraying Flag in a slightly less than favourable light. He let his love life get in the way of his job and that allowed Waller to control him. There was also more than one occasion where he came across as the bad guy. It was only after he and Deadshot settled their differences that he started looking more heroic. They wanted him to have a chequered past. It made him fit with the rest of the team.

I liked Diablo. His atonement was quite heroic but not sure I'd think of him as a hero.

I have to ask... who's your favourite turtle?

Flag certainly created his own obvious weakness when he fell for Enchantress' alter ego (I forget her name). While this connection did provide the motivation for him to lead the Squad, I'm not sure his relationship with Enchantress ever compromised the mission in any serious way. When Enchantress showed up unexpectedly and left to revive her brother, I believe he reported it her brief absence to Amanda. He wasn't hiding anything. I think he hesitated to kill her at the end, but she still died moments later, making it a moot point. He seemed to be a good soldier with a soft spot for a woman. I don't remember him looking like the bad guy during the movie, though it's entirely possible I missed something. Care to elaborate as to when he looked like the bad guy?

And you're right...Diablo had some heroic acts, but he was still an gang boss who has hurt/killed many people. Similar to Darth Vader taking countless lives but making one heroic decision. Does it make him a hero? Probably not. But Diablo and Deadshot were my favorites on the Squad.

And Donatello. ;)